Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Box help for 2 NEW 15" Eclipse Ti's. Please check math calculations...

snb778 is offline blaugh!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Box help for 2 NEW 15" Eclipse Ti's. Please check math calculations...

First, Id like to say that I looked, and there arent any threads for a box on 15" Ti's since like 2004

I have 2 NEW 15" Eclipse Ti's on-the-way. Very excited, but I need some suggestions on what kind of box to make. I have heard that these can produce some nice numbers, but then again I have also heard that they like small sealed boxes?

Can I get some suggestions on either or, and some sizes? Tuning Frequencies?

I already did some calculations here, and this is what I got

For EBP, I took 22(fs)/ .39(Qes) and got 56.4. I guess anything over 50 is supposed to be ported.

THEN I calculated the F3 point with ((Vas/Vb+1)^.5)*Fs=F3....

So I did ((6.1/1.9+1)^.5)*22=45 Hz.

Whyyyy is it showing this sub wants to drop off at 45 Hz???? What did I do wrong

Refs: Projectpat, XylerB, decipha, blados, protonman, Wlmrs, Nucleareskimo, gl0ck, mobeious, JBizzle (picked up box) mlstrass (box design) Mazzasec (bought 18" RD Alpha from him) SKMFKR: Traded subs Wrenchguy: Sold 18" Q to him. psychoacoustics: bought some bullet horn tweets from him Shinju: bought some 0awg wire from him. Sold a box and 18" HDC318 to chitown_impala. Bought my 2 custom 15's from 99Vic on steave meade forum. NJTStang11- picked up 18" SSX and box from him krispy cream SCAMMED ME $200!!!

2 Pistol Shrimps in a 4.0 cu^ft box tuned to 32 hz for the WIN !!

"You can't compare, don't stare, cause I got the ultimate Mary Jane"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Box help for 2 NEW 15" Eclipse Ti's. Please check math calculations...

Here is the website..... http://www.eclipse-web.com/sw9100/sw9152.html

According to this, the Fs is 22 Hz...BUT, your right on the Qts. How do I get Qes?...

I see in your info it says .42...that still comes out to 52, which is border line...but I thought this sub wants a sealed box, or at least reccomended....any experience

Thanks for the help by the way

Refs: Projectpat, XylerB, decipha, blados, protonman, Wlmrs, Nucleareskimo, gl0ck, mobeious, JBizzle (picked up box) mlstrass (box design) Mazzasec (bought 18" RD Alpha from him) SKMFKR: Traded subs Wrenchguy: Sold 18" Q to him. psychoacoustics: bought some bullet horn tweets from him Shinju: bought some 0awg wire from him. Sold a box and 18" HDC318 to chitown_impala. Bought my 2 custom 15's from 99Vic on steave meade forum. NJTStang11- picked up 18" SSX and box from him krispy cream SCAMMED ME $200!!!

jimmyjames1700 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snb778
    Here is the website..... http://www.eclipse-web.com/sw9100/sw9152.html

According to this, the Fs is 22 Hz...BUT, your right on the Qts. How do I get Qes?...

I see in your info it says .42...that still comes out to 52, which is border line...but I thought this sub wants a sealed box, or at least reccomended....any experience

Thanks for the help by the way
    I while back I talked to somebody at TC Sounds, the Ti build house, and had him email me the real deal T/S parameters for the Ti's because there were so many variations of them on the web. Plus Eclipse Tech support didn't know either!

So here they are:

FS 28.48 Hz
    Qms 5.0
    Qes .427
    Qts .393
    Vas 77.96 liters
    Sd 720 cm^2 50% surround method
    RE 5.9 ohms
    Z 8 ohms
    BL 27.01 Tm
    PE 1000 WRMS
    SPL 88.24 dB

EBP = 67

I would recommend a vented enclosure about 2-2.5 cu ft tuned around 30-35 Hz(real world), or a sealed box between around 1.5-1.75 cu ft.

At my Car Audio shop we just picked up the Eclipse sub line a while ago (always head decks and seperates) and have done a few 12's (like mine) and a few 15's. I will say that these things shine in optimized vented boxes and many of our sales team and install techs prefer these to our W7' that we also sell/install.

I personaly would go with a 2.5 cuft vented box tuned to about 41Hz. This will give you a f3 of 31 hz and a very flat response. with only +1.8 dB peak at 41Hz and good low frequency extension.

Now I know what your are thinking, way to high of a tuning freq, however in my experience with designing and building vented boxes with the W7's and now Ti's the real world tuning ends up being about 6-8 Hz lower than designed.

Go to JL's website and look at their recommended vented boxes for the W7's and lcalculate what the box is actually tuned at with BB6 or something. Believe me, you will see that they are actually tuned about 7-8 Hz higher than the recommended/real world tuning freq. All a can say is things change when a sub is actually mounted and loaded in a vehicle with real world current flowing through the VC. Static T/S parameters shift among other things.
    Last edited by jimmyjames1700; 09-08-2005 at 03:02 PM.

1999 Chevrolet Malibu
    Head Unit: Eclipse CD8053
    Front Stage: Diamond Audio D651a
    Front Amp: Eclipse PA5422
    Sub Amp: Eclipse DA7122
    Subwoofer: Eclipse SW9122

RandyJ is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have mine in a 4.3^3ft box tuned to ~24Hz. I think it would be nicer in a smaller box but I also agree that they shine in ported enclosures.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

iiiiiiiiiiinteresting. Thanks guys. I really have only heard one of these in my life. It was in a 1.2 cu. ft sealed box in the back of a dodge SRT-4. Powered by a bd1500.1, and wowwww. This sub has raaange. Very powerful, Very clean. I was afraid this kids back window was going to break when he was just street beatin..

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok here is my next question. When making a DUAL sealed enclosure... is it acoustically better to share the chamber, or seperate them??

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snb778
    I guess anything over 50 is supposed to be ported.
    Just as an FYI: The general rule of thumb is that an EBP closer to 50 means the sub is better suited towards sealed, and EBP closer to 100 is better suited for ported, and subs in the middle can go go either way.

There's no rule that says any sub with an EBP over 50 has to be ported. It just helps give you a general idea of what type of enclosure the sub may more suited for.

With an EBP of 56, the sub would really be more suited for a sealed enclosure if you followed the EBP as a guide. Though, that's not to say that you couldn't have good results with a ported enclosure aswell.
    Last edited by squeak9798; 09-08-2005 at 05:38 PM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alright, very cool. Thanks a lot for the help guys. THESE THINGS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE HERE ALREADY~!~! (THE SUBS) This is kiiiiillin me!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yea, gonna split the box and make seperate chambers.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

has anyone built a sealed box for these recently by any chance?

Closed Thread