Closed Thread

Reload Thread: decent alarm?

BeAlLsTaR13 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

decent alarm?

well with my new build about to be starting here soon, i figured i should finally invest in an alarm as well.

i was at best buy (not getting one there don't worry - but i do have a friend that works there that can get me a discount on one) just lookin around, most are expensive as hell, and come with the door locks remote start ect, yet i already have all of that stuff

what's a good alarm for me to get, without having to pay for all that extra **** i already have (door locks remote start and ****)

also planning on installing it myself.

budget, not really sure.. whats the average price? 150-250 i guess? cheaper would be best though lol

New build in progress...

pickup1 is offline Audiosystem,Dynaudio...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Re: decent alarm?

I'm fixing to get a new one...you could have my autopage rs1000 for around 100.2 way.remote start...don't have to hook all the extras up...but they are there if you need it.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i was looking at getting this:

Viper - Viper 5701 Responder LE 2-Way Security and Remote Start System

could i just install the alarm portion and be on my way? or is the alarm and remote unit all in one, where i would need to do both?

New build in progress...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

edit - double post

New build in progress...

DMP
    DMP is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeAlLsTaR13 View Post

could i just install the alarm portion and be on my way? or is the alarm and remote unit all in one, where i would need to do both?
    Yup. If you dont want the remote starter portion hooked up, then dont hook it up. That means dont hook up the wires required for the remote starter.

Independent Installer in NJ

x1le is offline I'm certified.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you can snag a decent alarm only for 30-40 bucks.

I INSTALL STUFF.
    mecp advanced.
    i do it all.

daboyfrumdabx is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice unit. One step below my 5901. I think the only difference is my pager has a little screen and such and I have a few hundred feet more range(assuming the claims are correct).You should enjoy it. What brand is your current remote start? Is is DEI? If so, plugs may match up and you may just be able to connect the alarm wires and remove your current remote start unit and swap plugs and be down to one unit so you don't have to carry two remotes and ish with you.

*Sundown Z15 *SAX-1200D *CDT HD-61A *SAX-100.4 *Pioneer DEH-80PRS *KnuKonceptz *XS Power D3400 *270A Mechman

Sold to: blackbonnie, TheOneJordan, resko1, kr15, Zichardruniga, IBmikexxx, plugitin
    Bought from: Gruszka530, theMessenjah44, ltr450racer690, Dpc69ss, 97maxima(Here and ROE), Pillow(CACO), pro-rabbit, woofercooker, Twisted_0912

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by x1le View Post
    you can snag a decent alarm only for 30-40 bucks.
    This too.

*Sundown Z15 *SAX-1200D *CDT HD-61A *SAX-100.4 *Pioneer DEH-80PRS *KnuKonceptz *XS Power D3400 *270A Mechman

Sold to: blackbonnie, TheOneJordan, resko1, kr15, Zichardruniga, IBmikexxx, plugitin
    Bought from: Gruszka530, theMessenjah44, ltr450racer690, Dpc69ss, 97maxima(Here and ROE), Pillow(CACO), pro-rabbit, woofercooker, Twisted_0912

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

which alarms can i get for that cheap?

as for my current remote start/keyless entry its code-alarm brand, had it installed 3-4 years ago at a shop

i may eventually wire up the remote start/keyless anyways because like you said i don't wanna lug around 2 remote, but if i DID want to, i could just cut the current wires by the brain and splice them into the new ones, i shouldnt have to rewire too much if anything right?

New build in progress...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

which alarms can i get for that cheap?

as for my current remote start/keyless entry its code-alarm brand, had it installed 3-4 years ago at a shop

i may eventually wire up the remote start/keyless anyways because like you said i don't wanna lug around 2 remote, but if i DID want to, i could just cut the current wires by the brain and splice them into the new ones, i shouldnt have to rewire too much if anything right?
    Don't know about 30-40 bucks, but a decent 2 way Avital 3300 can be found for ~$100 on ebay. Code Alarm has a few security units on ebay for well under $100 also. Personally, I'd get the alarm/rs just so you have the option of eliminating a fob in the future. And correct, you shouldn't have to rewire much if anything at all. just make sure you find a good installation guide of your current unit so you can identify the wires more easily for splicing.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

yeah what i'll prolly do is pick me up that viper 5701v for about 100 bucks

and eventually install the remote start and keyless once i find the time

New build in progress...

mendon99 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

alarm with no bells and whistles, viper 350+. If you want more, I'd go with the 5901 over the 5701... the 5701s remotes' build quality are horrendous, also I've seen more issues with these units vs the 5901.

If you want an absolutely BULLETPROOF alarm though, go a series back or two (viper 5900sst, or 791xv) if you can find them (when you can, they're usually cheaper and totally worth the money).

SOFL: PM me for Auto Alarm/Remote start installs

refs: matmcss, nismos14, 6spdcoupe, kpr10is, Pyro by Nature, IONsql, 93 saturn sl2, sporty_drew, MadTheVillain, R-sosa, BiZkiT8u, Benilson09, bamavoo, XsabesX, ldyzlvudis06

ThomasMaier is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would say tear out what you already have. or else you are going to have your alarm always going off. you will have to unlock with your alarm fob then unlock with your secondary fob as well as when you start the vehicle you will have to unlock with your alarm and then start and you wont be able to rearm your alarm system without the alarm going off its your choice but when i did it i just ripped it all out.

2011 Volkswagen Jetta
    Pioneer deh-800prs
    Focal 165 KRX2
    Focal 165 KR2
    Audison LRX 4.5
    Audison LRX 1.2k
    Boston Acoustics G510-44 x 3 w/ passive rads

Closed Thread