i had posted a while back when i first installed a carputer, but the picture links are broken since switching servers. so i decided to start a new thread.
not much has changed with the actual carputer system, but i did just redo the entire car stereo system. so i relocated the monitor to the top map compartment. i'm pretty happy with it all and the sound is spectacular now.
here are the specs:
2003 Mazda 6s
- Compaq Presario 2710US Notebook
- 1.13 GHz Intel Pentium III
- 512 MB SDRAM
- 20 GB Hard Drive
- Evo Notebook N180 QuickDock Port Replicator
- Lilliput 7" Touchscreen Monitor
- Delorme Earthmate + Street Atlas 2004
- Power Acoustik PADVD-340 DVD/VCD/MP3/CD/CD-R/RW Player
- ATI Remote Wonder
- Philips ACC10082 Compact Mini Wireless Keyboard
- Creative Sound Blaster MP3+ USB
- Headunit: Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X789
- Front: Alpine Type-S 6.5" Components
- Rear: Alpine Type-S 5"x7" Coaxials
- Sub: Kicker CVR122 (12", 2-ohm DVC)
- Amps: MTX Thunder564 (cabin), MTX MXA4002 (sub)
the new headunit: mazda 6 owners have been waiting a LONG time for a dash kit that will allow you to install aftermarket stereos. it took metra a good 3 years to develop and produce this thing. the problem was that the climate controls and top LCD operation were integrated into the stock stereo circuitry. metra had to construct their own circuit boards to maintain functionality. it was worth the wait, though.
amps: the one on the left is for the sub. the one on the right powers the cabin speakers.
trunk: you can see the laptop sitting on its docking station. the VGA and PS/2 extension cables were so long, i couldn't figure out a place to hide them.
monitor: in this picture, you can see where the monitor used to be....
....and this is where it is now:
a few more interior shots: