Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Adding Remote Start but Retaining Factory Keyless / Alarm?

BMRisko is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Adding Remote Start but Retaining Factory Keyless / Alarm?

Well, I came across a Directed remote start that was $60, but on clearance for $15. It basically comes w/ everything to DIY and 1 remote. I currently have a 2004 Tahoe w/ factory alarm and remote unlock. Is it possible to add the remote start, but retain the factory alarm / unlock? I don't care if I have to have 2 remotes, since I will probably only use the remote start in the winter.

mokedaddy is offline professional idiot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Adding Remote Start but Retaining Factory Keyless / Alarm?

Yes its possible. You can either use both remotes or you should be able to add keyless to the remote start remote but if I recall it really ***** to install keyless in the newer tahoes.

'a man without enemies, is a man without character'

Worlddre is offline Big Darkie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you want you can add i t on to the factory keyless

"humility in the face of overwhelming genius will obviously amount to hypocrisy"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is true too but range will really suffer if using the factory remotes so I usually dont recommend it if they are willing to carry two remotes.

Worlddre is offline Big Darkie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

range would be no different from factory

"humility in the face of overwhelming genius will obviously amount to hypocrisy"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Factory range isnt very good, that was my point. You get much better range from an aftermarket remote, even if its an older model.

KaeZoo is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does the remote start come with any lock/unlock outputs at all?

You'll need to bypass a factory anti-theft system in any case. If you get a combo lock/bypass module (like a Directed 457G) it only takes seconds to hook up the lock outputs; then it will do keyless entry (including arming and disarming the factory alarm) as well as remote start. A combo module will simplify the installation even if you don't care about adding keyless, since otherwise you'll need to run a wire into the door to disarm the factory alarm for remote start.

Otherwise, I think the answer you're looking for is that your factory keyless entry system will not be affected in any way by the remote start installation.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KaeZoo View Post
    Does the remote start come with any lock/unlock outputs at all?

You'll need to bypass a factory anti-theft system in any case. If you get a combo lock/bypass module (like a Directed 457G) it only takes seconds to hook up the lock outputs; then it will do keyless entry (including arming and disarming the factory alarm) as well as remote start. A combo module will simplify the installation even if you don't care about adding keyless, since otherwise you'll need to run a wire into the door to disarm the factory alarm for remote start.

Otherwise, I think the answer you're looking for is that your factory keyless entry system will not be affected in any way by the remote start installation.
    They have the keyless / remote start version for $20 (down from $80). I know this isn't high-end Directed (Ready Remote), but I would only use it in the winter (to start my car in the mornings from inside) and the rest of the time I would convert back to no remote start and just normal OEM functions. I have already picked up a 457G for $40. As far as my factory range goes, I can use the stock remote to lock/unlock my doors from inside, so thats all the range I care to have. Anyways, I just saw this for $15 and figured it might be worth a shot to make winter a bit more bearable. I'm not really interested in adding a really good alarm at this point...maybe later on down the road.

How much harder is it adding the remote start to my factory remote? Or should I just carry the 2nd remote during winter for simplicity's sake? Thanks for the help thus far...you guys have been more helpful than some other forums who basically kept harping on the fact that my factory "alarm" is not a real alarm, which I already knew.

One more thing, I have never installed a remote start, but I have lots of experience w/ EE classes and basic wiring and multimeter use. The unit also comes w/ a DVD, so that should help out a bit. Anymore tips or things to watch out for would be greatly appreciated.

-Brandon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Using the factory remote to activate the remote start usually involves connecting the activation wire to the door lock motor wires, so that you'd (for example) activate the remote start by pressing the lock button three times. In your vehicle, this again involves running wires into the door, so it's probably more trouble than it's worth; particularly since the remote starter's remote probably has much more range than the factory remote. (Keyless entry systems are generally designed to be used when the owner is approaching the car, so extended range isn't required).

It's an easy vehicle to work on when using the 457G. Follow the directions and you shouldn't have much trouble. Just be sure to leave yourself plenty of time.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alright, I just want to set things straight before I begin. I bought the remote start unit for $15 and the remote start / keyless for $20, so I can choose to use either one. I assume since I have factory keyless , I should just use the $15 remote start unit. Also, I will be using the 457GW and I assume retaining all functions on the factory remote and strictly using the aftermarket remote to control the remote start. If the $20 remote start / keyless unit is not beneficial to me, then I can easily return it. Hopefully I am thinking in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My opinion: go ahead and hook up the $20 unit, since it will literally only take a few minutes longer, and then you'll be able to carry one remote that does everything. Why carry two remotes around when you don't have to?

By the way, when connecting the 457G, you can ignore the gray/black option 1/2 wire and the green door trigger output wire. They're not needed for your application.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My opinion: go ahead and hook up the $20 unit, since it will literally only take a few minutes longer, and then you'll be able to carry one remote that does everything. Why carry two remotes around when you don't have to?

By the way, when connecting the 457G, you can ignore the gray/black option 1/2 wire and the green door trigger output wire. They're not needed for your application.
    So, when I go to install the $20 unit and 457g, it will be pretty self explanatory whats needed to be wired up? Will I lose the horn honk and lights when I unlock / lock if I install the keyless unit? For some reason I was under the impression that installing an aftermarket keyless on top of the factory keyless will screw some of these features up. Anyways, sorry for all the newbie questions, but I want to take my time and do this right the first time w/o hacking stuff together. Also, I really appreciate the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The new remote will not work exactly the same as the factory ones, but it will do everything that you need it to do. You just have to connect the lock, unlock and status outputs from the remote start unit to the 457G. Follow the directions that came with the 457G unit.

The 457G doesn't flash the parking lights, but the remote start will have its own parking light output and will flash on lock and unlock. Your remote start may or may not have an output to trigger the horn. IIRC the 457G will chirp the horn when the factory alarm arms. The 457G does not do driver's door priority unlock; when you unlock using the new remote it will unlock all the doors at once on the first push.

Whichever remote start system you choose to install, the factory remotes and factory keyless entry system will not be affected. They will continue to work as they always have. When you install a new keyless entry system into a vehicle with factory keyless entry, the two systems don't fight each other; they'll each work independently in their own way. Given that, there's no downside to installing the remote start system that includes keyless entry. If you prefer the way the factory key fobs work, you can just continue using them, but if you want to carry only one remote the new one will do everything you need.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The new remote will not work exactly the same as the factory ones, but it will do everything that you need it to do. You just have to connect the lock, unlock and status outputs from the remote start unit to the 457G. Follow the directions that came with the 457G unit.

The 457G doesn't flash the parking lights, but the remote start will have its own parking light output and will flash on lock and unlock. Your remote start may or may not have an output to trigger the horn. IIRC the 457G will chirp the horn when the factory alarm arms. The 457G does not do driver's door priority unlock; when you unlock using the new remote it will unlock all the doors at once on the first push.

Whichever remote start system you choose to install, the factory remotes and factory keyless entry system will not be affected. They will continue to work as they always have. When you install a new keyless entry system into a vehicle with factory keyless entry, the two systems don't fight each other; they'll each work independently in their own way. Given that, there's no downside to installing the remote start system that includes keyless entry. If you prefer the way the factory key fobs work, you can just continue using them, but if you want to carry only one remote the new one will do everything you need.
    Alright, I think that cleared up all my questions. Thanks for the info! I will post back if I run into any issues during the install.

Closed Thread