Closed Thread

Reload Thread: carpeting!?

mschramek is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

carpeting!?

Quick Question about carpeting. Im about to carpet my sealed box. When I seat the subs into the box its ok that they lay on the carpet or do I have to cut the carpet away so it sits directly on the wood. All I was worried about is how well will it seal.

Eclipse 8053, Infinity Kappas 6x8's, 2-15" Boston Competitors, Pioneer Premier 800W amp, 4 Channel 400W Fosgate Power Amp

fatryan is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: carpeting!?

cut the carpet away, then put down some compressed weather stripping, then lay subs in

req
    req is offline am a mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if your sub has a gromet (rubber thing where the screws are) take that off, and put the sub in the hole, get a BRAND NEW razor blade and cut the carpet round the basket (get as close as you can)

then put the gasket back on the sub and it should cover up the little carpet edge

weather stripping on the bottom edge of the sub gasket helps too, but make sure its only like 1\8" thick, dont wanna make it too thick. a SMALL DRIED bead of hotglue right on the box also works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by req
    if your sub has a gromet (rubber thing where the screws are) take that off, and put the sub in the hole, get a BRAND NEW razor blade and cut the carpet round the basket (get as close as you can)

then put the gasket back on the sub and it should cover up the little carpet edge

weather stripping on the bottom edge of the sub gasket helps too, but make sure its only like 1\8" thick, dont wanna make it too thick. a SMALL DRIED bead of hotglue right on the box also works.
    dried?

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fatryan
    dried?
    Yeah you don't want to glue the sub in. You just want a gasket to help seal it. Dried hot glue is still rubbery.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ramos
    Yeah you don't want to glue the sub in. You just want a gasket to help seal it. Dried hot glue is still rubbery.
    but its still pretty stiff. i wouldnt think it would make a good seal. but hey if it worked for you, i guess its worth a try

96civ is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hope I'm not stealing this thread, but does anyone have a site or something I can find information on how to properly carpet a box? I'm not really sure how you wrap the carpet around the sides if it has side offsets, etc.

Worlddre is offline Big Darkie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 96civ
    I hope I'm not stealing this thread, but does anyone have a site or something I can find information on how to properly carpet a box? I'm not really sure how you wrap the carpet around the sides if it has side offsets, etc.
    if by side offsets you mean the sides of the box are sunken then its easy...just take a really sharp razor knife....once you have wrapped the rest of the box leave the sides blank....cut out towards you with the knife at each of the four corners of the box...now llay each corner down the way it is supposed to lay...take the knife again and cut from the corner to the middel of the box(do on each corner)..now glue all of this down and if you can get one use a pizza roller to tuck the corners in into the wood..now take the knife and cut around the the inside of the offsets...now you should have the offtet wrapped and the center blank....now take another sheet of carpet glue to the blank part take you pizza roller and tuck it into the side of the offsets and use the knife and cut around the corners as you did earlier and voila all done.....not sure how well i explained ill carpet one tomorrow and take pics for ya

"humility in the face of overwhelming genius will obviously amount to hypocrisy"

SSS 18734 is offline Dollar Menu Millionaire

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 96civ
    http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/u...;f=11;t=070780

Bought From:
    Absolutnockout, zachzchw, Untouchable11, j3bus2k3 (x2), 92c1v1c, jeeper07, acubsfan, bkjt05, Goldenknob, Goindef154, Basscourt2009, TeamSouthrnBass, oldschoolboomer, 99grandprixGT
    Sold to:
    Gearguy2001 (American Bass SQ780)
    Tw1st3d13 (2 Fi BL 15's)

Closed Thread