Closed Thread

Reload Thread: $500 for alarm!?!?!?

Matador is offline -= StillBumping =-

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

$500 for alarm!?!?!?

i went to an alarm place n they told me $500 installed for a clifford 2 way pager alarm (they sell for $200 at ebay) i was like **** dude, it's like a $250 for installation.

so now i am gonna do it myself, but i heard it's hard tho. i don't need the remote start, i only need unlock/lock, trunk release, starter disarm, n some other goodies, hopefully w a 2 way responder/pager.

Level of difficulty from 1 to 10 (10 being hardest), how hard do u guys think it is? (car already comes w unlock/lock, trunk release)

CarAudioAddict is offline What did I do now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If your car already has lock/unlock I'd rate it about 6.5

The hardest part (especially on new vehicles) is making sure that everything gets powered. My car needed an extra 3 relays on top of the alarm, to power everything that needed it (ecm, ignition system, cooling fan) no big deal, but would have been easier without it - too many wires and no specific color code.

Vehicles:

1986 Chevy S-10 http://s10.trainzhaven.com
    2002 Pontiac Sunfire Website not created yet.

Isuzu95 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: $500 for alarm!?!?!?

I'm not an expert but I feel the hardest part is knowing the wires of the car that you need to use. I played around a lot with my alarm so now I have a better understanding of how it works. I have a 2way pager alarm and there's so many features you can use so I know what you mean, but overall not that difficult. Rating: 5

Pioneer DEH-P8400MP head unit,
    2 sets of Clarion 5-1/4" components SRS1353,
    3 - 12" Fosgate HX2 Subs,
    1 - Fosgate 1001 BD Power amp,
    1 - Fosgate Punch 501x 4 channel amp
    3 - Voodoo digital capacitors

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    so u guys suggest i get 2-3 more relays? what kind.

n then, i was thinking of putting a small extra backup battery, u know so that if they disconnect the battery the alarm would keep going off n the guys would have no clue, nice huh? how would i do this anynoe?

eengrms is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not sure about the battery issue, seems more trouble than it is worth. If they can disconnect your battery they can disconnect the siren and lights just as easily.

As for the alarm issue- hooking up the remote start feature is by far the easiest part. I would rate that a 5/10, but only if you have an accurate color code system for your vehicle. There really are only 6 or 7 extra wires that need to be hooked up more than just the alarm (ACC,12V,IGN,Starter,GND,Brake,Tach), and all at the same place. Whenever I do a starter install I can go from scratch to being able to start the car with the remote in about 5 minutes, the rest of the time is farting around with the piddly stuff. You will probably need a relay for your domelight, possibly two for your door locks, and maybe even one for your trunk (probably not though). Depending on the system, you may need an additional one for the starter disarm. One thing you need to be aware of is if you need to get any bypass modules, that may be one reason for such a high cost from the shop. They may know something more about your car then you do. What make/model/year is your vehicle? Overall I would give the system you are going for a 6/10 (8/10 if you need a bypass module of some sort).

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

eengrms is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Matador
    yeah iwas wondering bout the bypass n stuff, i "think' i have a factory alarm, or at least that's whats supposed to be called.
    Well bypasses are used for more than just alarms. You may have a "smart" chip key sytem that requires one. Honestly, of all the cars I've ever worked with, I've never worked on a Honda Accord. So I don't know what they have. Hopefully someone will be able to help you here. If not go back to the place that gave you the estimate and ask them what all is involved, I'm sure they would tell you if you needed one.

*edit* Oh and it might be worth mentioning that you'd only need the "key" bypass modules if you plan on putting in the remote start portion. The alarm bypasses would be needed only if you want to deactivate the factory alarm. You don't necessarily need anything if you just want to add a new keyless-entry alarm system. You can leave the old alarm in place as long as it's not an active auto-type system where it arms automatically. Basically if you have a keychain for control you won't need anything. It really is a car-by-car decision.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Closed Thread