Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Squealing

Masonbaim93 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Squealing

My Vehicle has recently been making a intense squealing sound upon first start up, but mainly just when it's cold outside. From what I have listened to it sounds like the timing belt is creating the noise, but many have been saying the belt won't squeak because of the teeth. Also, I just put a new high output alternator in to keep from my lights dimming with my subwoofers, an I don't know if my alternator is the cause or the cold weather. I'm leaning more torwards the alternator, at night when my headlights are on the squeal won't make a sound. However when I stop at a light or let off of the gas and my subs are hitting hard the squeal will start for a short time and will disappear if I let off the gas, or turn my radio down. Also when at idle there is a very faint squeal almost unnoticeable but when I crank my speakers up, the squeal gets extremely loud. So I'm wanting to know if I need to replace my timing belt, or what are the other possibilities.

Vehicle information:
    1993 Suzuki Sidekick JX
    16 value 4 cylinder 1.6 liter

Alternator-110 amps
    Dura last gold battery
    (2) 820 watt pioneer amps
    (2) 10" alpine type e subwoofers

Loudmp5 is offline skyhigh&banginlow

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Re: Squealing

i dont think its your timing belt but one of your other belts (serpentine) if you have one i suggest tightening your alt first since you have replaced it recently

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms,An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject,Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.,Gun control is not about guns; it's about control,You only have the rights you are willing to fight for,Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety,You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive,Assault is a behavior, not a device,64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday,All Rights Reserved,The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others,What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you NOT understand?,guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

alternator belt?? could be a number of things, i know my buddy was always repairing things on his sidekick or samuri. GL.

Kingstroker is offline Mr Dique

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

replace the alternator/serpentine belt and while doing that check the idler and or tensioner pulley. More then likely the belt is old and/or glazed. If it squeals, it's slipping.

'05 F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 4X4 Off Road Modded Powerstroke
    Rebuild in process
    Pioneer DEH 80PRS
    Modded Linear Power LP4753IQ
    Front Woofer: Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.5"
    Front Tweeter: SEAS Neos in pods
    Back: Pioneer TS-D6802R
    Knukonceptz Karma 12ga
    Stinger HPM3 RCA's
    Big 8: PhoenixGold Oga

Atimm693 is offline Shadetree Mechanic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As said timing belts can't squeal because of they are cogged and won't slip.

If your vehicle tensions the belts by moving the alternator, then you can try tightening it first. If it has a spring-loaded tensioner, remove the alternator belt and get a new high quality belt. Don't skimp because I'm guessing you want the most out of that alternator. Spin each idler and tensioner pulley and make sure they're smooth and spin freely.

1994 Toyota Camry
    Pioneer DEHP6400BT
    Rockford Fosgate 1050S
    12" DD 3512C
    2.5 cuft, 35hz
    1050wrms@4ohms

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Definitely not your timing belt. If your timing belt "slips" your ignition timing would be off(incorrect) and you would have other issues besides squealing. I agree with everyone else with it being your alternator belt if you have V belts or your serpentine belt if thats what you have. You should replace it asap since it's already glazed from squealing. You don't want it to snap, leaving you stranded. It ***** walking a couple miles to a parts stores just to spend money and walk a couple more miles back to your car. At least it's winter time and cool out side though.

Closed Thread