Closed Thread

Reload Thread: motor question for you chevy guys

pitbull12887 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

motor question for you chevy guys

Bought a 97 Camaro RS that im wanting to convert to a v8. Im thinking all i need is the motor ( Fresh rebuilt 72 chevelle 350 4 bolt main ) , im going to use a 6 speed from a lt1 and what else should i need besides motor mounts? If i convert it to carb i dont need to change computers correct? Thanks for the help guys!

- Mike

refs include:

Jep772 ; crazycornuts18 ; sweet06camry ; gordos420 ; revrider1 ; 22mountaineer ; SlickCMRick ; kidthump ; david706 ; qtrhorse ; terryracing86 ; mike dressure ; xsabesx - twice ; Louisiana_CRX ; black_sedan ; silvercookie ; derekbannatyne ; outspoken ; rmdl51 ; blaze383 - 2x ; plyer3 ; GtoDave ; HyPnAwTiKpImP ; smllysack ; Cloak559 ; Looney_Tune
    + alot more but i cant remember them.

SicAudio is offline did you fart dude?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: motor question for you chevy guys

no computer need for a carb but you will have to trick it with an emg box for the rest of the cars functions

Quote Originally Posted by slammedincouch View Post
    Sic rolled me in front of my mom earlier...
    Quote Originally Posted by misfit138 View Post
    How did you manage to pack that much stupid into such a small amount of words?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I got rick rolled by SicAudio lulz
    I just got rick rolled by SicAudio again lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by chickaboom View Post
    awww.... dude! I can't believe you were the first! to rick roll me! I am a noob!
    sold to: Johnny Law.Lulz/Worstenemy453,Pumkinman, j1b1e1, DexterMoped, miyagi gboo559,CSU87,nate2587, MichaelLane, SmLLySack. MR_Imperial, Herrrerra, ltr450racer690, 05fronty bought from: TripleB45, bigwheel15, (kroid77 but never recieved..)
    helping noobs daily PM me

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SicAudio View Post
    no computer need for a carb but you will have to trick it with an emg box for the rest of the cars functions
    If i did run fuel injection i would have to change the ecu going from a v6 to a v8 correct? Which would be easier?

refs include:

Jep772 ; crazycornuts18 ; sweet06camry ; gordos420 ; revrider1 ; 22mountaineer ; SlickCMRick ; kidthump ; david706 ; qtrhorse ; terryracing86 ; mike dressure ; xsabesx - twice ; Louisiana_CRX ; black_sedan ; silvercookie ; derekbannatyne ; outspoken ; rmdl51 ; blaze383 - 2x ; plyer3 ; GtoDave ; HyPnAwTiKpImP ; smllysack ; Cloak559 ; Looney_Tune

SicAudio is offline did you fart dude?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

dueces either way you have to change to ecu or buy an emg so........

Quote Originally Posted by slammedincouch View Post
    Sic rolled me in front of my mom earlier...
    Quote Originally Posted by misfit138 View Post
    How did you manage to pack that much stupid into such a small amount of words?
    I got rick rolled by SicAudio lulz
    I just got rick rolled by SicAudio again lulz.
    Quote Originally Posted by chickaboom View Post
    awww.... dude! I can't believe you were the first! to rick roll me! I am a noob!
    sold to: Johnny Law.Lulz/Worstenemy453,Pumkinman, j1b1e1, DexterMoped, miyagi gboo559,CSU87,nate2587, MichaelLane, SmLLySack. MR_Imperial, Herrrerra, ltr450racer690, 05fronty bought from: TripleB45, bigwheel15, (kroid77 but never recieved..)
    helping noobs daily PM me

SplAffair is offline I lol'd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull12887 View Post
    Bought a 97 Camaro RS that im wanting to convert to a v8. Im thinking all i need is the motor ( Fresh rebuilt 72 chevelle 350 4 bolt main ) , im going to use a 6 speed from a lt1 and what else should i need besides motor mounts? If i convert it to carb i dont need to change computers correct? Thanks for the help guys!

- Mike
    you will need a manual fuel pump that bolts on to the bblock (bottom toward the front on the passenger side) and no you dont need any computers for a carb.

Quote Originally Posted by predxen View Post
    Its not as loud as it should be, you stop hearing it about a block away. you should be able to hear it a quarter mile away.
    Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    You need to keep the smoke INSIDE the amplifier. Once you've allowed all the happy smoke to escape the amp will stop working.
    BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by splaffair View Post
    you will need a manual fuel pump that bolts on to the bblock (bottom toward the front on the passenger side) and no you dont need any computers for a carb.
    Right, i forgot about that. Ive only used a block off plate and used the electric fuel pump before. How would i go about from using a electric to a manual? What all work would have to be done?

refs include:

Old skool junky is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I did my truck (92 Chevy 1500) I put a fuel pressure regulator on it to bring it down to like 6 psi. It was a fuel injected v6 and its now a carbuerated v8. A lotta little "nickel and dime" bs, but very worthwile.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SicAudio View Post
    dueces either way you have to change to ecu or buy an emg so........
    Couldnt i just run fuel injection on the new motor and have the computer flashed to reset the memory when i finish installing everything?

refs include:

cx-7heaven is offline The dash don't be silent

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You do NOT need to get rid of your electric pump, just get a regulator that goes to 6-8psi. Unless your car is a stick, you will need to get all the clutchgear, and pedals for that 6 speed. If you decide to run EFI, I would get an aftermarket controller, it would just be cheaper to run a carb. Your radiator will probably not be large enough, so you need to get one of those as well. Front springs will be too soft, upgrade those. Motor mounts, make sure you have the correct ones. When you get the tranny, make sure to get the crossover support, and the bar that links the tranny and the rearend together.

'08 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
    Head: Clarion VZ401
    Mids: Diamond D9-71 component set
    Subs: Team PSI platform 2 18"d4 in 4 cu.ft
    Amps: Soundstream REF 4.760, Hifonics BXI2610d @ 2ohms(1700 rms)
    refs-here: Spooney, mj-tc, Cleansoundz, rc10mike, kmanian, cozce, Spy, ewoevo, stylez12321, stirfri4202,nihl8ion
    ssa: sundownz, mike@ssa, BKOLFO4
    DIYMA: lashlee, nigel1977, Ibizonacid
    CACO: snyderd758

unscarredcfh is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the motor you are using came from a 72 chevelle doesn't it already have a manual fuel pump with it or at least a place to put it? GM used manual fuel pumps, in F bodies at least, until 85.

I Like Waffle is offline Be Swangin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Shoulda left it in the chevelle.

Closed Thread