Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

18xxx (first box)

I am thinking of building a sealed box for my new 18xxx. I am just assuming that the driver displacement is .2 cubic feet. RE recommends 4.2 cubes for a sealed box. so i am shooting for 4.4 total cubes right? to get ~4.4 cubes I found 22x23x15 (HxWxD) inches. that needs to be the inside numbers right? using 3/4 MDF that would be 23.5" tall 24.5" wide and 16.5" deep outside dimentions. am i going to need to brace the box? if so, how should I do that? and are those numbers correct?

also, I am planning on using wood glue for the panels. do i need to use another sealant, caulk perhaps? and should i coat the inside of the box with anything? if so, what should i use? thanks for the help.

refs...
    twoohfour, PRIVATEpastry, hellomota, DBfan187, etznova, iamamp3pimp, btnhfan, XylerB, Digital B, Showrides, Thunder9500, Termlab, fawd06, PepsiFiend69, bholtmeier, Megalomaniac, bjfish11, j3bus2k3, probmxstyle, brigante, massiveaudiocw, JoeHemi57, BigRed98Ram, inapontiac, CFaber, VarsityBumper, 3.5Max6spd, Geezerpoop, phatcat600, Pimpdaddyq, XaznKewLguyX, ABSOLUTEAUDIO, lslugz, mgbcs, TeZ, mazdakid, Reson8, LaserRed38

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

Re: 18xxx (first box)

Quote Originally Posted by PatFitz9
    I am thinking of building a sealed box for my new 18xxx. I am just assuming that the driver displacement is .2 cubic feet. RE recommends 4.2 cubes for a sealed box. so i am shooting for 4.4 total cubes right?
    Does RE specify if that 4.2 is with or without basket displacement ?
    to get ~4.4 cubes I found 22x23x15 (HxWxD) inches.
    4.39cuft

that needs to be the inside numbers right?
    yep

using 3/4 MDF that would be 23.5" tall 24.5" wide and 16.5" deep outside dimentions.

you can construct the enclosure how ever you want as long as the internal volume remains the same

am i going to need to brace the box? if so, how should I do that?

probably would be a good idea. Check out this site all kinds of good info here http://www.bcae1.com/ Remember any bracing done will have to be deducted from the internal volume.

also, I am planning on using wood glue for the panels. do i need to use another sealant, caulk perhaps?

Silicon works the best in my opinion. It dries the quickest, and remains flexable. Smells so good too

and should i coat the inside of the box with anything? if so, what should i use?

You don't technically have to, but you can. Polyester resin works well. So does polyurethane
    thanks for the help.

PatFitz9 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

what does coating the inside of the box with resin do? that is the only part that i am unfimilar with.

refs...
    twoohfour, PRIVATEpastry, hellomota, DBfan187, etznova, iamamp3pimp, btnhfan, XylerB, Digital B, Showrides, Thunder9500, Termlab, fawd06, PepsiFiend69, bholtmeier, Megalomaniac, bjfish11, j3bus2k3, probmxstyle, brigante, massiveaudiocw, JoeHemi57, BigRed98Ram, inapontiac, CFaber, VarsityBumper, 3.5Max6spd, Geezerpoop, phatcat600, Pimpdaddyq, XaznKewLguyX, ABSOLUTEAUDIO, lslugz, mgbcs, TeZ, mazdakid, Reson8, LaserRed38

PatFitz9 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

and RE's site just says 4.2 cubes... i just assumed that it was without driver displacement. does anyone know for sure?

refs...

Closed Thread