Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: First Box I've Built LOGGG..... With Pics

snb778 is offline blaugh!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First Box I've Built LOGGG..... With Pics

Ohhhhhh man, well here is the deal...this box took me about 10 hours to build...yes 10 hours.....WOW thats a lot of time to be inhaling polyurethane and bondo fumes!!

Well I had to do it all in my garage SO...(this includes making trips to the storeS) 1. I had to lay out all my cuts on the 2 4x4 boards that I got...did that... took about an hour.

2. had to measure out 1 1/8- 1 1/4 onto each cut for the saw guide. I had to use one of those hand saws that rip wood for every cut!!. Blade went bad 1/4 of the way through, so the length changed due to blade width.... took about half hour

3. Had to clamp down clamps on the ruler to the wood So i could make a straight cut 1/2 hour

4. Had to clamp down clamps on the wood to the table I was using so the wood wouldnt move when I started cutting it

5. Due to imperfections in the cuts, I ran out of wood, so I had to go buy ANOTHER SHEET!. half hour

6. Covered all the wood in resin, thinking it would be best to have it all covered before I glued it and what not....WROOOOOONG!!! Noob mistake! 30 min..

7. TRIED to glue a few pieces together, when i realized that resin covered wood does not glue to another piece of resin covered wood. ( i was trying to put all the resin covered pieces on the inside, then when it was all put together i was going to cover the outside as well. 30 min.

8. Heeeere where it took some time....NOW since I had all the boards covered in resin, there were drip stains on all the edges and some faces, so in order to have the glue stick, I had to sand alllll the resin off the edges, and part of the faces where other pices of wood were going to be glued to. 2 hours!!

9. Started gluing pieces together finally. BUTTT once again because of the imperfections in the cuts, I had to sand and fill with resin and fiberglass AND bondo just to make sure all the cracks were filled in.
    So doing all this took about 2 hours.

10. Fill in all corners and edges with fiberglass/resin/ and bondo for extra strength...2 hrs.

11. Screwing it all down and resining the outside final panel...hour.

12. etc. etc. running down to the basement about 50,000 times looking for ****. Oh yea, and I had to use a drill that needed a chuck, so I had to predrill one face, then get out the chuck and change to the pre-sink.....-then get out the chuck and change to the philips tip......then the same thing over on every face!!....hour.

So yes it did take forever to build, it doesnt look to great, but I could cover it in carpet if I wanted to but......yaaa. Its the quality that matters. I feel good about it because it was my first box. I feel that in the end it will be a success. And let me tell ya. THIS BOX WILL NOT BREAK!!. I feel bad for the guy that hits my trunk...if it ever happens, cause its his front end thats gettin ****ed up.

Also a lot of my mistakes were beginner mistakes, ESPECIALLY!! covering all the wood in resin first...costed me about 3-4 hours alone!! And just not having a shop to cut all the wood with, like a table saw which is definitely key...i dunno if anyone in here has built a box with just a hand saw before, but WOW~!! Im just glad that its a very solid box...that was my 2nd objective...besides having it sound good.

Refs: Projectpat, XylerB, decipha, blados, protonman, Wlmrs, Nucleareskimo, gl0ck, mobeious, JBizzle (picked up box) mlstrass (box design) Mazzasec (bought 18" RD Alpha from him) SKMFKR: Traded subs Wrenchguy: Sold 18" Q to him. psychoacoustics: bought some bullet horn tweets from him Shinju: bought some 0awg wire from him. Sold a box and 18" HDC318 to chitown_impala. Bought my 2 custom 15's from 99Vic on steave meade forum. NJTStang11- picked up 18" SSX and box from him krispy cream SCAMMED ME $200!!!

2 Pistol Shrimps in a 4.0 cu^ft box tuned to 32 hz for the WIN !!

"You can't compare, don't stare, cause I got the ultimate Mary Jane"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: First Box I've Built LOGGG..... With Pics

Refs: Projectpat, XylerB, decipha, blados, protonman, Wlmrs, Nucleareskimo, gl0ck, mobeious, JBizzle (picked up box) mlstrass (box design) Mazzasec (bought 18" RD Alpha from him) SKMFKR: Traded subs Wrenchguy: Sold 18" Q to him. psychoacoustics: bought some bullet horn tweets from him Shinju: bought some 0awg wire from him. Sold a box and 18" HDC318 to chitown_impala. Bought my 2 custom 15's from 99Vic on steave meade forum. NJTStang11- picked up 18" SSX and box from him krispy cream SCAMMED ME $200!!!

SlimShady16 is offline People are stupid...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow lots of extra not needed work but looks good.

+And Shepards We Shall Be. For thee, My Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shallflow a river forth to Thee and teeming With souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti+

*BoonDock Saints*

Pop da Hatch is offline Can haz?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hand Saw? **** bro you needa get the right tools. If any of those cuts are straight would be a miracle as well as how long it took to cut it all by hand - dayum.

