Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Reload Thread: Quality of Installation on Secuirty Systems

  1. #1
    qkassidyw's Avatar
    qkassidyw is offline MECP Master Certified



    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    443
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Quality of Installation on Secuirty Systems

    I have been installing security systems as long as I have been installing. Alarms/Remote Starts are probably my favorite installation to do because it still gives me a challenge and a chance to be creative over the standard deck and two. I take great pride in these types of installs and it makes me very angry when I see an alarm that is T-Tapped, completely exposed, or just poorly installed.

    The quality of the installation on the alarm system is the key factor in the alarm protecting your vehicle.
    For those that do alarms and need a refresher, or those that are going to be doing them here is a list of the essential things to do when installing an alarm. Also: I do not recommend doing your own alarm install unless you work in a shop or under someone that can properly train you. These are not something you want to mess with on your own as you could seriously harm your vehicles electrical system if installed improperly.

    1. Correctly Prepping the Alarm
    The alarm should be completely prepped before going into the vehicle. This means cutting and taping off all unnecessary connections on the brain. Group wires that will be going to the same location in the vehicle by twisting them together using a drill. Then wrap all grouped wires in good quality electrical tape. Make sure all wires are covered in tape so as not to expose the wire colors. If the thief sees any aftermarket colors he can trace them back to the brain.

    2.Multiple Grounds
    Have as many grounding points as possible. If a thief break in and sees the ground for the alarm and pulls it....the alarm is disabled. Have grounds everywhere...as long as they are hidden. Also, connect the ground to the sirens ground, you can ground that same wire under the hood, connect it to the radio ground, and any piece of metal in the vehicle. This tip is often overlooked but could be the saving grace in the install. Also multiple power wires is useful too, but make sure they are from different sources and not just multiple connections on the same wire.

    3.Backup Battery

    Keeping along with multiple grounds you should ALWAYS have a backup battery and the connections for this should be connected as close to the alarm brain's main harness as possible.

    4.Location of Brain
    If there is ANYTHING that will save your car...it is the location of the alarm brain. DO NOT just ziptie it up under the dash. Make sure the brain is completely hidden and out of the way. I put alarm brains behind glove boxes, behind stereos, under front seats, behind back seats (as long as it is not exposed), under shifter consoles, under center consoles. As long as you have to take a bunch of panels off to get to the brain you should be OK (and the panels just don't snap off).

    5.Solder/Miltary Splice

    Always, always, always solder your connections. By solder and tape I mean poke a hole in the wire, put the wire through wrap the wire, solder the connection makign sure the solder soaks through both wires, tape using high quality electrical tape makign sure to go both directions, and use a zip tie as stress relief at the base of the connection. DO NOT T-tap, your alarm will fail if you do, no quick connects, no but connectors, no crimp caps. The manufacturer would not use these connections so neither will you. Soldering is the best practice.

    6.Wire Management
    By wire management I mean having the alarm prepped properly and making sure once the alarm is installed you see no colors from the wires. Also, when getting your wires make sure they are not in an obvious place. The ignition harness is not the wires you can see going from the shroud into the engine bay. By using the wires you can see easily it makes it easier for the thiefs to find the brain. When getting your power, ignition, and starter wires get them directly off of the key cylinder so it makes it much more difficult to access the wires to bypass the alarm.


    7.Piezo Sirens
    Have sirens on the inside of the vehicle...and a lot of them. Piezo sirens are the really high pitched sirens that are almost unbearable when pointed at your ears. If you have a bunch of these under the dash the thief will have a harder time wanting to stay to steal the vehicle. Also, piezo sirens are easier for people to hear so it will draw more attention. When using more then two sirens, get a relay to power them.

    8. Always Test
    Always test every single wire you are connecting, verify what you are connecting by using a multimeter and NOT a test light. Also, physically test each feature after making the connection. If it is a door trigger, set the alarm and open the door to verify its functionality.


