Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Box help - what would you do?

KK07 is offline woop woop

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Box help - what would you do?

Hey there, okay well about 4 or 5 months ago, I put my new system in, here's what it is currently and the way it will be until this summer when I get components:

HU : Kenwood Excelon X889
    Speakers: 5.25" Pioneer coaxials
    Speaker amp: Denon DCA-3180 2 channel amp
    Subwoofers: 2 12" 2004 Kicker L7s in a 5 cu feet box tuned to 36 hz
    Subwoofer amp: Crossfire BMF1000D

Gains have been set with a DMM, bass boost and all that is off, trunk is sound deadened, wiring is 1/0 ga, big 3 is done, back speakers have been removed and while the system does get loud, I feel it could be louder. I can't afford to run anymore power because that would require a HO alternator which I don't want to spend money on just yet. Now here's my question, when I had my box built, we built it with subs up, ports facing out, the dimensions we used were so big that the box just barely fit in there. We had to remove the back seat, and then bend the metal inserts to jam the box in there. When we did this, the guy who built the box for me decided that the best way to put the box in would be subs up, ports facing into the car because the ports would have no room (like 1-2" between the ports and the back of the trunk.

This is all in a 97 Grand Am and I'm just wondering if its worth paying my installer $30 CAD to help me take that box out of there, spin it around, and put the box in with ports facing the back of the trunk. I can remove the back seats easily but I'd have trouble removing the center console. So my options are, attempt it myself with another friend or pay the money to have it done for me or just leave it the way it is. Is my installer right when he thinks it would not be worth it to flip it around? I keep reading that ports facing the rear will make a big difference so I'd like to do it if it will help me get a bit louder. How much room do ports need? Thanks a lot guys, I'll try to get some pics today if its nice.

Volenti is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Box help - what would you do?

The ports need at least their own diameter in clearance, if you restrict the port opening you will reduce output and slightly change tuning frequency.

You also need good clearance all around the enclosure so the pressure wave can travel into the cabin space.

If you don't have both of these then I wouldn't change the enclosure orientation.

tRiGgEr is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Cramming your trunk with a box is not the greatest idea. I doubt moving it would yield a $30 worth increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobydoo View Post
    Before poking fun at others at least learn to spell. I won't go into all the gammar mistakes!
    Irony?

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Your sig... Im trying to figure out if you think he spelled grammar wrong. Because, he didn't. Irony indeed.

swimfreak26 is offline I am cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Take one out, aim the other at the back and see what the result is (with one driver).

For the record, I don't think it's worth $30 to turn the boxes.

Fuc, how come when I copy and paste **** it never gives me the cool blue thing in my sig. Sonofa*****withhotredtabascosauceonmynutz!!!!!
    References: g30ffr3y,Cjjackson85,Pearldrummer, Rattlebrain, Harrison486, excelerater, ax600, XtrmAudioCncpts

Closed Thread