Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Coolant leaking

nateberrier is offline ******

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Coolant leaking

I have coolant leaking from the front of my Chevette. The thermostat, radiator, and hoses have been replaces. The leak seems to be coming from the front of the engine block. It only seems to leak when the car is running and drips pretty fast. My diagnosis is the water pump but I wanted to see if anyone else thought differently. Possibly a freeze plug or head gasket? I dont think so for either but Im no engine mechanic either.

Refs: mrmakinmoves[SCAMMER] AKA ICHASEPAPER2010, skydeaner, fukinmovin, mossberg385t, grimreper912003, LBC99, Dbeez, Michaellane, thegreatestpenn, truckstoy, ge_off_me, btr, cupid6969, johnprdeye, jh8909, tylerj, UMWDawg92, nu2spl, zerosktr111, SPLAUDIO, $LICK CALIFA$, jfroghobo

http://www.execution-audio.com/

whitedragon551 is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Re: Coolant leaking

Head gasket would be my first guess. Check if there is coolant in the oil. If there isnt chances are its not the head gasket.

CA.com FAQ's
    CA.com TOS Agreement
    Forum Rules

HU: ///Alpine 9887, KCE-400BT, KCE-433IV, KTX-100EQ Imprint, 8Gb iPod Touch
    Front Mids: Eclipse SC6500
    Front Tweeters: Morel made Xtant 28MM Silks
    Subs: Audiomobile Evo 10" TC2+
    Enclosure: 1.1 Cubes sealed with 10 Ounces Poly Fill
    Amp: Audio Systems Twister F6 380 III

snoopdan is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

It's called a weap hole, it's on your water pump. Which mean's your pump is about to go to ****. Replace.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I got a pump because my first thought was the water pump, I really havent had time to look at it in the daylight so i havent been able to check the oil, mostly i was hoping it wasnt a freeze plug and wanted another opinion.

Refs: mrmakinmoves[SCAMMER] AKA ICHASEPAPER2010, skydeaner, fukinmovin, mossberg385t, grimreper912003, LBC99, Dbeez, Michaellane, thegreatestpenn, truckstoy, ge_off_me, btr, cupid6969, johnprdeye, jh8909, tylerj, UMWDawg92, nu2spl, zerosktr111, SPLAUDIO, $LICK CALIFA$, jfroghobo

ltr450racer690 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

could be freeze plugs in the block

Bought from:99grandprixGT,chereck04,Shinju, mrmakinmoves,basscort2009,TnT_Sounds, Sicaudio,KHARPS
    trades with:Bologna,Jordon32990,kraudio12
    SOLD TO: j225, taylorfade, dkhage1 , vulocity22
    2009 Subaru legacy se
    headunit: JVC-KR8500
    Front fill: 2 ST350 and 8 6" selenium
    Substage: 4 sa10's in a 4th order
    Sub power: Sundown 3500 at .5
    Electrical: Yt under hood 6 33ah in the trunk, 1/0 shok everywere

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Where are freeze plugs typically located? I know the engine usually needs pulled to replace them. I just got off my *** and checked the oil, I dont see any coolant or water in the oil on the dipstick. Im doing a change tomorrow so Ill know that for sure. It doesnt smoke when its running and actually runs well at this point, Being that it seems to come from the front my guess is the water pump but there is a cover so i cant see the pump at all. I get the windshield tomorrow and i guess thats when ill be doing the pump. It sat for about three years without a radiator and a small amount of coolant/water in the block, has a new thermostat, radiator and hoses.

audioatg is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its a G5. What motor is it. And is the leak on the left or right side. SO say you are facing your car. motor in front of you. leak on the left or right. How many miles do you have on it. Anf reeze plugs lol. Id go with water pump first or INTAKE gaskets first. Or even that intake plenuim gasket if its the 3.9.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

No sir, its a Chevette, the G5 is fine engine wise. 86k on the vette. New thermostat and radiator. the leak is coming from the front of the engine if im facing it, I cant tell if its the pump because its covered up, I drove it around because it hasnt really been moved since I worked on it. After driving it for probably a half a mile, I let it sit running, and then off and there really hasnt been any further leaking, I still suspect the water pump (i bought one).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chevette. A vette then. What motor is in it. LT or LS. LT's are very very known for water pumps going bad.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Its a cs 1.6L

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nateberrier View Post
    Its a cs 1.6L
    Year. Im going to have to look this up for some bit. My interest is very peaked.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

And no I didnt mean 'vette, I meant Chevette, 1986 1.6L 3 Speed auto 2DR hatchback,

Has a windshield and minus the A/C now BTW

PS its a tallblock inline four. 90% its the water pump unless of course the freeze plugs are in the front too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And no I didnt mean 'vette, I meant Chevette, 1986 1.6L 3 Speed auto 2DR hatchback,

Has a windshield and minus the A/C now BTW

PS its a tallblock inline four. 90% its the water pump unless of course the freeze plugs are in the front too.
    O I know the car. Worked on a few of them. Couple of local farm kids have them for work cars. Fun little car it is.

Im banking its the water pump. Have you tried to pressure test it. Kits like that are cheap and could always use one down the road. Also the freeze plugs will be along the block. Most likely will be on the passanger side the way the block is slanted to.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I tore the front off the **** thing today, it was the pump. I wish I had just taken it to someone though. Had to take off the timing belt to get to it, also found out the main is leaking. Thats the nature of the beast though, hopefully after this ill be done though.

TwoEggCustoms is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I tore the front off the **** thing today, it was the pump. I wish I had just taken it to someone though. Had to take off the timing belt to get to it, also found out the main is leaking. Thats the nature of the beast though, hopefully after this ill be done though.
    make sure you have the timing procedure before putting the timing belt back on or you will be in some trouble lol

VDub
    1991 VDub 4dr jetta wolfsburg edition

ASE certified in electrical and brakes

HU-alpine
    AMP- digital audio DAB1800x
    SUB- 18" nightshade
    COMP-spl 6x9s

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast