Closed Thread

Reload Thread: New Setup Questions

Spaceboy464 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New Setup Questions

I hope this is in the right spot...it seems like it is. Anyway I've recently lost both my subs, one broke and I then blew the other after putting it in a box, and had to take my baffle setup out.

Baffle (my setup):

After having the one good sub in a box I thought it sounded a lot better. I had no more rattles, the baffle wasn't secured strongly, and deeper bass, it probably wasn't sealed to well either. I decided I would try another setup similar to this, but not as fancy:

More like this probably:

There are a few things I would like advice on before I decide on sticking with the IB setup or going with a new setup. If I don't go IB I will have a hole in my rear deck. I was thinking I could (learn how to) fiberglass over the hole and make it look really nice. Another thing is on the left side of my trunk I have a factory XM receiver behind the panel. The car above did not have this so I would have to figure out where to move it and how to remount it. I was hoping to have the amp mounted in a similar fashion, on the panel, but maybe make it look like it's floating or something. I was hoping to make a new panel out of fiberglass, figuring that out and how to mount it will probably be a new post. If I go back to IB I will have to have a shop do it since I have attempted an IB before and did not do to well. The other setup I can figure out with the help of some friends.

What do you guys think? I need somthing light and I need to be able to use my trunk. Thanks!

I just wanted to add that the shop I would go to feels that IB is the best way to go on German cars so they do alot of them.

2004.5 Audi A4 3.0q (For Sale)
    2003.5 BMW M3 (Current)

Volenti is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: New Setup Questions

If you go with the side enclosures you will need the holes in the rear deck so the bass has a path into the cabin space, you could make a frame and cover it with speaker cloth to hide the holes.

What I normally do with european cars is use bandpass enclosures, I use a design with a shaped curve in the response that complements the cabin gain of the vehicle, depending on the particular sub and space available I can do SQL right through to pure spl (spl needs lots of space)

Closed Thread