Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Reload Thread: ALARM SUCCESS STORY AND OTHER THEFT PREVENTION TIPS from a Alarm Tech. MUST READ!

RFCV is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon33 ALARM SUCCESS STORY AND OTHER THEFT PREVENTION TIPS from a Alarm Tech. MUST READ!

I wanted to tell my story to verify the effectivness (if done right) of alarm systems and to educate others on how to better protect their custom rides from either the whole car or the contents being stolen. Here is my story:

Feb.25th,1994 2:30am. Rainy (watch out when rainy, they LOVE it)! Muffles noise, but NOT sirens!
    They just got done jacking my brothers gear with MUCH damage done. Guess what? He DID NOT have a alarm! He sure does now! They then turned to my car. BAD, BAD choice, as they did find out the hard way! As a alarm installer, I had it rigged up!
    2 30 watt home security sirens outside and 1 130dB multi-tone car alarm siren inside (pain generator). I have a interior piezo siren also added now.
    To say the least, the bastards most likely ran like fire was up their a**
    My pager went off also, but they were longgg gone!!! I have Viper perimeter voice, but did not have it on at that time. If I did there might have been no damage to my ride. They broke my drivers side window, but the tint held it all together. They did not stay around to fold the window down into the car with the tint. It came off the track perfectly half way, just like I had rolled it down. Just one little tiny piece of glass fell inside. No water damage, because it had just finished raining. I will tell you all from personal experience that there are FEW things in life better (for a car audio enthusiast) than finding YOUR gear still intact and YOURS after a attempted burglary all for about $200 spent VERY wisely (compared to the $ spent for your audio gear)! I just wish the scum had tried to hit my ride first, then ALL would have been saved, except for my broken window.
    I have been enjoying my same audio system for over 10 years now, all thanks to a 'custom' alarm system!

The bottom line is this: Do yourself, your ride and your audio system a BIG favor and invest in a good alarm system and make it as LOUD as you can (both outside and interior sirens, flashing HEADLIGHTS, and interior strobes to blind them)! A pager is a excellent idea also. But be careful! You never know exactly what you are up against. If it was me I would yell at them and maybe shoot my shotgun up in the air to scare them off. That would most likely be enough!!
    I did hear a story of one car owner who was notified silently by his pager and snuck up behind the punk in the car and broke his legs with a baseball bat! I say, serves him right!!

I will give the benefit of the doubt to the 'not in their right mind' scum, as we all know, but for the majority of the sane population a GOOD VERY LOUD alarm with A LOT of flashing lights will do the job!!

Some other theft prevention tips:

*Get a back up battery and siren for your alarm.
    (The back up batteries are little and DEI makes them) or you could use your second audio system battery, if you have one.

*Get a hood lock or hid your hood release lever, so they cannot get to it.
    Also, disable your trunk/hatch cable release lever inside and just use key.

*Shave off your interior door opening latches, so they cannot reach in and unlock.

*Make your audio system as stealth as you can.
    (Bolts, security screws, false faceplate (always take it with you), take down radar detector, etc.....)

*Get a starter kill or DIY ignition kill. I have seen ignition kill kits at Pep Boys Auto Parts. For extra security, use 2 kill switches hidden at different locations, so IF they find one, it still will not start until the other is switched on.

*When you park your ride, turn your wheels toward the curb. (Makes it harder to tow away). Always put on your emergency brake and lock it in gear for manual.

*Use wheel locks with special keys that are notched to fit in a tire lug wrench. Also, use a locking gas cap lock.

*Use common sense. (Park in well lit areas, do not leave valuables in plain sight, etc....)

**The most important of all tips: Turn down your audio system when you are going to park it for a extended period of time. Do it plenty of time in advance, especially if you are a big bass head like me! You never know if you will be turning the wrong heads to look at your ride.

I hope this true story and these theft prevention tips will help other custom riders and sound enthusiasts stay safer and keep their gear longer.

You might be riding in a mobile Fort Knox, but you will feel better when you park it knowing your ride can defend itself!

Take care, keep safe and keep crankin' the noise (within reason, of course)!

BTW, if anyone has a story, more tips to add or questions, feel free to jump in!!