    9. Two Way Paging

    One of the greatest things to come along since sliced bread...two way paging. I highly highly recommend this since we are not always near our cars when they are getting broken into AND random strangers do not pay attention to alarms going off anymore. At the minimum get the 1/8 mile range which is good for when you are sleeping you can have your keys on the bedside table to wake you up. Otherwise for a little more money you can get up to a mile range, which I feel is worth it.

    10.Brand Name Alarm
    This is just as important as the rest of the tips...get a brand name alarm. Its your car, your pride and joy, your baby...spend a little more money and get the right alarm. Stick with Directed (Viper, Python, Clifford). I have seen so many crappy alarms out there its stupid.

    Now I will speak about the LED, Valet, and Antenna. When running these make sure all wiring is hidden, and taped up because the LED should be externally visible and if the thief can see the wires then he will be able to tell where the brain is. The valet should be completely hidden...inside the center console, on the top side of the glove box, do NOT put it in the kick panel! For longest range on the antenna you should run the complete length throughout the install, meaning ziptie it to various portions making sure it runs the entire length.

    Other tips:
    Re pinning factory harnesses (Who doesn't know Honda Ignition Colors?)
    Have two starter kills, one internally and one inside the engine bay
    Have a fuel pump kill (Use fuel pump activation wire)
    Backup battery/Siren Combo (DEI Module)
    Ignition kill (careful with this because if the thief bypasses the starter kill but not ignition kill then he could ruin your starter)
    On remote starts do not use the universal module unless you have to (Leaves Key inside of vehicle)
    Add a switch to your valet button so even if the thief finds the valet, the switch has to be activated to use the valet.
    Sirens in the hatch/trunk (Piezo Prefereably)
    Use 3M electrical tape and good solder


    So, those are my instructions for doing alarms feel free to chime in and I can add to the post.



    07 F150 Extended Cab FX2 Sport
    Kenwood KDC-BT945U - And that's about it...




  2. #2
    krisfnbz's Avatar
    krisfnbz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Frederick MD
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Quality of Installation on Secuirty Systems

    I feel as if I am in the right direction... I have done/have planned most of these steps



    Yes that is a 5 1/4th audiobahn mid speaker in my civic's headrest. circa 2006.

    2000 Celica GTS

    Pioneer FH-X700BT
    Powerbass 2XL-60.3C 3 way
    Dayton Ultimax 15", sealed 4cuft
    Memphis 16-MC5.700 5 channel
    Knu wiring

  3. #3
    RFCV's Avatar
    RFCV is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    563
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Icon12 Re: Quality of Installation on Security Systems

    Good Post


    Quote Originally Posted by qkassidyw View Post
    random strangers do not pay attention to alarms going off anymore.

    Even more reason for multiple extra sirens...both on the exterior & interior.



    Rockford Fosgate Vintage Old School Fanatic: "A Passion For Performance"!
    Cerwin Vega! Turn It Up! Since 1954. "50(more)years of disturbing the peace"!

    Stinger, "Higher Performance Car Audio Accessories"!

    dB Drag Racing/Bass Race/Psychlone

    It is better to be safe than sorry: Invest in a Alarm!

  4. #4
    Innovative:Cory's Avatar
    Innovative:Cory is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Age
    32
    Posts
    603
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Quality of Installation on Secuirty Systems

    Very Very Good Post!!!!

    Preach on Brother!!




  5. #5
    krisfnbz's Avatar
    krisfnbz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Frederick MD
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Quality of Installation on Secuirty Systems

    This post should be a sticky in the security section, this is a very VERY helpful guideline.



    Yes that is a 5 1/4th audiobahn mid speaker in my civic's headrest. circa 2006.

    2000 Celica GTS

    Pioneer FH-X700BT
    Powerbass 2XL-60.3C 3 way
    Dayton Ultimax 15", sealed 4cuft
    Memphis 16-MC5.700 5 channel
    Knu wiring

  6. #6
    IamMurph's Avatar
    IamMurph is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Rowlett
    Posts
    478
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Quality of Installation on Secuirty Systems

    Yeas, very good info.



