Ohhhhhh man, well here is the deal...this box took me about 10 hours to build...yes 10 hours.....WOW thats a lot of time to be inhaling polyurethane and bondo fumes!!
Well I had to do it all in my garage SO...(this includes making trips to the storeS) 1. I had to lay out all my cuts on the 2 4x4 boards that I got...did that... took about an hour.
2. had to measure out 1 1/8- 1 1/4 onto each cut for the saw guide. I had to use one of those hand saws that rip wood for every cut!!. Blade went bad 1/4 of the way through, so the length changed due to blade width.... took about half hour
3. Had to clamp down clamps on the ruler to the wood So i could make a straight cut 1/2 hour
4. Had to clamp down clamps on the wood to the table I was using so the wood wouldnt move when I started cutting it
5. Due to imperfections in the cuts, I ran out of wood, so I had to go buy ANOTHER SHEET!. half hour
6. Covered all the wood in resin, thinking it would be best to have it all covered before I glued it and what not....WROOOOOONG!!! Noob mistake! 30 min..
7. TRIED to glue a few pieces together, when i realized that resin covered wood does not glue to another piece of resin covered wood. ( i was trying to put all the resin covered pieces on the inside, then when it was all put together i was going to cover the outside as well. 30 min.
8. Heeeere where it took some time....NOW since I had all the boards covered in resin, there were drip stains on all the edges and some faces, so in order to have the glue stick, I had to sand alllll the resin off the edges, and part of the faces where other pices of wood were going to be glued to. 2 hours!!
9. Started gluing pieces together finally. BUTTT once again because of the imperfections in the cuts, I had to sand and fill with resin and fiberglass AND bondo just to make sure all the cracks were filled in.
So doing all this took about 2 hours.
10. Fill in all corners and edges with fiberglass/resin/ and bondo for extra strength...2 hrs.
11. Screwing it all down and resining the outside final panel...hour.
12. etc. etc. running down to the basement about 50,000 times looking for ****. Oh yea, and I had to use a drill that needed a chuck, so I had to predrill one face, then get out the chuck and change to the pre-sink.....-then get out the chuck and change to the philips tip......then the same thing over on every face!!....hour.
So yes it did take forever to build, it doesnt look to great, but I could cover it in carpet if I wanted to but......yaaa. Its the quality that matters. I feel good about it because it was my first box. I feel that in the end it will be a success. And let me tell ya. THIS BOX WILL NOT BREAK!!. I feel bad for the guy that hits my trunk...if it ever happens, cause its his front end thats gettin ****ed up.
Also a lot of my mistakes were beginner mistakes, ESPECIALLY!! covering all the wood in resin first...costed me about 3-4 hours alone!! And just not having a shop to cut all the wood with, like a table saw which is definitely key...i dunno if anyone in here has built a box with just a hand saw before, but WOW~!! Im just glad that its a very solid box...that was my 2nd objective...besides having it sound good.