Closed Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Reload Thread: Didn't soak resin like expected

  1. #1
    Cajundude's Avatar
    Cajundude is offline Member



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Kemah, Texas
    Posts
    120
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Didn't soak resin like expected

    The material I used to cover the box I am building (a lycra spandex mix that is thin) didn't really soak the resin like I expected. Gave the box a great shape but it did wrinkle a little during the drying process. This morning is is not hard like it should be. It is dry but not hard enough to pull the form objects from inside. I thought I used enough resin, maybe not. It did however curve to my forms great. Keep in mind that I am going to go into the inside and use a resin and Cabosil mixture to strenthen it (should I add strands to this mixture?). So, here are my options for the outside before pulling the form filling objects from the inside:

    1.) Pull material off and use a different fabric,
    2.) Slop another layer of resin on top of the fabric, or
    3.) Put one layer of chop mat and resin on the outside.

    This box will be finished and painted if it makes a difference on the above methods. I'm opting towards three right now. Thanks!







  2. #2
    req's Avatar
    req
    req is offline am a mod.



    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    15,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Didn't soak resin like expected

    try and put some matte\weave on the NON-VISIBLE side of the resin - so if you are making a box, or kick panels, put the fiberglass on the inside. also, try and mix a hardener rich batch of resin, and do a light coat on the outside

    if that dosnt work, id guess i would rip it off and try somthing else




  3. #3
    fo0manchu's Avatar
    fo0manchu is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    costa mesa
    Posts
    190
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Didn't soak resin like expected

    lycra spandex? I guess people use whatever they can get. but if the material you are using has too fine of weaves, like im assuming the spandex does, the resin will not soak in. Especially if the material is water resistant or has some kinda water resistant film on it. Doesn't water bead off of lycra spandex? Anyways, I would wait till it dries, bend the corner a little to see if the resin just cracks right off of the stuff. If it does, trash it and start over. If your shaping your box to something in your car right now, just stick with f/g mat. A lot easier, then you can cover it with whatever you want after you pulled it off.




  4. #4
    ruckus's Avatar
    ruckus is offline Banned



    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Didn't soak resin like expected

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajundude
    I am going to go into the inside and use a resin and Cabosil mixture to strenthen it (should I add strands to this mixture?).
    yes add chopped strands to it.




  5. #5
    Cajundude's Avatar
    Cajundude is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Kemah, Texas
    Posts
    120
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Didn't soak resin like expected

    Quote Originally Posted by fo0manchu
    lycra spandex? I guess people use whatever they can get. but if the material you are using has too fine of weaves, like im assuming the spandex does, the resin will not soak in. Especially if the material is water resistant or has some kinda water resistant film on it. Doesn't water bead off of lycra spandex? Anyways, I would wait till it dries, bend the corner a little to see if the resin just cracks right off of the stuff. If it does, trash it and start over. If your shaping your box to something in your car right now, just stick with f/g mat. A lot easier, then you can cover it with whatever you want after you pulled it off.
    Didn't use whatever I could get. I thought it would be good because of the stretchability. This is my first box build. Live and learn. If I knew what stuff was better and it cost $30 a yard I would buy it so that is not the issue. I asked this question on this forum before applying the stuff and was told it would be ok. In any event, it will turn out good, just a little extra work on finishing. I will use a different material on the second box for the car. I am building two, I decided to finish one completely so I could learn from mistakes just like this one.

    ruckus - thanks! will do.




  6. #6
    ruckus's Avatar
    ruckus is offline Banned



    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Didn't soak resin like expected

    What I use is the material thats the long shirts that women use for night gowns is. its like $3 a yard around here and besides the friggin duckies or little angels it works pretty good




  7. #7
    fo0manchu's Avatar
    fo0manchu is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    costa mesa
    Posts
    190
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Didn't soak resin like expected

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajundude
    Didn't use whatever I could get. I thought it would be good because of the stretchability. This is my first box build. Live and learn. If I knew what stuff was better and it cost $30 a yard I would buy it so that is not the issue. I asked this question on this forum before applying the stuff and was told it would be ok. In any event, it will turn out good, just a little extra work on finishing. I will use a different material on the second box for the car. I am building two, I decided to finish one completely so I could learn from mistakes just like this one.

    ruckus - thanks! will do.
    No worries, we all mess up a couple times before things come out right. But like i said in the last post, make sure that the resin does not come off the lycra easily. bend the corner and if resin pops right off then it is no good. Even if you cover it with f/g matt, if the resin didn't stick to the initial layer then everything after that will pop off over time. Especially in a sub box application where there will be a lot of vibrations. Good luck!




  8. #8
    req's Avatar
    req
    req is offline am a mod.



    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    15,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Didn't soak resin like expected

    i used some sort of really thin spandex\nylon stuff for my doorpod. when it stretched out- you could actually see through it it was so thin. the resin soaked right through it and even made a nice bead on the inside edge that i glassed off of. then i put a few layers of matte over the top and wrapped it in suede. turned out real nice. but this was for a doorpod and i couldnt add any more layers.

    just make sure the resin adhered to the fabric. if it didnt - rip it and do it with somthing else.




  9. #9
    Cajundude's Avatar
    Cajundude is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Kemah, Texas
    Posts
    120
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Didn't soak resin like expected

    I think I am good. I checked the inside and it is smooth like the resin soaked through. It just didn't pull much resin since it is so thin. I will reinforce the crap out of it on the inside. The ouside will also have body filler and then painted. It is starting to look like a box finally. I guess not too bad for my first attempt ever at fiber glass. I'll put up a post in a minute entitled "first fiberglass project", standby, gotta transfer and upload some pics.




Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. what kind of resin is good for fiberglassing?
    By RFmustang in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 12:25 PM
  2. fiberglass resin + skin
    By jellyfish420 in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 07:32 PM
  3. fiberglass resin
    By kwang125 in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 05:34 PM
  4. resin on carpet!
    By req in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 09:37 PM
  5. Resin
    By supa_c in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-21-2004, 07:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum