Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Eclipse Aluminum

posted this in the sub forum and got little response so I figured I would give it a try here.

I just bought an Eclipse SW 8122 a few weeks back and built my first box for it. Based on some suggestions that I received here as well as from Eclipse I went with a sealed box around 1.25 ft^3. The amp that I am using is a PPI PC2150 giving the sub 600 watts.

I am still working out the kinks in the setup the main one being the to adjust the level between my sub and my interior speakers(waiting for my amp to get fixed). I will start off by saying that at this point I am still running the garbage factory speakers that came in my car so the solution to my problem may come when I replace the front speakers with some nice comps and my rear with a pair of good mid bass drivers but here is my problem. When running a 0-100 Hz frequency sweep I notice that the sub output is at its loudest between roughly 35-65 hz and then it starts to drop off.

If I were interested in gaining more output above 60/70 hz would a new box design help? Like I mentioned I have a feeling that upgrading my speakers all around might be the key but I figured I would check to see if a new box would help also. I have toyed with the idea of building a ported box for the sub but was not sure how to handle port for a sloped box(I want to make sure the box is angled so it fits up against the rear seat).

thanks for the help and or suggestions.

dkguitarist is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Eclipse Aluminum

ported box would help with the tuning. and tuning that high would be horrible sq, unless you're competing then it won't matter.

2003 Chevy Cavalier
    HU:880PRS - SUB AMP: IA 20.1 - SUB: 13w7 (15" 05 XXX awaiting new box)

FOR SALE: USHER 9950 TWEETERS, USAMPS HCA-25 2 CHANNEL, XXX XBL^2 6.5" MIDS, Kicker KX300.2 amp

Refs: zachzchw, AcidicDreams, Mr Tibbs, Mr Teacha, vetkilr, Blunt, Showrides, Mihklo, QtrHorse, vosschs, nvruckus, jeeper07, sakura, iceteebone, 2loud4u, eatank, brents, bookechu, young_gun, maldecido33, pickup1, angryeric116, go_go_thrash, gentlejax, superblack350z, and 100% ebay feedback. (dkguitarist454)

noonej21 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So I guess it would make more sense to go ahead and upgrade my speakers and leave the sub as is for now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i'd say give the box a few months and see how you like it after that. and yes, upgrading your speakers will def improve your sq and give you better output than factory. amping them will make them shine like so many people have said before.

2003 Chevy Cavalier

FOR SALE: USHER 9950 TWEETERS, USAMPS HCA-25 2 CHANNEL, XXX XBL^2 6.5" MIDS, Kicker KX300.2 amp

Refs: zachzchw, AcidicDreams, Mr Tibbs, Mr Teacha, vetkilr, Blunt, Showrides, Mihklo, QtrHorse, vosschs, nvruckus, jeeper07, sakura, iceteebone, 2loud4u, eatank, brents, bookechu, young_gun, maldecido33, pickup1, angryeric116, go_go_thrash, gentlejax, superblack350z, and 100% ebay feedback. (dkguitarist454)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I already have(or plan to once my amp is returned from repair) the factory speakers amped just to adjust the level between my sub and speakers. I set the gain on my sub amp based on the gain setting tutorial but my speakers scream when the volume goes up and the sub just does not keep up. Maybe I will start to research for some solid comps up front that will also allow me to add on a midbass as rear fill.

thanks again for the help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

also, ppl on here will tell you ditch the rear fill, get some good 2-way comps and they'll def be a huge improvement over stock. also, you kno you use a 1,000hz test tone (iirc) for comp amp right? 50hz tone for sub. (0db reference of course).

2003 Chevy Cavalier

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yes about the test tones for setting gains. I downloaded a bunch through a link provided on this site.

with regards to rear fill, does it make sense to dump them? The reason I ask is because in my car (2000 Altima) the rear deck vibrates like a mother(I have plans to deaden it soon). Will this adversely affect the performance of the any speakers up there? I may run a search to see some opinions on getting rid of rear fill speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

a component system done properly won't need rear fill as it would throw the sound off. and would sound better. but also you may want to keep it for passengers in the back (just keep it down so it doesn't screw with your fronts). i'm sure squeak will chime in here and pwn my ***. lol.

2003 Chevy Cavalier

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

once again thanks for all the help. I have been searching through and reading some older threads on this very topic. Maybe I will just kill the rear fill that I have now and see how it sounds. Even though I still am using stock speakers I will at least get to see how it is. Now I guess it is time to search for comps!

thank again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yw. and we'll be here when you need help. lots of helpful people on here. g/l with the searching.

2003 Chevy Cavalier

Closed Thread