Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

how to install a ps2

i have been considering installing a tv/dvd system in my truck. I have decided to use a ps2 as my dvd player, but when i got to thinking about it, how would i supply power to it?? I can do alot of things as far as car electronics go, so im sure if i know what to do i could do it and shave some $$s off the price, but i have no idea on how to power it?? any help is appreciated. also if anyone has any experience with a ps2 in a car, how does it handle bumps, does it skip alot or is it pretty good?? thanks a ton.

nosaj070 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: how to install a ps2

i've never actually had one permanently installed in a car, but one sitting on the floor for an 8 hour ride and i had no problems with it, you just power it with a power inverter, you can get one about anywhere, radioshcak, bestbuy, etc..

Alpine CDA-7995, A/D/S 3 Series Comps, ED 8A, SoundStream Reference 604, 98 Civic Sedan
    AIM: nosaj070

rambassmachine is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

power inverter ehh? so what would that plug into, lol im new to this aspect of car electronics so please excuse my ignorance. using the ps2 as my dvd player/game system will i have the inputs/outputs to hook it all up to my sound system? also where do yall think i should put the tv(s) in a single cab ram, in the sun visors, one in the steering wheel one on the passenger side dash, or a flip down in the middle?

infrabass is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ya, Im kinda curious how this works too. What kind of power inverter would you need? I suspect the power inverter would attach to cables running from the battery to the PS2s power supply inlet.

As for hooking it up to your car audio system, thats a bit tricky, unless you have the right head unit. What kind of head unit do you have running in there?

The moniters are all by choose and $$ to spend.... I personally like flip downs, and those 7-8" screens that go somewhere kind of out of place like in the glove box, in the trunk, under the hood is kind of weird and sounds dangerous, I'd be worried about burning it from the engine heat.....
    Preference man, preferance.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=22%2D146

This is just an example of one, it is more expensive than most, but has connections to go directly to the battery, on the one i have it just plugs into the cigarettte lighter, but it would not be a problem to just cut the connector off and run it to the battery.

Alpine CDA-7995, A/D/S 3 Series Comps, ED 8A, SoundStream Reference 604, 98 Civic Sedan

infrabass is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

On that one you can plug in other electrical appliances, what if you just wanted a small inverter to invert just enough power for your ps2. No second electrical outlet sorta nonsense, how much power does a ps2 use anyways?

Matador is offline -= StillBumping =-

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i believe they are inverters that u just hook up to the cigarette lighter. if u dont have one, then that would mean splicing wires. but it would just be a constant 12v and a ground, nothing too big.

i believe there's been some threads bout puttin a game sys in the car, search for them, they should be veyr uselful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i'm sure a ps2 wouldn't use very much, and like i said there are much cheaper inverters out there, thats just the first one i found. but its much better to fork over an extra 10 bucks and get one thats plenty big rather than one thats sorta close.
    -Jason

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

rambassmachine

i have a panasonic cd player, i forget the id# on it, it has lots of unused rca type cables....im sure one of them will do the trick. i got into deeper thinking about this and was wondering if anyone out there knows what frequency range the ps2 will cover on dvds, because i have a bass mechanic cd/dvd combo and was wondering if it will possess the same sound quality cds do? thanks a ton.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

rambassmachine

i have a panasonic cd player, i forget the id# on it, it has lots of unused rca type cables....im sure one of them will do the trick. i got into deeper thinking about this and was wondering if anyone out there knows what frequency range the ps2 will cover on dvds, because i have a bass mechanic cd/dvd combo and was wondering if it will possess the same sound quality cds do? thanks a ton.

Silica is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alright well i've had experience with installing a ps2 into a car.. I have one in mine lol and have installed many at work..

Usually most non expensive decks 200-400 canadian. Dont have auxilery inputs so you cant take the audio outputs fromt he playstation and apply them to your stereo without what they call an FM modulator. Fm modulators allow you to take the audio signal from your playstation 2 and play them through the deck via a specified radiostation which is taken control of by the fm mod. Example: 88.7FM

Supposidly there is a way to power your PS2 without a power inverter, After the transforming within the playstation there is a solid 11.8v or something along the lines of that. So if your able to take the ps2 apart and find the 11.8 volt after the transformer. you can prolly tap that with 2 wires and wire it into an ignition lead and a ground on the vehicle.

Tim

Current System:
    -18" MA Audio Hard Kore
    -12 CU.FT @ 24hz
    -2 Planet Audio TT2250D's
    -Planet Audio TT4400
    -Pioneer 8600

LBX2G is offline R.I.P Camofluage

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silica
    Alright well i've had experience with installing a ps2 into a car.. I have one in mine lol and have installed many at work..

Usually most non expensive decks 200-400 canadian. Dont have auxilery inputs so you cant take the audio outputs fromt he playstation and apply them to your stereo without what they call an FM modulator. Fm modulators allow you to take the audio signal from your playstation 2 and play them through the deck via a specified radiostation which is taken control of by the fm mod. Example: 88.7FM

Supposidly there is a way to power your PS2 without a power inverter, After the transforming within the playstation there is a solid 11.8v or something along the lines of that. So if your able to take the ps2 apart and find the 11.8 volt after the transformer. you can prolly tap that with 2 wires and wire it into an ignition lead and a ground on the vehicle.

Tim
    Tim u are right all the gameing systems are DC there is an inveter in there some where. Like on my Game Cube the inverter is on the outside on the power cable. But on a PS2 it is inside and if u take it apart u void the warranty.

And if u want to kno how much power it needs. I think there is a sticker on the back that will tell u or look in the instruction manual.

P.S. Go look at a PS2 forum i bet they can tell u off the bat.

- holla bak

FREE Terrelll"peanut" Grayer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iamamp3pimp is offline Bass Heads Entertainment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

nope, the ps2 has a power supply that converts 120 ac to 12 dc, 5 dc and 3.3 dc, so the str8 wiring would fry it. just get a power inverter, run it to the batt, ground it and mount it under the seat...... ad yes, the bass mech cdvd would sound fne, i think the ps2 does 20-20k

peace

munky223 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

most of my friends have the ps2 mounted under the seat. my seat doesn't have enough space under it to fit a ps2. i dont really wanna have it out in plain sight....any suggestions?

iamamp3pimp is offline Bass Heads Entertainment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

in the trunk, ake it apart and put it everywhere. have the cd drive in the dash, the power plugs under the dash, controller ports in the center console, there are a ton of things you can do with it. you jus have to be daring and play with it

Closed Thread