Closed Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Reload Thread: Front wheel bearing bad??

  1. #1
    NoCoSPL's Avatar
    NoCoSPL is offline A Daily Loud Trunk



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North, North
    Posts
    609
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Front wheel bearing bad??

    First off 05 Honda civic 2dr.

    In the morning when its cold out i can start my car fine no noise, but as soon as i get rolling i hear awful scraping noise that slowly dissipates as i keep driving, inside the cabin i don't hear scraping after awhile but the car still howls down the road like i got 33's on it or somethin.

    I lifted my front end and noticed on my wheel i have a little bit of play if i grab onto the spoke and rock it back and fourth, very slight though. None of the other tires do that, they're solid. Yes the lugnuts are on tight

    With the front end in the air i took the wheel and spun it like i was on the price as right, my passenger front wheel kinda clickty clacks as it spins too

    I don't know what else to blame but the wheel bearing, what do you guys think?



    05 Civic 2dr- (2) HDC3A15's, (2) IA 40.1s strapped at 1 ohm, (3) Kinetic 2400's, (1) Kinetic 1400, KnuConceptz wire, 200A EA alt

    TL Scores: Legal sealed 150.7 @ 41 Hz, Outlaw 152.9 in kick @ 41 hz


    My Window Flex Vids www.youtube.com/teamshakinghorizons




  2. #2
    audioatg's Avatar
    audioatg is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NJ 08080
    Posts
    1,741
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Front wheel bearing bad??

    Well take it down the road. Now I will have to think about this for a sec. When you do make sure no one else is around. Sway the vehicle back and forth. See when you do this. You will put load on one wheel and take the load off the other wheel. Do this for a few times. So when you turn to the right( or sway) you are putting the load on the left wheel. Load is off on the left wheel. You can find what side the noise is coming from doing that. And opposite for when you turn left (sway left)

    Or another way. Jack both sides up. Put on stands block the back wheels. Get a freind to run the vehicle. Craw under it some and use a long screw driver and listen to each bearing.

    Another thing. This click noise. Is that when you are making like parking lot turns. Could be axle shaft going too.




  3. #3
    NoCoSPL's Avatar
    NoCoSPL is offline A Daily Loud Trunk

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North, North
    Posts
    609
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Front wheel bearing bad??

    Quote Originally Posted by audioatg View Post
    Well take it down the road. Now I will have to think about this for a sec. When you do make sure no one else is around. Sway the vehicle back and forth. See when you do this. You will put load on one wheel and take the load off the other wheel. Do this for a few times. So when you turn to the right( or sway) you are putting the load on the left wheel. Load is off on the left wheel. You can find what side the noise is coming from doing that. And opposite for when you turn left (sway left)

    Or another way. Jack both sides up. Put on stands block the back wheels. Get a freind to run the vehicle. Craw under it some and use a long screw driver and listen to each bearing.

    Another thing. This click noise. Is that when you are making like parking lot turns. Could be axle shaft going too.
    Yes when i make a make a hard left turn putting strain on the right side the noise gets louder, also i checked my boots and they are all good in tact, no cracks or wear. Clicking is just the wheel spinning in general.



    05 Civic 2dr- (2) HDC3A15's, (2) IA 40.1s strapped at 1 ohm, (3) Kinetic 2400's, (1) Kinetic 1400, KnuConceptz wire, 200A EA alt

    TL Scores: Legal sealed 150.7 @ 41 Hz, Outlaw 152.9 in kick @ 41 hz


    My Window Flex Vids www.youtube.com/teamshakinghorizons

  4. #4
    Savstyle's Avatar
    Savstyle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Fresno
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Front wheel bearing bad??

    I just had my boss read what you posted.

    He said CV joints or transaxle.

    He said get it checked, it could be nasty

    Or dont he could just be a dummy

    No really get it checked



    They Call Me DARKNESS

    Gamertag: Savstyle

  5. #5
    audioatg's Avatar
    audioatg is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NJ 08080
    Posts
    1,741
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Front wheel bearing bad??

    Quote Originally Posted by NoCoSPL View Post
    Yes when i make a make a hard left turn putting strain on the right side the noise gets louder, also i checked my boots and they are all good in tact, no cracks or wear. Clicking is just the wheel spinning in general.
    Well looking at the boots is not going to tell you that whats inside is okay. How many miles does your ride have on it. And Id gather its a bearing going bad. Being I am not there No else hold me to that statment.




  6. #6
    audioatg's Avatar
    audioatg is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NJ 08080
    Posts
    1,741
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Front wheel bearing bad??

    Quote Originally Posted by NoCoSPL View Post
    First off 05 Honda civic 2dr.

    In the morning when its cold out i can start my car fine no noise, but as soon as i get rolling i hear awful scraping noise that slowly dissipates as i keep driving, inside the cabin i don't hear scraping after awhile but the car still howls down the road like i got 33's on it or somethin.

