Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 13.6 Cubic Feet

i made a box at home this week for an 18 but the 18 hasnt arrived due to backorder problems at my warehouse.
    so to test out the sound of the box i installed a radio shack sub, 15" 100 watts rms 92spl. its extremely boomy , its got a 4 inch port that is 4 inches long. the box is 22.5 x 22.5 x 46.5 inside dimensions and 2ft x 2ft x 4ft outside.

i dont know how low this thign goes i dont have any instrument to measure HZ but i garuntee its gonna be below 30 i can feel more bass then i can hear.. the bass is felt much farther away then it is closer to the speaker .. it seems to carry out for like a hundred feet or more cuz i can hear it outside even tho its down stairs... strange but somehow i think the box works fine. maybe the port is too short maybe its just fine ... it seems fine for the 15 inch sub i got in there but the sub over exerts itself from time to time and the Voice coil hits the back plate and maybe thats from the port being too short or somethin i dunno but it still sounds better then a pair of 15's in a smaller box comparably. its as big as a refridgerator hence the nickname i gave it.. the Fridge..
    unfortunately i cant move it so it still sits where it was built in my basement , i forgot how much MDF weighs .. .
    i have to build a second one as with everything in stereo u have to have 2 speakers .. cuz i have a crown 2 channel amp. i bet its gonna sound even better with the pyramid 18" 1000 rms subs in em. just gotta get some casters mounted to roll it around where i need to. i am wondering would a SEALED enclosure perform as well if i made it the same size? or would i be wasting my time?
    large ported boxes are my specialty but maybe a big sealed one mite work good for tight bass.. any ideas?
    Last edited by berlyn0963; 08-21-2005 at 01:47 PM.

12voltaudio.net

blackMTXgold is offline PiMp MeMbEr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: 13.6 Cubic Feet

thats a HUGE box....so you have that in your house and your goin to keep it in there with that 18 HOLY BOOOOOOOMMM

JoseMCeee is offline $tack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yea thats a pretty massive box. If you threw a 18 avalanche in there, it would be game over.

GTonDubs is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

it over excurting cuase it does'nt like the box

if your box is 13.6 cubic feet and you have one 4" port that is 4" long as you say
    that box is tuned to 19hz, thats gonna hit really low for sure, but you wont have hardly any output at the higher frequencies

if you have 2 ports that are 4x4 it would be tuned at 26.5 hz, still a little low but great for SQ if you had a smaller box,
    i'd say go with a 32-36 hz tune for it to sound great with all types of music
    with the box beeing so big you can tune it up higher, get more SPL. and not worry about loosing out on the lows

Check Out My Gallery

JoseMCeee is offline $tack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GTonDubs
    it over excurting cuase it does'nt like the box

if your box is 13.6 cubic feet and you have one 4" port that is 4" long as you say
    that box is tuned to 19hz, thats gonna hit really low for sure, but you wont have hardly any output at the higher frequencies

if you have 2 ports that are 4x4 it would be tuned at 26.5 hz, still a little low but great for SQ if you had a smaller box,
    i'd say go with a 32-36 hz tune for it to sound great with all types of music
    with the box beeing so big you can tune it up higher, get more SPL. and not worry about loosing out on the lows
    like i said. Put a avalanche in there and it would be game over. Those match the specs

Closed Thread