Closed Thread

Reload Thread: F-150 Electrical Problem PLEASE HELP

camdogg4570 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Icon9 F-150 Electrical Problem PLEASE HELP

I have a 1997 F-150. a couple months ago I installed a new 130 amp alternator, the stock alt was a 95 amp. I haven't had any problems or issues with it. It also has an AP-15001d amp powering a Power Acoustik MOFO X2 15, with 4 gauge power and ground wire. I do not have the big 3 or any other upgraded electrical wiring.

So this is what happened, I was driving to work at 55 mph for about 6 miles with the heater on. My radio was also on but I was not bumping any bass. The bass knob was almost completely off. Then getting onto the interstate the head lights either went off or dimmed very badly, I could not tell, I also couldn't see any gauges on my dash. The radio "turned off" but it began to beep. I was traveling at 70 mph (about 2000 rpm) for about 3 miles. Then when I exited off the interstate right when I let off the gas everything turned back on, headlights, radio ect... When I arrived at work I turned the truck off and turned it back on and everything seemed to be working properly. I unplugged the amp after that. after work I went home a different way so I didn't get on the interstate and drove 55 mph and everything was fine. All of the gauges worked as they should.

If you have any idea to what could have caused this, or have any idea of what I should check/test please let me know.

Thanks

camdogg4570 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: F-150 Electrical Problem PLEASE HELP

Any ideas?????????

akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Re: F-150 Electrical Problem PLEASE HELP

take it somewhere with a higher function scanner, not like the obd2 you can buy everywhere. a genesis or snap-on/mac/etc should do. have it checked for events/codes. may show a power loss to the bcm (which happens to be your instrument cluster) possibly it may have found a fault, and disabled whatever circuit caused the fault, likely related to trans. does not always show the "check engine" mil when it happens. other than that, you can check power connections at the power dist/fuse.

*IF I have forgotten to exchange feedback, please let me know*
    i buy broken amps....
    No, i will not "gift" paypal. please do not even make it awkward by asking. if the fees are an issue, I am usually inclined to add them. unless you have discount elsewhere, shipping is through usps flat rate, through usps parcel post, or through the roof..... i am in alaska. thanks
    -Heath H-

Closed Thread