    Installation Facts
    You are only as good as your worst install.
    Do it right the first time and only do it once.



    Members page Updated 8/1/08. Check out the Lancer.

  7. #7
    Zorasmiles's Avatar
    Zorasmiles is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    ND
    Posts
    266
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Quality of Installation on Secuirty Systems

    Awesome freakin' post!!!!! I'm going to print this out and take it with me to have my alarm/starter put in lol...and I'm going to stay in the bay as they do it to make sure they have me security proof as you have mentioned!!!!! This needs to be a sticky!! THANKS



    References; Fastimes(onstar interface), Absolute Audio(power supplies), Thumpper(awesome sub enclosure), Gladiator_jai(memphis amp)Stopdrpnro(brokenmemphis amp), dtbrown(broken MMats amp)

    Paypal verified and 100% Positive Ebay Feedback

  8. #8
    qkassidyw's Avatar
    qkassidyw is offline MECP Master Certified

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    443
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Quality of Installation on Secuirty Systems

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorasmiles View Post
    Awesome freakin' post!!!!! I'm going to print this out and take it with me to have my alarm/starter put in lol...and I'm going to stay in the bay as they do it to make sure they have me security proof as you have mentioned!!!!! This needs to be a sticky!! THANKS
    Thank you for the complement, but I would go in there with this printed out, talk to the installer that will be doing the install and go over it with him before he does it making sure he will follow most if not all of the guidelines. Ask him where he will put the brain, ask him how the connections will be made (solder!), location of valet (not kick panel), etc.

    I wouldn't sit there and watch him because as long as you guys have the understanding that he will do it then he will do it. Not to be mean but I HATE when the customer sits and stares at me doing the install.

    When the install is done (before signing the paperwork), look under the dash and make sure you can't see the alarm wires/brain/bypass module. If its not done right then go back and make him do it right. I would suggest poking your head in every now and then to make sure it is being done right...just dont sit there the whole time.



    07 F150 Extended Cab FX2 Sport
    Kenwood KDC-BT945U - And that's about it...

  9. #9
    THUNDERBIRD's Avatar
    THUNDERBIRD is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    LANSING, MI
    Posts
    2,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Quality of Installation on Secuirty Systems

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorasmiles View Post
    Awesome freakin' post!!!!! I'm going to print this out and take it with me to have my alarm/starter put in lol...and I'm going to stay in the bay as they do it to make sure they have me security proof as you have mentioned!!!!! This needs to be a sticky!! THANKS
    most shops will not allow you in the bay, for insurance reasons. i kick mother****ers out on a daily basis. let me do my job uninterupted and it will be done faster and cleaner. my bay is in the basement of our shop so i go down to the dungen and shut the door crank the music and crank the alarm out. i normally take 2-3 hours for an alarm, because i take my time hide wires and test test test, test before your sucure the brain, after, before putting panels on and during then before giving it to the customer.



    94' thunderbird *parked*<
    4.6 V8 with a shift kit
    clarion dxz 645mp clarion sirius tuner
    ED 6000v.2- front jbl 5.25 comps- rear
    dynamated and edeaded trunk lid, rear deck, front doors
    Big 3 in green of course
    viper 791xv w/ battery backup
    3 jl 10w0
    2000 ford ranger supercab 3.0v6 4x4
    stock hu
    alpine mrp-m350
    2 9kv.3's
    clifford matrix rsx 50.5x
    spring time getting clarion MAX675VDII and front components possibly jbl's again

  10. #10
    Ided's Avatar
    Ided is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    PHX, AZ
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Quality of Installation on Secuirty Systems

    Thanks for this post. I am beginning to plan out a new system and wanted to ensure that I make security a top priority. This gave me a great guideline to follow so thank you very much!




  11. #11
    DemonaL's Avatar
    DemonaL is offline Da MaStAH



    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    FL
    Age
    26
    Posts
    443
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Quality of Installation on Secuirty Systems

    Whats your take on Compustar alarms, and Autopage?