    I lifted my front end and noticed on my wheel i have a little bit of play if i grab onto the spoke and rock it back and fourth, very slight though. None of the other tires do that, they're solid. Yes the lugnuts are on tight

    With the front end in the air i took the wheel and spun it like i was on the price as right, my passenger front wheel kinda clickty clacks as it spins too

    I don't know what else to blame but the wheel bearing, what do you guys think?
    That bold part. What do you mean. As you drive the noise just goes away alltogether??




  7. #7
    Ekimdude's Avatar
    Ekimdude is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ditto
    Posts
    730
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Front wheel bearing bad??

    That is def a bad wheel bearing, I had the samething happen not long ago.




  8. #8
    NoCoSPL's Avatar
    NoCoSPL is offline A Daily Loud Trunk

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North, North
    Posts
    609
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Front wheel bearing bad??

    Quote Originally Posted by audioatg View Post
    That bold part. What do you mean. As you drive the noise just goes away alltogether??
    slowly, and faster if I reach higher speeds. The metal on metal sound is unbelievable in the cold mornings, it goes away as I hit the interstate but the howling like I have mudders on y car never stops



    05 Civic 2dr- (2) HDC3A15's, (2) IA 40.1s strapped at 1 ohm, (3) Kinetic 2400's, (1) Kinetic 1400, KnuConceptz wire, 200A EA alt

    TL Scores: Legal sealed 150.7 @ 41 Hz, Outlaw 152.9 in kick @ 41 hz


    My Window Flex Vids www.youtube.com/teamshakinghorizons

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Front wheel bearing bad??

    I concur with the bad wheel bearing theory



    Head Unit: Not sure yet
    Front: ID CTX-6.5CS
    Rear: ID CTX-6.5CS
    Sub: SKAR VVX 12"
    Amp: eD Nine.5

  10. #10
    NoCoSPL's Avatar
    NoCoSPL is offline A Daily Loud Trunk

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North, North
    Posts
    609
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Front wheel bearing bad??

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekimdude View Post
    That is def a bad wheel bearing, I had the samething happen not long ago.
    Hope that's all it is, just picked up the bearing for 50 bucks going to put it in tomorrow and see how that goes.



    05 Civic 2dr- (2) HDC3A15's, (2) IA 40.1s strapped at 1 ohm, (3) Kinetic 2400's, (1) Kinetic 1400, KnuConceptz wire, 200A EA alt

    TL Scores: Legal sealed 150.7 @ 41 Hz, Outlaw 152.9 in kick @ 41 hz


    My Window Flex Vids www.youtube.com/teamshakinghorizons

  11. #11
    audioatg's Avatar
    audioatg is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NJ 08080
    Posts
    1,741
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Front wheel bearing bad??

    Quote Originally Posted by NoCoSPL View Post
    slowly, and faster if I reach higher speeds. The metal on metal sound is unbelievable in the cold mornings, it goes away as I hit the interstate but the howling like I have mudders on y car never stops
    Okay just asking. Id go ahead with the bearing replacement. Sounds like you did the right test for it. I cant remember if thats a bolt in bearing or pressed in. Im thinking its pressed in.




  12. #12
    NoCoSPL's Avatar
    NoCoSPL is offline A Daily Loud Trunk

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North, North
    Posts
    609
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Front wheel bearing bad??

    Quote Originally Posted by audioatg View Post
    Okay just asking. Id go ahead with the bearing replacement. Sounds like you did the right test for it. I cant remember if thats a bolt in bearing or pressed in. Im thinking its pressed in.

    You sir are correct, pressed.



    05 Civic 2dr- (2) HDC3A15's, (2) IA 40.1s strapped at 1 ohm, (3) Kinetic 2400's, (1) Kinetic 1400, KnuConceptz wire, 200A EA alt

    TL Scores: Legal sealed 150.7 @ 41 Hz, Outlaw 152.9 in kick @ 41 hz


    My Window Flex Vids www.youtube.com/teamshakinghorizons

  13. #13
    NoCoSPL's Avatar
    NoCoSPL is offline A Daily Loud Trunk

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North, North
    Posts
    609
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Front wheel bearing bad??

    Ok so it was the wheel bearing, when It gets done hopefully its nice and quiet ride, still be quiet even with the volume up



    05 Civic 2dr- (2) HDC3A15's, (2) IA 40.1s strapped at 1 ohm, (3) Kinetic 2400's, (1) Kinetic 1400, KnuConceptz wire, 200A EA alt

    TL Scores: Legal sealed 150.7 @ 41 Hz, Outlaw 152.9 in kick @ 41 hz


    My Window Flex Vids www.youtube.com/teamshakinghorizons

  14. #14
    Rickna's Avatar
    Rickna is offline Old is Gold!



    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Front wheel bearing bad??

    Get it up on a lift of jack stands. If you can rock the wheel, it's the bearing. Bad CV joints will make a clicking or clunking noise when doing tight turns (like parking manuvers).




Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum