Bologna is offline Ad ministrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport

I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport SE, 4 door, 4.0L v6

It won't start, it'll turn over but that's it. I just bought a brand new battery and it still won't work so that's not the problem.

It worked fine the day before but I went to turn it on in the morning and it wouldn't start. And my Jeep is kept in my heated garage every night too so it wasn't the weather.

I can start to smell gas when trying to turn it on especially when I open the hood. Not sure what that means those.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Refs: BlackWaterOp x2, Master69 x3, Scottie x3, RidnClean, JusBlaze (Scammed Me), SPLaudio x3, ltr450racer690, dbeez, LuisT, SPY, Mgcauctions09 x3, pieper88 x3, scottyk, Jh8909, JB312, stretch, Mechman, 01SpyderDB23, andrewtexas123, 50 black guys, bubbagumper6, btr, SacTownBully84

plugitin is offline She Bangs plugitin is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport

coil...or the magnetic pickup in the dizzy.

Team DC Audio

Refs: absoluteaudio, rab, walnut, seedubs1, dbeez, -leister-, Louisiana_crx, bubbagumper6, DS Autpsports, Mr.Ronin_2U, lil98cabrio, wone, micah_jones, grinder1989

3. Thanks Bologna thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a car guru so a little more explanation would be helpful lol. Sorry.

Refs: BlackWaterOp x2, Master69 x3, Scottie x3, RidnClean, JusBlaze (Scammed Me), SPLaudio x3, ltr450racer690, dbeez, LuisT, SPY, Mgcauctions09 x3, pieper88 x3, scottyk, Jh8909, JB312, stretch, Mechman, 01SpyderDB23, andrewtexas123, 50 black guys, bubbagumper6, btr, SacTownBully84

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, its ok

The coil is what sends spark to your spark plugs. They can and do randomly die. Pretty easy to replace.

There is a pickup of some sort in the distributer that can go bad...should be easy to replace also.

These would be where i would start if it was me

Team DC Audio

Refs: absoluteaudio, rab, walnut, seedubs1, dbeez, -leister-, Louisiana_crx, bubbagumper6, DS Autpsports, Mr.Ronin_2U, lil98cabrio, wone, micah_jones, grinder1989

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by plugitin View Post
    lol, its ok

The coil is what sends spark to your spark plugs. They can and do randomly die. Pretty easy to replace.

There is a pickup of some sort in the distributer that can go bad...should be easy to replace also.

These would be where i would start if it was me

Alright, I'll check that out tomorrow. I'm making a list of possible problems. Other things I have written down to check is: Fuel, air filter, compression, spark plugs, and crankshaft position sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bologna View Post
    Alright, I'll check that out tomorrow. I'm making a list of possible problems. Other things I have written down to check is: Fuel, air filter, compression, spark plugs, and crankshaft position sensor.
    crankshaft sensor is the only one out of there that would make it just stop running one day. Maybe, and just MAYBE the fuel filter.

Team DC Audio

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright thanks bro. I'll see what I figure out tomorrow after school.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bologna View Post
    Alright thanks bro. I'll see what I figure out tomorrow after school.
    no problem. I doubt youll be able to tell if most of those things are bad by looking at them. I mean, if they have broken wires you will be able to.

Team DC Audio

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The spark plugs were getting spark but I don't think enough. They sparked like every 1.5 seconds when i was cracking it over. I think it should spark faster than that.

I just towed it up to the local car mechanic and I'm going to see what he says. But he said it'd probably be Monday before he looks at it.

Rickdod3 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im going to say its most likely a spark issue. Try that first

Buyer/Seller Feedback
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/505787-rickdod3-feedback.html

Bob Saget is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

distributor cap & rotor, fuel pump, check your major fuses & relays

audioatg is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That spit sputter spark you see when you are cranking it over is going to be some what normal. Your not going to get a good spark(well constant) from it because its not up and running. What kind of spark tester were you using. Also were did you test it.

Pulling that cap off and check the cap and rotor you could of done yourself very very easy to do on a jeep 4.0 motor.

My next thing is you say you can smell fuel under the hood. Its fuel injected you shouldnt smell fuel at all under the hood unless you have a leak some place. Could very well cause a no start.

When you were sitting in your jeep cranking it. Did you happen to look at the RPM gauge did it go up from zero when you were trying to crank it. Or did it just stay at zero the whole time you were cranking it.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audioatg View Post
    That spit sputter spark you see when you are cranking it over is going to be some what normal. Your not going to get a good spark(well constant) from it because its not up and running. What kind of spark tester were you using. Also were did you test it.

Pulling that cap off and check the cap and rotor you could of done yourself very very easy to do on a jeep 4.0 motor.

My next thing is you say you can smell fuel under the hood. Its fuel injected you shouldnt smell fuel at all under the hood unless you have a leak some place. Could very well cause a no start.

When you were sitting in your jeep cranking it. Did you happen to look at the RPM gauge did it go up from zero when you were trying to crank it. Or did it just stay at zero the whole time you were cranking it.
    All I did to test the spark was take off the cover for spark plug # 6, I believe, and stick a screwdriver in there and laid it across something that was grounded.

I believe the RPMs sat at 0. Can remember that well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm...makes me wana say its the lil magnetic pickup in the distributer. I forget what theyre called on the jeeps...

and could you here the fuel pump turn on? its uncommon for them to just die. But it is possible

Team DC Audio

audioatg is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by plugitin View Post
    Hmm...makes me wana say its the lil magnetic pickup in the distributer. I forget what theyre called on the jeeps...

and could you here the fuel pump turn on? its uncommon for them to just die. But it is possible
    Its a cap and rotor type. What you and others are thinking of is a tad bit older in age, years. This type the rotor sits on a shaft and spins around sending spark to each spark plug through the cap from the coil.

Now saying you think you seen the RPMs just sit at zero while you were cranking it. Says crank signal. Crank position sensor do go bad on the jeeps all the time. And will give you a weak spark while cranking. That sensor sits on top on the bell housing area. Near the steering shaft.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast