Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2365 Post(s)

Re: Front end alignment

That's a quick way I measure toe but what about caster and camber?

Refs = PapaGeno21, Goindef154, 92c1v1c, Disarmer, chemmins, 97maxima, kroid777, ithertz, basscort2009, hunterw, mar08052, appleyard, millimac247, jonny101abc, sundownz, cranberryyumyum, mig139, daboyfrumdabx, skateguy92, basebalz13.

Bomber Z is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

That get more technical and run the string measuring the top and bottom. A set of ramps makes it easier to get under and make measurements and you can use a level as long as your on a level surface. There's lots of different ways to deal with lots of different cars. Once you get to see the concept it all comes together. Most garage floors are level. Need to check but most are close enough to even use a square to check C&C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Years ago I worked with a guy that built racecar frame rail on a gig and taped out reference points taped out on the floor of his shop. It all works of centerline. That what measured on the left must measure on the right or it was just wrong. Now C&C adjustment really don't play much in a daily driver. But in a track car it is a must be right for the pitch to be right to enter and exit every corner or the tires will run out before the end of the race.

Slo_Ride is offline Take It Easy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2365 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber Z View Post
    Years ago I worked with a guy that built racecar frame rail on a gig and taped out reference points taped out on the floor of his shop. It all works of centerline. That what measured on the left must measure on the right or it was just wrong. Now C&C adjustment really don't play much in a daily driver. But in a track car it is a must be right for the pitch to be right to enter and exit every corner or the tires will run out before the end of the race.
    I used to build dirt track cars. Been thinking about getting back into it. I think there are a couple of pics in the Random Picture thread.

Refs = PapaGeno21, Goindef154, 92c1v1c, Disarmer, chemmins, 97maxima, kroid777, ithertz, basscort2009, hunterw, mar08052, appleyard, millimac247, jonny101abc, sundownz, cranberryyumyum, mig139, daboyfrumdabx, skateguy92, basebalz13.

Flipper245 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)

I do the toe by eye. Centre the steering wheel. Crouch down in front of the car and visually line up the front tire with the rear. The edges should go to the outside of the rear slightly. That way you will have a bit of toe in. Every time you make an adjustment to one side you have to re centre the steering wheel before visually checking again. You could put a straight edge up to the wheel or tire also to help see the line. It doesn't have to be perfect. As long as you have a bit of toe in. Take for a quick drive to see if the wheel is straight and if it's out a bit just take a bit of adjustment out of one side or the other. Whatever side is going to get you closer to perfect. I've been dropping cars and aligning like this for years and it does take a bit of practise because part of it is done by feel(the drive). For camber I just use a level.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Love dirt track to. Hell I love just about any racing. If I had the backing I would be in any race I can. I spend more time fixing things now then braking them. It is more fun braking stuff. I need to have my garage that I can fit everything into. Like a lift and all my other tool. Right now my garage is to small and using a back room for my car audio stuff and it is a PITA to do my audio stuff out front going back and forth. Hopefully this will change in the next year. It is all possible so I will be doing what I can to make it happen. Hopefully we all have some good change in this country soon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

User Tag List