Closed Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Reload Thread: Finishing baltic birch ply

  1. #1
    JimJ's Avatar
    JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue



    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    31,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Finishing baltic birch ply

    What's the recommended way to finish baltic birch plywood? I'm trying to get a stained, darker look for it...is it as easy as staining it with some Minwax (although the edges would seem to be a problem, all the stained plywood pieces I've seen have moulding for the edges, something that doesn't work as well on speaker cabs) or is there another technique for getting a furniture-like finish to it?

    I'd post this to a cabinetry/woodshop forum, but I don't know of any...maybe rec.woodworking.







  2. #2
    maylar's Avatar
    maylar is offline Electrical Weenie



    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    62
    Posts
    3,418
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

    Re: Finishing baltic birch ply

    If it's cabinet grade stuff there should be no voids in the plys, so edges are a ~bit~ cleaner than with S2S interior grade ply. But they're still fugly.

    I always finish plywood edges with thin strips of solid wood. You can usually get Birch shelving that's a pretty close grain match to the plywood. If you're clever and have lots of patience you may be able to rip the veneer face off strips of scrap and use those. Woodworking suppliers also sell 3/4" wide rolls of "edge banding" veneer with iron-on adhesive already on it. Here's one source:

    http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=934-995

    Or you can mitre the corners at 45* and avoid edges altogether.

    Birch finishes well with Minwax stains and Urethane. Sand 220 grit and go for it.


    edit: Good woodworking forum: http://www.woodnet.net/forums/
    Last edited by maylar; 07-06-2005 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Additional info



    dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

  3. #3
    amedeuce's Avatar
    amedeuce is offline :crap:



    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Finishing baltic birch ply

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost
    I'd post this to a cabinetry/woodshop forum, but I don't know of any...maybe rec.woodworking.
    http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...reads.php?Cat=



    References

    Sold to jamesdean,jonny101abc,LowLinc,bumpinaintEZ,TurboDu devr4,SVT RELAMPAGO,mk_ ,Burnout956,bonesninja,yenwen,bhsdriller,dalucifer ,BoondockSaints,WillyG4444, alfmoney,btnhfan,dB Dom

    Bought From TeamPSI,ace_800, Zxcvtypo,bjfish11,atoz350,timbre-audio,Derrick824, lastcall,eclipsefool,rtillaree,PioneerPimp,6spdcou pe,ctmike,Thieroff


    Quote Originally Posted by bumpin buick View Post
    /yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by elmor001 View Post
    I don't think I'm the dumb one here. You just told someone to go divide themself.

    H/U Alpine 9887
    Mids Seas ER18RNX
    Tweets LPG 25NFA
    Subs 2 10" Memphis Audio Shallow Mount Subs
    Mids/Tweets Amp Kicker ZX850.4
    Sub Amp Kicker ZX1000.1

  4. #4
    amedeuce's Avatar
    amedeuce is offline :crap:



    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Finishing baltic birch ply

    Quote Originally Posted by maylar
    If it's cabinet grade stuff there should be no voids in the plys, so edges are a ~bit~ cleaner than with S2S interior grade ply. But they're still fugly.

    I always finish plywood edges with thin strips of solid wood. You can usually get Birch shelving that's a pretty close grain match to the plywood. If you're clever and have lots of patience you may be able to rip the veneer face off strips of scrap and use those. Woodworking suppliers also sell 3/4" wide rolls of "edge banding" veneer with iron-on adhesive already on it. Here's one source:

    http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=934-995

    Or you can mitre the corners at 45* and avoid edges altogether.

    Birch finishes well with Minwax stains and Urethane. Sand 220 grit and go for it.


    edit: Good woodworking forum: http://www.woodnet.net/forums/
    Didnt see that you had posted the links, Sorry.



    References

    Sold to jamesdean,jonny101abc,LowLinc,bumpinaintEZ,TurboDu devr4,SVT RELAMPAGO,mk_ ,Burnout956,bonesninja,yenwen,bhsdriller,dalucifer ,BoondockSaints,WillyG4444, alfmoney,btnhfan,dB Dom

    Bought From TeamPSI,ace_800, Zxcvtypo,bjfish11,atoz350,timbre-audio,Derrick824, lastcall,eclipsefool,rtillaree,PioneerPimp,6spdcou pe,ctmike,Thieroff


    Quote Originally Posted by bumpin buick View Post
    /yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by elmor001 View Post
    I don't think I'm the dumb one here. You just told someone to go divide themself.

    H/U Alpine 9887
    Mids Seas ER18RNX
    Tweets LPG 25NFA
    Subs 2 10" Memphis Audio Shallow Mount Subs
    Mids/Tweets Amp Kicker ZX850.4
    Sub Amp Kicker ZX1000.1

  5. #5
    Beat_Dominator's Avatar
    Beat_Dominator is offline Yea, thats Mecha Godzilla



    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Phoenix Arizona
    Age
    32
    Posts
    21,986
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Finishing baltic birch ply

    Just stain that biotch! I would recommend numerous light coats so that you will get exactly the color that you want.



    Comming Spring 2009


    I make rear-loaded, double crabshell, isobaric enclosures.

  6. #6
    Dozerboy's Avatar
    Dozerboy is offline Member



    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Socal
    Age
    31
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Finishing baltic birch ply

    What about having dovetail joints? There hard to make, but considering you strength in your box you can beat a dovetail and IMO they look good.



    HU Kenwood Excelon KDC-X959
    Sub Amp Clarion DPX-1000.2
    Subs (2)Polk GNX-104

  7. #7
    JimJ's Avatar
    JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Posts
    31,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Finishing baltic birch ply

    Dovetails would kick serious ***, but for the box design I was thinking of, it would be very difficult to implement.

    I've been kicking that idea around in my head for a while...eventually I'll get teh ballz to do it




Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. 1/2" baltic birch vs 3/4" mdf
    By TwistedMovistar in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 03:30 AM
  2. High Density paticle board (nova ply)
    By SPL140.2 in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 11:00 PM
  3. Got $125 need help finishing system
    By themainman in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 01:02 AM
  4. General Box FINISHING Tips
    By amedeuce in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 03:04 AM
  5. vc birch vs mdf
    By idontwant1 in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 05:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum