Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Planning ahead (box sizing)

Frraksurred is offline Ubersomethingerother

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Planning ahead (box sizing)

Aight, I'm building a sealed box for my 2 12's. They're old and require 1.75' of space for each in a sealed box. I'm planning to update subs eventually and go to a ported enclosure. I've noticed a lot of today's subs "recommend" 1.75' for a ported application. My question is; if I build a sealed box now (each chamber with 1.75'), can I port the box when I install the newer subs later?

In other words, if I buy 2 12's that need 1.75' of space each for a ported enclosure, and I build a sealed enclosure with 1.75' of space for each sub now... can I port the box with the appropriate sized tube then?

Also, when the manufacturer "recommends" a size for their sub, are they already taking into account the space the sub itself will take up?

Just curious. This will be the first box I have built on my own and I hate wasting money.

Thanks for your help guys. God bless each of you.

+t+ FRrAkSuRreD +t+
    Jesus is STILL the answer!

Alpine CDA-7873 ~ CDT HD-62CF ~ Orion Cobalt 2100's ~ Orion XTR 12" X 2 sealed

Vizzo is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am sure you could turn a sealed box into ported later on, no problem. Just take into consideration where you want your ports later on when you cut holes for the subs. I don't think that the sub manufacturer takes into consideration the sub displacement when they tell you the recommended cubic feet. Hope that helps some. Good luck with your box.

*Jason Vislosky*
    2 12" Shocker Audio Xtremes
    j_vizzo@yahoo.com

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Planning ahead (box sizing)

Originally posted by Frraksurred
    Aight, I'm building a sealed box for my 2 12's. They're old and require 1.75' of space for each in a sealed box. I'm planning to update subs eventually and go to a ported enclosure. I've noticed a lot of today's subs "recommend" 1.75' for a ported application. My question is; if I build a sealed box now (each chamber with 1.75'), can I port the box when I install the newer subs later?

In other words, if I buy 2 12's that need 1.75' of space each for a ported enclosure, and I build a sealed enclosure with 1.75' of space for each sub now... can I port the box with the appropriate sized tube then?

Also, when the manufacturer "recommends" a size for their sub, are they already taking into account the space the sub itself will take up?

Just curious. This will be the first box I have built on my own and I hate wasting money.

Thanks for your help guys. God bless each of you.

Yeah man. Ports can be added later with just a little more work if you have the room. Just remember when you do port it. To account for the displacement of the port as well.

Some sub manufacturers do, some don't. I usually check out the website for more info if I can.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Frraksurred is offline Ubersomethingerother

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys, that's what I wanted to know.

+t+ FRrAkSuRreD +t+
    Jesus is STILL the answer!

Alpine CDA-7873 ~ CDT HD-62CF ~ Orion Cobalt 2100's ~ Orion XTR 12" X 2 sealed

Closed Thread