Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

door lock/unlock switch

I have aftermarket actuators on my '95 Isuzu Rodeo, and they are controlled through my alarm (arm/disarm/ignition). I want to add a seperate switch to lock/unlock all the doors.

Do I run the switch to another relay then directly to the actuators???

Pioneer DEH-P8400MP head unit,
    2 sets of Clarion 5-1/4" components SRS1353,
    3 - 12" Fosgate HX2 Subs,
    1 - Fosgate 1001 BD Power amp,
    1 - Fosgate Punch 501x 4 channel amp
    3 - Voodoo digital capacitors

eengrms is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It depends on what type of door lock system you have. Who put in the actuators? You might want to ask them if they require a negative or positive pulse. Most aftermarket actuators require a positive pulse, but some models do work off of a negative pulse for compatibility. If they work off a positive pulse then grab a hot wire off the fuse block- run it to one side of the switch and then hook the other side straight to the actuators. It should work fine. As long as you fuse the power to the switch you really shouldn't need a relay, but it wouldn't hurt. Just one more thing to wire in. If you don't want to go all the wayinto your door, just connect up to the wire off of your alarm that goes into the door.

Isuzu95 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Actually, my alarm requires a negative pulse. So would the setup be the same as you described? And, the alarm is currently connected to two relays for the lock/unlock actuators, so should I connect another for the switch? Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well... You probably have one relay for lock and one relay for unlock. The switch you put in should have three wires, an input wire for either a negative or positive source, and then an unlock and lock wire. All you need to do is feed the switch with the correct polarity, which you indicated is negative- so just ground out that wire, and then hit the two relay inputs with their respective wire. You mentioned that your alarm requires a negative pulse, hopefully you meant the alarm supplies a negative pulse to the relays, as your alarm can only supply signals for this application. If this actually is the way your stuff is hooked up you really shouldn't need any additional relays or components. I've never added switches to aftermarket actuators before, I always just installed the switches at the same time so I knew the exact system I had. Make sure you are right about what you need so you don't actually tie in a negative pulse to a positive input and short out your alarm. Patience and a voltage detector may be required. Good luck and let us know how it works!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Firstly, I really appreciate the feedback. Secondly, I got my wording twisted when I said my alarm requires a negative pulse, sorry. I meant it supplies a negative pulse and this is for sure.
    So just to clarify it then, I'll get a 3-wire switch, connect the input wire from it to the negative output on the alarm, then the other two wires directly to the relay; one to the lock relay, other to the unlock....Does that sound just about right??
    Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No no no. Do not connect the input wire of the switch to the output of the alarm. You need to connect that to a ground in your car.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh okay, so the switch has nothing to do with the alarm then right?.. that makes sense.. Thanks again for the help.

another question:
    i have a negative output on my alarm for the dome light and its not connected. i want my alarm to turn it on the when the alarm is disabled, which my alarm is set up to do, so how would i connect it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For that you would need a relay. There are quite a few resources available online that can show you how to wire a dome light relay, go to google and do a search. The jist is- you bring 12V constant power in to the relay to power it up. You then connect the signal input of the relay to your alarm, and the source input (the signal that is to be passed through) to a good ground on the vehicle. The output of the relay should go to your dome light circuit wire in the car (Red/Grn wire behind your driver front speaker- according to one of my sources). The easiest place to find this wire is of course right at your domelight, or under your dash if you have a light there, or behind the speaker as listed if all else fails. Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was able to find this site but still have one question about the dome light connection.

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page4.asp#ien

I also found the dome light wire then ran from behind the dash directly to the dome light. But do I use the 12V wire or the ground wire of the dome light, to connect to the relay???

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Isuzu95
    I was able to find this site but still have one question about the dome light connection.

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page4.asp#ien

I also found the dome light wire then ran from behind the dash directly to the dome light. But do I use the 12V wire or the ground wire of the dome light, to connect to the relay???

FURTHER to my last post I did more research, and I found that I should connect the relay directly the one of the door trigger, which i am quite sure is negative (a metal latch on the switch hits the a ground point when the door is opened).

So then, I could connect the relay directly to the wire running to one of the switches right??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a little confused... What switch? We're still talking about the dome light right?

To answer your question above... your dome light's positive wire is hot all the time, only when your door is opened does the negative wire get grounded out (or when you turn on the dome light switch). So you would want to connect the relay to the negative wire of the dome light so that when the alarm sends it's negative signal the relay will trip and send a negative signal to the dome light turning it on. Hence a negative trigger type system. You get it?

What switch were you talking about above?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, I typed it in a hurry and realized that what I wrote was quite unclear.

By the term 'switch', I meant the door trigger. But what you're saying completely makes sense, so i'll do it that way.

I really appreciate your patience... actually, I just started learning this stuff, a lot of it on my own, so i'm not familiar with a lot of terms.

Thanks again.

Closed Thread

User Tag List