Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 1/3rd Theory

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1/3rd Theory

I was talking to a friend at work the other day. He used to be into car audio big time about 10 years ago. Anyways, a friend of his had a 94 S-10 Reg Cab, and they wanted to put 4 10s behind the seats. As you could imagine, space was an issue, so my friend discussed it with an installer at a local shop. He said that in theory, if you had more than one sub in a box, you would need only 1/3rd of the original space for the next sub. As in, if you had a 1 cubic foot box for one sub and you wanted to add another, you would only need to add another 1/3rd cubic foot to the box.
    I was wondering whether this actually worked this way, and if it does, for more than two subs in a box, would you add a 1/3rd of the 1/3rd you added for the second sub, or a 1/3rd of the total space of the first two subs. My friend just fudged the theory and added 1/3rd of the box space for the first sub for the third and fourth sub.

2004 Ford Freestar
    Trying to figure out where to put a sub without compromising space in the back...

Vincent9515 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 1/3rd Theory

Nah. It'd be nice.

Two subs need twice the airspace if you want to keep everything else the same.

Refs:

NisAznMonk, Moe Lester, krouchchocolate, InhumanAcura, davidfre21. southwest713, carguy83, nVRuckus, redlinese-r, kisswahili

AIM: bigv113x

Boxes:
    www.vincesaudio.com

blue93corsica is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

never even heard of that theroy before

For all your fiberglassing needs, come check out Fiberglassforums.com

swimfreak26 is offline I am cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The only time that's true is when you have three subs and you're adding a 4th. That way you have the space needed for 3, which divided by three is the space needed for one, which is what you need to add in order to add the 4th.

In general though, nope, no dice. Each sub needs its own space, and there's no short cuts or ways to get around that.

Fuc, how come when I copy and paste **** it never gives me the cool blue thing in my sig. Sonofa*****withhotredtabascosauceonmynutz!!!!!
    References: g30ffr3y,Cjjackson85,Pearldrummer, Rattlebrain, Harrison486, excelerater, ax600, XtrmAudioCncpts

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Another Device
    I was talking to a friend at work the other day. He used to be into car audio big time about 10 years ago. Anyways, a friend of his had a 94 S-10 Reg Cab, and they wanted to put 4 10s behind the seats. As you could imagine, space was an issue, so my friend discussed it with an installer at a local shop. He said that in theory, if you had more than one sub in a box, you would need only 1/3rd of the original space for the next sub. As in, if you had a 1 cubic foot box for one sub and you wanted to add another, you would only need to add another 1/3rd cubic foot to the box.
    I was wondering whether this actually worked this way, and if it does, for more than two subs in a box, would you add a 1/3rd of the 1/3rd you added for the second sub, or a 1/3rd of the total space of the first two subs. My friend just fudged the theory and added 1/3rd of the box space for the first sub for the third and fourth sub.
    No.

If the subs need 1cuft each, then they need 1cuft each.

bjfish11 is offline FisherCustoms.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i think that is more of a hypothesis than a theory.

Authorized SSA Loaded Enclosure Dealer

Another Device is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I figured so. Thanks for the replies.

2004 Ford Freestar
    Trying to figure out where to put a sub without compromising space in the back...

DFW40 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

he might have been thinking of adding subs isobaric style. He would need an even number of subs.

JL site
    This is typically accomplished either by placing two woofers face to face or by coupling two woofers with a small chamber. The result of coupling the two speakers is that the coupled pair (iso-group) can now produce the same frequency response in half the box volume as a single speaker of the same type would require

Closed Thread