Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Viper 791xv problem

jdowney is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Viper 791xv problem

I went on vacation and left my car with my parents. Turns out they had some fun with my remote start and now whenever i use the remote start i have to use it again to turn the car off. After turning it on i can get in the car and put the key to start/acc and hit the brake and nothing really happens, the lights continue to flash and i can drive the car. I have to manually tap the red button twice to turn my car off. any ideas on what the problem might be and how to fix it? thanks in advance.

KaeZoo is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Viper 791xv problem

If the remote start was installed professionally, take it back to the shop to check out.

It sounds as it the remote start isn't getting voltage from the brake switch. There are a few things that could cause this.

The remote start's brake input wire may have been disconnected from your vehicle brake switch wire. Or you may have a blown fuse or a brake switch problem, in which case your brake lights may not be working at all. Or the remote start may be defective.

In any case, it's definitely not a programming problem. Something's wrong with the remote start or the wiring. If your vehicle brake lights aren't working properly, don't automatically blame the remote start. That's more commonly caused by trailer wiring problems.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

all the lights are working fine, i was hoping maybe they had hit the wrong buttons or something. The store that installed it is kind of far away now that i have moved, but maybe ill call them and see if they will take a look at it or know of a diy solution. thanks.

Vestax is offline Blends No. 27

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
    all the lights are working fine, i was hoping maybe they had hit the wrong buttons or something. The store that installed it is kind of far away now that i have moved, but maybe ill call them and see if they will take a look at it or know of a diy solution. thanks.
    The other way to turn off the RS is by opening the hood as well as pressing the gas if the tach was wired properly. That way you know that the issue lies with the brake.

USUC World Champion - Stock System Class, Super Street Division Special Edition Bose 26 piece speaker system with enhanced ported tweeters. 89.2 db Legal, 89.6 db Outlaw
    Antonio Corleone, Uptown Golden Ear Mafia

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i can open the hood and press the gas without it shutting off. yeah im gonna have to call the people that installed it, too bad i moved its like an hour drive, or just use the remote to start and stop it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alot of places don't put in hoodpins, why i don't know... but take it back and have them check the brake wire for sure.

I'm lazy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you have a DMM, you can really troubleshoot this yourself.

USUC World Champion - Stock System Class, Super Street Division Special Edition Bose 26 piece speaker system with enhanced ported tweeters. 89.2 db Legal, 89.6 db Outlaw

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vestax View Post
    If you have a DMM, you can really troubleshoot this yourself.
    He shouldn't have to if he paid someone to put it in.

I'm lazy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shyne151 View Post
    He shouldn't have to if he paid someone to put it in.
    I dont' know if you took it personal but that post wasn't aimed at you.

Yes obviously he paid someone to do it, but there's two sides to this... living an hour away to have them fix something that might be simple could save him some time. The other, well it all depends on his skills, he can damage it further. There are quite of few qualified guys here that can guide him through process. I'd be more than happy to help him regardless.... just like any other posts here that ask for help on shop installs on amps, speakers or what not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vestax View Post
    I dont' know if you took it personal but that post wasn't aimed at you.

Yes obviously he paid someone to do it, but there's two sides to this... living an hour away to have them fix something that might be simple could save him some time. The other, well it all depends on his skills, he can damage it further. There are quite of few qualified guys here that can guide him through process. I'd be more than happy to help him regardless.... just like any other posts here that ask for help on shop installs on amps, speakers or what not.
    I didn't take it personal... as an installer i try to do my best so a customer doesn't have to fix it. That's the only reason I say it. I guess i just stand behind my work, and am happier when a customer brings it in instead of fixing it themself.

I'm lazy...

KaeZoo is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My opinion: if there's no overrev protection and no hood switch cutoff, I don't think I'd trust the original installers anyway. Those are symptoms of a lazy or rushed installer, expecially if there's also no kill switch for the remote start.

To the original poster: do you know if there's a toggle switch installed that will disable the remote start feature? If not, you may be at risk for a lawsuit if you have your vehicle serviced and the remote start activates while it's being worked on. That's not uncommon for Directed systems when the battery is disconnected and reconnected.

If you don't want to work on it yourself, consider finding a local reputable shop and pay them to check it out. There's usually no shortage of Directed alarm dealers anywhere.

Closed Thread