Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Mechanic mind teasers... if you're bored.

ShiningBuick is offline NotLoudEnuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mechanic mind teasers... if you're bored.

Once in a while in my auto class the teacher gives us these little mind bogglers for fun... I figured you guys would enjoy them, too!

This first one I've been mulling over a couple days.. I can't think of a definite answer.. maybe you guys will know:

#1: A Mazda 626 that won't move comes to the shop. The automatic trans fluid in it is black and burnt.. uh oh, smoked transmission! When the guys are pushing it into the shop they notice the brake lights don't work, either. Upon inspection all the brake light bulbs are burnt out! So, myth or fact... the smoked transmission and the burned out brake lights both have the same underlying cause and one repair will cure both??

This is a good one..
    #2: A 1991 Lincoln Town care comes into the shop.. rust POS. The owner says it needs a tuneup and the shift linkage adjusted, because it's getting poor gas mileage and the shift indicator arrow is off a gear. You tell him he's obviously just got it in the wrong gear (low), but he says he can feel all 4 shifts that it should have. Upon further inspection, there is only one thing wrong with this car that needs replacing to fix all his problems... what's the one thing wrong and why's it causing the issues?

and finally..
    #3: A 1993 Explorer comes to the shop. It's got a bunch of white smoke coming from the tail pipe out the rear, and it's been shifting hard. Mike, the senior tech thinks it's gonna be an easy one part fix. Is he right? Why/why not?

Enjoy

FurbiesAndBeans is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Mechanic mind teasers... if you're bored.

They would be fun if your a mechanic, but for 99% of the pupulation... no...

2009 Mazdaspeed 3
    Headunit - Stock
    Speakers - Stock
    Subwoofer - 10" RD Sonance Flatwound D2
    Subwoofer box - 1.25 cu ft tuned to 35hz
    Subwoofer amp - Absolute EVD-2200
    Wiring - 4ga KnuKonceptz

jco1385 is offline expert jcologist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShiningBuick View Post
    Once in a while in my auto class the teacher gives us these little mind bogglers for fun... I figured you guys would enjoy them, too!

This first one I've been mulling over a couple days.. I can't think of a definite answer.. maybe you guys will know:

#1: A Mazda 626 that won't move comes to the shop. The automatic trans fluid in it is black and burnt.. uh oh, smoked transmission! When the guys are pushing it into the shop they notice the brake lights don't work, either. Upon inspection all the brake light bulbs are burnt out! So, myth or fact... the smoked transmission and the burned out brake lights both have the same underlying cause and one repair will cure both??
    no. burnt trans fluid and burnt tail light bulbs CAN NOT be fixed by one repair. you have to repair the bulbs (aka get new ones), AND the transmission. thats 2 repairs

1994 Thunderbird
    JVC KD-AV7010
    Alpine 6x9 3-ways
    Pioneer 6x8 3-ways (rear)
    JVC CH-X1500 12-disc MP3 Changer
    Alpine Type X 12" 2 cubes @ 30hz
    MTX 404 runs the inside
    MTX 1501d runs the X
    Optima G75/25 RT up front
    2x Optima G31 YT in the trunk
    200a EA HO Alt (1/0 Big 3)
    ALL MY WIRE IS WELDING CABLE
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    I always knew I was a feggot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashaddd View Post
    We're all feggots on the inside
    Quote Originally Posted by ToledoTom View Post
    I am sure the administration will be having a few words with you when they catch wind of your language.
    DO NOT SEND ME ANYTHING USING UPS. I WILL NOT DEAL WITH THEM EVER AGAIN
    OFFICIAL FEEDBACK THREAD

fasfocus00 is offline doITdaWHITEwayORdoITtwice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShiningBuick View Post

This is a good one..
    #2: A 1991 Lincoln Town care comes into the shop.. rust POS. The owner says it needs a tuneup and the shift linkage adjusted, because it's getting poor gas mileage and the shift indicator arrow is off a gear. You tell him he's obviously just got it in the wrong gear (low), but he says he can feel all 4 shifts that it should have. Upon further inspection, there is only one thing wrong with this car that needs replacing to fix all his problems... what's the one thing wrong and why's it causing the issues?

and finally..
    #3: A 1993 Explorer comes to the shop. It's got a bunch of white smoke coming from the tail pipe out the rear, and it's been shifting hard. Mike, the senior tech thinks it's gonna be an easy one part fix. Is he right? Why/why not?

Enjoy
    my guess
    #1 - one repair will not cure both problems b/c the brake lights not functioning is probably from a blown fuse and the transmission is not linked in any way to the taillights.

#2 - the driver can feel the car shift 4 times b/c the 4th time is the torque converter turning off. he's getting bad gas mileage b/c the car is running at a higher RPM and burning more fuel. the only thing that needs to get fixed is the shifter.

#3 - it might be an easy fix but my guess is that it has a blown head gasket and that there's water or some other type of fluid in the transmission. depending on the make and model it might have a bad valve body or computer.

Here is my feedback Thread: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...ght=fasfocus00

"If you ain't cheatin', You ain't trying"

mlstrass is online now Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

#3 - just a guess - vehicle uses a vacuum shift modulator and it's pulling tranny fluid into the engine.

mlstrass is online now Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fasfocus00 View Post
    my guess
    #1 - one repair will not cure both problems b/c the brake lights not functioning is probably from a blown fuse and the transmission is not linked in any way to the taillights.

#2 - the driver can feel the car shift 4 times b/c the 4th time is the torque converter turning off. he's getting bad gas mileage b/c the car is running at a higher RPM and burning more fuel. the only thing that needs to get fixed is the shifter.

#3 - it might be an easy fix but my guess is that it has a blown head gasket and that there's water or some other type of fluid in the transmission. depending on the make and model it might have a bad valve body or computer.
    how does a TC turn off???? Do you mean locking up?

GTPAddict is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First guess is someone has been riding the brakes, or the brake booster is holding pressure onthebrakes causing extra load on the trans. Without knowing the condition of the brakes it's hard to tell. I'll think some more about this one...

Linkage/trans is third gear? 4th shift could actually be TCC locking.

Leaking modulator valve?

Give him this one...

1991 Chevy Van - Delay wipers and washers do not work, high and low speeds work fine. Switches test good and all related wiring is good.

Answer - open washer pump motor. The delay ckt ground through the washer pump motor
    Last edited by GTPAddict; 12-08-2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Added question

- Eddie

Just another 13.0 second Grand Prix

ShiningBuick is offline NotLoudEnuff

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    #3 - just a guess - vehicle uses a vacuum shift modulator and it's pulling tranny fluid into the engine.
    Yep, that's it!!

#2.. forgot to mention, this is a Ford AOD transmission, and it doesn't have a lockup converter. It had no problems until he drove it down a very bumpy stretch of road.. hmmm.

#1.. ok ok, not one repair.. one CAUSE. Lol. The brakes ARE linked to the trans in newer cars (like the 626).. they tell the TCC to release when applied/

Closed Thread