XtrmAudioCncpts is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wow you peed all over it. jk looks pretty good i bet its nice and sturdy

Quote Originally Posted by Devillain00
    XAC = pimpin since been pimpin

prioracy is offline i pack da magnums

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what sub is going into the box?

System

01 Corolla

Headunit - Alpine 9830
    Front stage - polk 6.5 coaxials
    Front stage amp - UsAmps Is2080
    Subs - 2 Stereo Integrity mags in a 4cf box tuned to 33hz
    Sub amp - Powerbass 3000a at 2ohm

danteBirosel is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wow, it really did seem like you pee'd and marked your territory on your first enclosure. lol...

Congrats on your first build!

-Dante

also known as... LivinLife

[ References ] q-ball (kickerL5), ssackett (yellowtop), chaarlieee, Kenny Polluck (motoBTheadset), BassAddictJ, Iamamp3pimp (enclosure), lilmaniac2 (paintball gun, motors, & others), cardinalsfan (I paid half, den paid the rest), amorsh (sub), nVRuckus, LeofromtheH (amp), k4rts, rassymx, sublime0420x, lax916, ilaydit, KSilver2000, Raven, mtdewelf, SiX, KngOfThePkngLot, Dozy_production, supa_c, davidfre21, trevor87, bumpn_gt, Pistonsfav70, dbubble & moreeee!!!

MikeyB is offline CarAudio.com Addict

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks like an 15" SX to me, I don't have a table saw so I do the same thing you do. I just lay down my measurements minus the deck width on my saw. Clamp a straight edge down on the line and just rip down and keep it up against the straight edge. Perfect cut everytime . Oh and for the ripping apart of the wood get one of the non-splitting blades or whatever there called lol, I picked one up and it works excellent with MDF.

Refs- hessdawg, Pepsifiend69, iltoivfe, ownage9, lifted95blaze, Buckshot, da box king, Po.Sic, baseballer1100, vetkilr, dkguitarist, Queball, qtipextra, LaserRed38, 350_regal, RidnClean, BushJ311 and a bunch more...

THUNDERBIRD is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

huh i would have just started all over. and bought the right tools or borrowed them. lowes with cut the wood for u, the pictures make it look like crap but i am sure thats just the pictures. i hope u had a power drill for the screws.

94' thunderbird *parked*<
    4.6 V8 with a shift kit
    clarion dxz 645mp clarion sirius tuner
    ED 6000v.2- front jbl 5.25 comps- rear
    dynamated and edeaded trunk lid, rear deck, front doors
    Big 3 in green of course
    viper 791xv w/ battery backup
    3 jl 10w0
    2000 ford ranger supercab 3.0v6 4x4
    stock hu
    alpine mrp-m350
    2 9kv.3's
    clifford matrix rsx 50.5x
    spring time getting clarion MAX675VDII and front components possibly jbl's again

Pyro_By_Nature is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks like a XXX (different top plate than the SX)

Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction. - Bob Marley
    2005 Subaru WRX
    1990 Honda CRX Si

Refs.: NHustlar, t00p, Kenny Pollock, vitveet, defj., mendon99, trevor87, saltyreefguy, willster, Iammurph, Dimensions684, kungfoojesus, karleon, bonestock, highhorsepwr, digital_ripper04, scottie johnson, stevew007, slammed, joshs98runner, PBateman, Sakura, duece212, mtx11, dirtye30, queball, audioarsonal, KHARPS. Not including box designs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks like a XXX (different top plate than the SX)

2005 Subaru WRX
    1990 Honda CRX Si

Refs.: NHustlar, t00p, Kenny Pollock, vitveet, defj., mendon99, trevor87, saltyreefguy, willster, Iammurph, Dimensions684, kungfoojesus, karleon, bonestock, highhorsepwr, digital_ripper04, scottie johnson, stevew007, slammed, joshs98runner, PBateman, Sakura, duece212, mtx11, dirtye30, queball, audioarsonal, KHARPS. Not including box designs.

dbornotdb is offline Custom Fabricator

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just think about how hard it was o cut that box out with the hand saw.
    Then think about all the houses built back in the day with hand saws.
    Then think about poor ole Noah. ****.

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer than
    the sweetness of that cheap price!

mikey060 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbornotdb
    Just think about how hard it was o cut that box out with the hand saw.
    Then think about all the houses built back in the day with hand saws.
    Then think about poor ole Noah. ****.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yea it is a 15" XXX. And no I did not use a Jig Saw. It was one of those hand saws though for ripping wood, I dunno what they are called. I already spent like 120 bucks + on stuff for the wood, so thats like 2 weeks spendings for me, I didnt want to just toss it. The holes I had to cover with bondo were like 1/16th little cracks from the pieces of wood that were off like the smallest amount, but couldnt be pulled together with glue and screws...then that cause another end to be uneven...on and on it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did you use one of these?

Or one of these?

?

2005 Subaru WRX
    1990 Honda CRX Si

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast