Closed Thread

Reload Thread: ??? about radar detectors

Vega is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

??? about radar detectors

Do radar detectors "detect" police cars that are moving? For example if a police car and I were moving towards each other would the radar detector go off? Or does it only work on police cars that are sitting with a radar gun? I won't be using the detector because of speeding but for audio. Sometimes I don't see the police coming towards me until they are right infront of me so I want to be able to hit my turn off switch in advance.

Kagymp5 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: ??? about radar detectors

Quote Originally Posted by Vega
    Do radar detectors "detect" police cars that are moving? For example if a police car and I were moving towards each other would the radar detector go off? Or does it only work on police cars that are sitting with a radar gun? I won't be using the detector because of speeding but for audio. Sometimes I don't see the police coming towards me until they are right infront of me so I want to be able to hit my turn off switch in advance.
    radar dectectors only will detect radar waves from police with radar guns on
    of the gun isnt on the radar detector wont do any help

John3000 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Radar/Laser detectors are wastes of money, if you get pulled over for bumping, hey ***** happens. Just be respectful to the cop that pulls you over (yes sir/no sir) and you should be ok. Just my .02

Refs: 99StangGt, Fandl, IonSQL, dbman150, pdtran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John3000
    Radar/Laser detectors are wastes of money, if you get pulled over for bumping, hey ***** happens. Just be respectful to the cop that pulls you over (yes sir/no sir) and you should be ok. Just my .02

Or don't be a tard and bump responsibly.

I'm lazy...

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Radar detectors don't detect "police cars", they detect radar waves. Whether the vehicle containing the active radar gun is moving or not doesn't matter. But if the police car doesn't have it's radar gun turned on, the radar detector won't detect it.

The best defense against noise violation tickets? KEEP THE STEREO DOWN IN RESIDENTIAL AREAS.

dak0ta_g33k is offline whatR words4 ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

radar detectors just find radar waves... some can also locate laser emissions as well. but only if the cop car is broadcasting. was just on the highway today and most hiway troopers do NOT leave their radars on full time. and at one point for about 10 miles i must have been following a car with a radar jammer because my detector was under constant alert... fyi, boom on the highway... only you can enjoy it then.

\o0o_allan_o0o/
    2003 Dodge Club Cab
    Adire Koda 10s : MXA 8001
    Kicker SSMB6 : ID CD1e : ID NX30 : RE XXX 6.5 : MXA 6004
    Alpine iDA-x100 : 80gb iPod Classic

Lurius is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sometimes cops will leave them on, out of accident or on purpose I dotn know, but a few local cops seem to leave theirs on. Beeping gets more rapid as I get closer, etc.

Honestly, I have never found a radar detector to be of much use in the city, only on highway, and even then only when properly mounted.

-Lurius

Vehicle: 2004 Silverado ECSB 5.3L
    Dyno: HP Max = 264.89, Torque Max = 305.25(New #s soon, as well as track times!)

Headunit:Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X789
    Front Speakers:Infinity Reference 6010cs
    Subwoofers:two Orion 2NT 10"s enclosed within sealed Probox
    Subwoofer Amp:Alpine MRV-T757 RIP =(
    Speaker Amp:Eclipse 4212

More photos here
    Refs: trevor87, bumpin_blazer, jonny101abc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lurius
    Sometimes cops will leave them on, out of accident or on purpose I dotn know, but a few local cops seem to leave theirs on. Beeping gets more rapid as I get closer, etc.

Honestly, I have never found a radar detector to be of much use in the city, only on highway, and even then only when properly mounted.

-Lurius
    ya i agree cause then it detects bands emited by supermarket automatic doors, and intersection cameras etc

The Purely honest are always *** holes in the eyes of the deceitful.

Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John3000

Tell that to the *who knows how many tickets that potentially could have cost me who knows how much $$* that mine has helped me avoid!

Radar detectors detect radar (hence the name of the device to begin with) not simply police cars in general. Not every police unit is equipped with speed detection equipment (at least in my area) and those that are do not have the gun on all the time. All a radar detector will do for you is detect active RF transmissions in the bands that it is designed to pick up.

Like posted by so many already - the best defense against a noise polution citation is to bump responsibly. Period.

Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]

Closed Thread