+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: My car keeps killing (completely ruining) car batteries. Where to start?

eb2phkingood is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My car keeps killing (completely ruining) car batteries. Where to start?

Started with a new red top optima. Was completely gone after about 8 months. Replacement red top, fried 8 months later. Called optima, they said my system (2 sundown 12's and 6 type R 6.5" speakers pushed by correctly sized amps) was too big and that I should use a yellow top and that that was the problem. Yellow top just fried yesterday. Now the batterys don't just become weak. They go DEAD. I trickle charged it for 12 hours overnight and in the morning the battery wouldn't even hold an ounce of charge.

Gauge in car reads 14v. However, when the turn signal is on, it slightly "ticks" back and forth each time the turn signal clicks. You can also hear the turn signal through the speakers if you have no music playing, just white noise. I pulled head unit, went through all the wires, nothing.

Lastly, I have a horrible speaker whine. I've tried everything. re-wiring, opposite side rca, shielded rca's, quality amps, 3 different grounds all less than 6" in length with a 0 gauge cable. I have NOT done the big 3 however.

So those are all my clues. Not sure the whine or turn signal are correlated with the dead battery, but I figured they probably were. Where should I begin? I pulled every fuse 1 by 1 and nothing fixed the whine issue. Even the fuses under the hood. Thanks everyone!

2000 trans am ws6

P.S. I only drove this car a total of 1,391 miles last year. I did however make sure it was started at least every 7 days if it hadn't been driven and I let it run for 25 minutes each time, religiously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: My car keeps killing (completely ruining) car batteries. Where to start?

Well with your batteries I would assume it would be your alternators fault because they are being constantly discharged and recharged because the alternator isn't enough to power them while "bumping" for your other questions I really don't know.

rfluvinmf is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While pulling the fuses, you should have been checking for a parasitic draw. You should also have your alt tested.

argenis69 is online now SQ Bass Lover

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Test your alternator first

02 Nissan Maxima
    HU JVC KW-AV61BT.
    Front stage Image Dynamics 6.5 CX62 V2. Rear stage O2 Audio 5 1/4in.
    Cadence Tweeters. KnuKonceptz Rcas and Wiring.
    Kicker Impulse x3i 3-way Active Electronic Crossover(disconnected for now).
    JL Audio 300/4 . Crescendo BC3500D.
    15" Fi Audio SP4 fully loaded in 3.5cu ft flared ported box.
    200 amp HO Alt. One complete +/- run of Knu Ofc 0 gauge with big 3, volt meter inside, biggest acid battery under hood, Battery Isolator. A XS Power D3100 and a Crescendo Logic F-31HP battery in trunk.

brian84corvette is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i cant stand optima batterys. ive killed my share of red and yellow tops. they are junk compaired to most other sealed agm batterys.
    i recomend deka intimadator - the biggest size you can make fit safely in your battery location.

brians ghetto burb of amazing and cheap and loud build log
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/604559-get-loud-cheap-ghetto-blaster-burb.html

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

I went through 3 sets of redtops about two years ago,and they are junk!they ruined my 255 amp alt as well as the batts themselves and a damned good amp in the process.Get that alt checked out,and as stated get a good AGM battery under the hood,and even one for the system in the rear.Ive been happy with my Orileys Super Start Extremes group 78 for the past two years,that Ive got four in the truck now, and two in the Honda CRV

2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm [email protected] Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

brian84corvette is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

an additional thing to check is the alternator output - your wanting to only see dc power. alternators make ac power in the windings as they spin and there are 6 little diods in them (3 for the positive and 3 for the negative ) if any of them are messed up they may allow ac current to leak thru the system - and i bet that would cause some issues with a battery for shure.
    how to check ?
    i would imagine you would need an o scope

brians ghetto burb of amazing and cheap and loud build log
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/604559-get-loud-cheap-ghetto-blaster-burb.html

+ Reply to Thread