Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Car alarm install

jayrebb is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Car alarm install

ok, i want to put an alarm/keyless entry in my car, nothin fancy mostly want the keyless but figured i might as well do a basic alarm also, i own an `85 nissan maxima and im wondering what kind of problems i should expect on the install, im not an expert but i know electronics, just hoping i could get some advice before i buy one so i can get it in as quikly and smothly as possible, i really apreciate any and all help, thanks guys/girls. oh yeah, i already know im gonna need relays and that some alarms dont come with them.

jayrebb is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    oh yeah, these are the alarms im looking at if it helps.

Autopage CPX-2600 2- CHANNEL ALARM,
    CS2000 Crimestopper Keyless Entry Alarm

eengrms is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The hardest thing for newbie's with installation is getting the door locks to work correctly. I'm not sure what type your car has, you should be able to find out easily, but that makes all the difference. I put a system in a 2000 Dodge Caravan once that has a one-wire lock/unlock system where you have to put in resistors to get it to lock and unlock correctly. It was pretty easy once you figured it out, but for a newbie that would have been impossible. I'm not a professional like some people on here, so they may have some advice. I have a 9-5 desk job making a buttload of cash, so my time is not spent under the hood. I do this stuff for fun. My advice is to really read the instructions well. Even now when I do one, unless the system is exactly the same as one I'd used before, I read through everything and make sure I have all the parts and supplies I need, and some extra. The worst feeling is getting in the middle of an install at 10 o'clock at night and finding out you bought a dead relay and all the stores are closed. Just follow the Boy Scouts and "Be Prepared". Good luck!!

Oh and I would go with the Crimestopper system. I have an Autopage system on my wife's van and a Crimestopper System on my Audi. I think the Crimestopper was by far more straightforward and "easy" to install, as are all crimestopper systems. I do have to say I think AutoPage is a little better quality, but not that much better to warrant a higher pricetag.

Closed Thread