    2008 Tahoe
    x2 Sundown 3000D's
    x3 IA DP 15"
    Alpine IVA-W505
    EA 300 Amp Alt
    Kinetik 2400
    x4 Powermaster 3100's - coming soon
    REFS: DUMPED, IonSQL, Teecee, LMS, astrolade

  12. #12
    IDSkoT's Avatar
    IDSkoT is offline Resonating Reticular



    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    6,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Quality of Installation on Secuirty Systems

    I'm not so sure I completely agree with you on "get only name brand". While these alarms are better quality, other alarms work just as well unless it's some ridiculous back-alley flea market brand.
    I have an Autopage system and it works perfectly. I installed it myself, took the precautions... and I haven't had it mess up on me once.



    Now designing / building boxes.
    (Only building sealed and aero port boxes.)
    PM me.

    Feedback Thread

    Refs: MSW Danny, atsaubrey (great seller), ampjunkielikeme, wgsj_fortvalley, tEh koRnDog, bad @SS chevy, Nismos14 (who is the man. )



  13. #13
    BoxdGM's Avatar
    BoxdGM is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Quality of Installation on Secuirty Systems

    I dont agree with the name brand part either, my last car i bought a Clifford RSX3.5 and had CC install it (they did an awful job too), the alarm quit working in less that a year (Remote wouldnt respond just beep)

    My current car has the same alarm (different physical alarm, but same model #) and this one quit working right before i got the car.



    Sold To: Grinder1989, fasfocus00, JbIrD, Audiofreak, 99GrandprixGT, Curse-T, Fraze
    Bought From: Eclipticvisions, groundpound4200, Orangelss
    Feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429026&highlight=boxdgm
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431603&highlight=boxdgm
    If we have done business please post in my feedback.

  14. #14
    qkassidyw's Avatar
    qkassidyw is offline MECP Master Certified

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    443
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Quality of Installation on Secuirty Systems

    I understand what you guys are saying about the brand name. Compustar and Autopage are decent brands as well. But the technical support, owners/installation manuals, etc is better with Directed in my opinion. As far as your alarms going out, the other benefit with going with Directed is that they have a full lifetime warranty on their alarms, and a year on the remotes.



    07 F150 Extended Cab FX2 Sport
    Kenwood KDC-BT945U - And that's about it...

  15. #15
    defdaboss's Avatar
    defdaboss is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DADE
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Quality of Installation on Secuirty Systems

    Quote Originally Posted by qkassidyw View Post
    I have been installing security systems as long as I have been installing. Alarms/Remote Starts are probably my favorite installation to do because it still gives me a challenge and a chance to be creative over the standard deck and two. I take great pride in these types of installs and it makes me very angry when I see an alarm that is T-Tapped, completely exposed, or just poorly installed.

    The quality of the installation on the alarm system is the key factor in the alarm protecting your vehicle.
    For those that do alarms and need a refresher, or those that are going to be doing them here is a list of the essential things to do when installing an alarm. Also: I do not recommend doing your own alarm install unless you work in a shop or under someone that can properly train you. These are not something you want to mess with on your own as you could seriously harm your vehicles electrical system if installed improperly.

    1. Correctly Prepping the Alarm
    The alarm should be completely prepped before going into the vehicle. This means cutting and taping off all unnecessary connections on the brain. Group wires that will be going to the same location in the vehicle by twisting them together using a drill. Then wrap all grouped wires in good quality electrical tape. Make sure all wires are covered in tape so as not to expose the wire colors. If the thief sees any aftermarket colors he can trace them back to the brain.

    2.Multiple Grounds
    Have as many grounding points as possible. If a thief break in and sees the ground for the alarm and pulls it....the alarm is disabled. Have grounds everywhere...as long as they are hidden. Also, connect the ground to the sirens ground, you can ground that same wire under the hood, connect it to the radio ground, and any piece of metal in the vehicle. This tip is often overlooked but could be the saving grace in the install. Also multiple power wires is useful too, but make sure they are from different sources and not just multiple connections on the same wire.