Rockford Fosgate Vintage Old School Fanatic: "A Passion For Performance"!
    Cerwin Vega! Turn It Up! Since 1954. "50(more)years of disturbing the peace"!

Stinger, "Higher Performance Car Audio Accessories"!

dB Drag Racing/Bass Race/Psychlone

It is better to be safe than sorry: Invest in a Alarm!

TeenWolf is offline Audiophile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: ALARM SUCCESS STORY AND OTHER THEFT PREVENTION TIPS from a Alarm Tech. MUST READ!

Good post. I agree with everything you said. I remember meeting a friend in the store when I was buying my alarm....he thought it wasn't necessary. That night, his system was robbed! He now thinks an alarm is a good idea

I currently have a 2 way responder installed and I'm comfortable with it, but I'm interested in learning more about these Piezo Alarms. What are they?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: ALARM SUCCESS STORY AND OTHER THEFT PREVENTION TIPS from a Alarm Tech. MUST READ!

You can get the piezo sirens at Parts Express/Radio Shack or try your local car audio&security store. They are little and black. Very high pitched and better inside.
    DEI makes them also.

digital mint is offline Open up

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Excellent! i'd like to know more about the strobe lights. Where can i purchase them? Have a link?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can get them at Wal-Mart (in the car audio section) and from where I mentioned above.

Try: www.partsexpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Are the Piezo Alarms hard to install?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Or the strobe lights? I'm assuming that it has to be tied into your car alarm, which could get tricky.

theCybe is offline sector three

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ehh.

*Shave off your interior door opening latches, so they cannot reach in and unlock.

?

Black_Jesus is offline The Unexpected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theCybe
    Ehh.

?
    in some cars the little nub that you pull on to unlock the door doesnt fall flush on the door sill, thus u can stick a tool it, grab it, pull... and voila... the door is unlocked

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon14 Re: ALARM SUCCESS STORY AND OTHER THEFT PREVENTION TIPS from a Alarm Tech. MUST READ!

Quote Originally Posted by TeenWolf
    Are the Piezo Alarms hard to install?

No. You just wire the piezo siren(s) in parallel to your alarm output siren wire.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon14 Re: ALARM SUCCESS STORY AND OTHER THEFT PREVENTION TIPS from a Alarm Tech. MUST READ!

Quote Originally Posted by TeenWolf
    Or the strobe lights? I'm assuming that it has to be tied into your car alarm, which could get tricky.
    Just wire the strobe(s) in parallel with your alarm flashing light output wire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RFCV
    Just wire the strobe(s) in parallel with your alarm flashing light output wire.
    Great! Sounds simple. I'll look into getting one. Thanx!

AVSTANG02 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a question.

I would like a super alarm. with ear peircing alarms and blinding strobes.

now what happens during a false alarm heh.?

We need many many more details to this setup. Like tips on what to wire up to go off when.. etc etc...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AVSTANG02
    I have a question.

I would like a super alarm. with ear peircing alarms and blinding strobes.

now what happens during a false alarm heh.?

The most you can do to prevent false alarms is make sure all your alarm sensors sensitivity is not set too high. The best thing to do is set them 3/4 to half to minimize false alarms. It will take force (more than you testing it) to actually break in. Also, make sure your wiring connections are secure.

We need many many more details to this setup. Like tips on what to wire up to go off when.. etc etc...

I will help out all I can, but also check out: 'Security' @ www.Carsound.com, 'Security Sense' @ www.Sounddomain.com and 'Auto Security' @ www.Termpro.com All of these forums have expert advice from other fellow knowledgeable alarm techs that can help also. Also check out www.the12volt.com and www.Bulldogsecurity.com Bulldog has DIY alarms that are self-contained units and are very easy to install. Just basic mechanical and wiring knowledge. The set back is that you can't add on more sensors, sirens or lights to 'customize'. For DIY alarms, I would also highly recommend the 'WASP' and 'HORNET' from DEI, the same manufacturer that makes the popular VIPER! www.Directed.com Very reliable, strong alarms and have been in the auto security biz a very long time!
    They do have basic current and shock with a siren which is basic protection. It is much better than nothing at all!
    Last edited by RFCV; 07-30-2005 at 12:08 AM.

AVSTANG02 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

awsome thanks!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

User Tag List