    3.Backup Battery

    Keeping along with multiple grounds you should ALWAYS have a backup battery and the connections for this should be connected as close to the alarm brain's main harness as possible.

    4.Location of Brain
    If there is ANYTHING that will save your car...it is the location of the alarm brain. DO NOT just ziptie it up under the dash. Make sure the brain is completely hidden and out of the way. I put alarm brains behind glove boxes, behind stereos, under front seats, behind back seats (as long as it is not exposed), under shifter consoles, under center consoles. As long as you have to take a bunch of panels off to get to the brain you should be OK (and the panels just don't snap off).

    5.Solder/Miltary Splice

    Always, always, always solder your connections. By solder and tape I mean poke a hole in the wire, put the wire through wrap the wire, solder the connection makign sure the solder soaks through both wires, tape using high quality electrical tape makign sure to go both directions, and use a zip tie as stress relief at the base of the connection. DO NOT T-tap, your alarm will fail if you do, no quick connects, no but connectors, no crimp caps. The manufacturer would not use these connections so neither will you. Soldering is the best practice.

    6.Wire Management
    By wire management I mean having the alarm prepped properly and making sure once the alarm is installed you see no colors from the wires. Also, when getting your wires make sure they are not in an obvious place. The ignition harness is not the wires you can see going from the shroud into the engine bay. By using the wires you can see easily it makes it easier for the thiefs to find the brain. When getting your power, ignition, and starter wires get them directly off of the key cylinder so it makes it much more difficult to access the wires to bypass the alarm.


    7.Piezo Sirens
    Have sirens on the inside of the vehicle...and a lot of them. Piezo sirens are the really high pitched sirens that are almost unbearable when pointed at your ears. If you have a bunch of these under the dash the thief will have a harder time wanting to stay to steal the vehicle. Also, piezo sirens are easier for people to hear so it will draw more attention. When using more then two sirens, get a relay to power them.

    8. Always Test
    Always test every single wire you are connecting, verify what you are connecting by using a multimeter and NOT a test light. Also, physically test each feature after making the connection. If it is a door trigger, set the alarm and open the door to verify its functionality.


    9. Two Way Paging

    One of the greatest things to come along since sliced bread...two way paging. I highly highly recommend this since we are not always near our cars when they are getting broken into AND random strangers do not pay attention to alarms going off anymore. At the minimum get the 1/8 mile range which is good for when you are sleeping you can have your keys on the bedside table to wake you up. Otherwise for a little more money you can get up to a mile range, which I feel is worth it.

    10.Brand Name Alarm
    This is just as important as the rest of the tips...get a brand name alarm. Its your car, your pride and joy, your baby...spend a little more money and get the right alarm. Stick with Directed (Viper, Python, Clifford). I have seen so many crappy alarms out there its stupid.

    Now I will speak about the LED, Valet, and Antenna. When running these make sure all wiring is hidden, and taped up because the LED should be externally visible and if the thief can see the wires then he will be able to tell where the brain is. The valet should be completely hidden...inside the center console, on the top side of the glove box, do NOT put it in the kick panel! For longest range on the antenna you should run the complete length throughout the install, meaning ziptie it to various portions making sure it runs the entire length.

    Other tips:
    Re pinning factory harnesses (Who doesn't know Honda Ignition Colors?)
    Have two starter kills, one internally and one inside the engine bay
    Have a fuel pump kill (Use fuel pump activation wire)
    Backup battery/Siren Combo (DEI Module)
    Ignition kill (careful with this because if the thief bypasses the starter kill but not ignition kill then he could ruin your starter)
    On remote starts do not use the universal module unless you have to (Leaves Key inside of vehicle)
    Add a switch to your valet button so even if the thief finds the valet, the switch has to be activated to use the valet.
    Sirens in the hatch/trunk (Piezo Prefereably)
    Use 3M electrical tape and good solder


    So, those are my instructions for doing alarms feel free to chime in and I can add to the post.


    i read 2 paragraph and i already know i dont gotta read anymore. A PLUS! you can install my alarm. that's how it's done



    BOSS

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum