Closed Thread

Reload Thread: So would this vehicle be ok to buy?

TheJuggla1 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So would this vehicle be ok to buy?

I just grad high school so the vehicle I had the last year isn't that great, currently a 94 safari, now it needs front end work it won't last me till I have enough to buy a really nice 2000+ish vehicle. I was either looking to upgrade to a newer one or get a suburban for under a grand(I need a large vehicle to old my 15"s), till I can save up for a more expensive vehicle.

So I see this 1997 Safari for sale for $500, not bad but not perfect, new tranny with under 100k, but It doesn't say the total kms on it, ill have to look into that but I lost my drivers license(too many tickets for 1+ passengers grrr) so I have a month and a bit to do some work. This guy says a week or so ago it had an oil leak.

"on Friday, when i drive from work, I heard little knocking into the engine after 4 maybe 5 miles oil from engine goes out and i have end of my trip... I towed it into the driveway and that's it... probably easy to fix because I can turn on the engine, but don't work normally so it's not able to drive... maybe only oil pump is unscrew and make a hole into the oil pan when turning around and around... i don't know, I don't have time for this... "

So I think I wanna buy this and then keep my older safari for parts in case, since I just need a vehicle to last me about 8-16 months, I can most likely fix this and with parts from my older van it will be even easier, but did he damage the engine running for a bit with low oil?(by the sounds of it he started it up after he towed it back which means the oil was probably almost empty) Or will I end up fixing it down the road?

LazyRider is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: So would this vehicle be ok to buy?

I would keep the car you have now and use it for as long as possible and keep saving up for something nicer.

CobraStang98 is offline 450whp+ and 150dbs+

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyRider View Post
    I would keep the car you have now and use it for as long as possible and keep saving up for something nicer.
    x2... Usually is cheaper to fix ur current vehicle than to buy a new one.

**2005 GMC Yukon Denali XL Supercharged + Brembos**
    -- (4) 12" MMats Juggs
    -- Atomic 7000.1
    -- (2) Irraggi 300 amp Alts -- (4) Kinetik 2400s
    -- 152.9 @ 39hz --150.1 bassrace

**2003 VW Jetta 1.8t w/ mods**
    --(2) 12" DC LVL4xl
    -- AQ 3500D @ 1ohm (soon to be 2)
    --149.3 @ 44hz 146.3 bassrace

Quote Originally Posted by 169db View Post
    if you want that thunder in your trunk or to sound like you just kidnapped king kong and stuffed him in the trunk. All my windows are tinted with shatter prof plexy coated for that support ( trust you will need them) ive shatterd many resturant windows and set off alarms in side homes.

SAG3 is offline ________

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggla1 View Post
    This guy says a week or so ago it had an oil leak.

"on Friday, when i drive from work, I heard little knocking into the engine after 4 maybe 5 miles oil from engine goes out and i have end of my trip... I towed it into the driveway and that's it... probably easy to fix because I can turn on the engine, but don't work normally so it's not able to drive... maybe only oil pump is unscrew and make a hole into the oil pan when turning around and around... i don't know, I don't have time for this... "
    wtf are you serious man, you wanna buy this after what he told you? the oil pump doesn't unscrew and make a hole in the oil pan, that doesn't make sense. and if there is actually a hole in the pan its not drivable. if you're driving a car and there's no oil in it then you're pretty much gonna be guaranteed the engine is gone.

get real bu

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You guys completely missed the point, its the same vehicle for only 500 I can just use the parts from both, because my current isn't going to last long enough for a decent vehicle. I was mainly interested in using that vehicle for parts, but putting the engine it has in mine, but I wasn't sure if the lack of oil made the gears destroy each other a bit? Regardless it was already sold when I phoned them.

SAG3 is offline ________

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

were u planning to swap the engines yourself?

i been in the college program here for auto mechanics for one year and me and my friends swapped my car, i was freaking out after the first day because honestly i was unsure, and alone. if you arent sure dont even think about diy.

mr.michael is offline BOB SAGGET!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CobraStang98 View Post
    x2... Usually is cheaper to fix ur current vehicle than to buy a new one.
    x2 i do all my own work

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SAG3 View Post
    were u planning to swap the engines yourself?

i been in the college program here for auto mechanics for one year and me and my friends swapped my car, i was freaking out after the first day because honestly i was unsure, and alone. if you arent sure dont even think about diy.
    I'm only 18 and took one class in high school and just took apart my 94 to clean the gaskets doesn't seem that challenging, I will probably need my dads help putting it back together.

I found this van today

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1245224535.html

What do you guys think? Fuel injection makes it more fuel efficient correct? By how much? Does it give me more power if I put the petal to the floor? And should I buy this for 700(If all runs well, front end is perfect ect.) or try and lower the guy?

Also what if I have other options, such as getting a 97 or 98 astro for roughly the same price, would it be better to buy it, or does all the work in this van make it worth it?

skull50016 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

honestly, with all those extra parts i wouldnt trust it. If it needs a new head gasket that means its probably blown and wont run well, that means you need to buy a new one, those are realy expesive. Probably more than fixing up your safari. Even then sure fuel injection is nice but it doesnt do to much for fuel economy, and it will give you better acceleration, but dude you would be driving a van, it doesnt matter those things wont go fast. In my opinion i would say go as stock as possible, with all the extra parts that means something went wrong, if something went wrong its likely to happen again. so i say NO GO!!

Louisiana_CRX is online now dem shoes......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

keep what you got

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3
    StreetBeat 2................... 145.6
    Stock 1801-up.................153.8
    SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2
    Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

eutechnyx is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

keep what you have,whats the point in buying another van with a blown engine?If you want the interior or something just hit the junkyards im sure youll find everything you need for yours.

If its too loud,You're Too Old!

Refs BassaddictJ,Dron178,galacticmonkey,audiophile831.

budahbuddy803 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggla1 View Post
    I just grad high school so the vehicle I had the last year isn't that great, currently a 94 safari, now it needs front end work it won't last me till I have enough to buy a really nice 2000+ish vehicle. I was either looking to upgrade to a newer one or get a suburban for under a grand(I need a large vehicle to old my 15"s), till I can save up for a more expensive vehicle.

So I see this 1997 Safari for sale for $500, not bad but not perfect, new tranny with under 100k, but It doesn't say the total kms on it, ill have to look into that but I lost my drivers license(too many tickets for 1+ passengers grrr) so I have a month and a bit to do some work. This guy says a week or so ago it had an oil leak.

So I think I wanna buy this and then keep my older safari for parts in case, since I just need a vehicle to last me about 8-16 months, I can most likely fix this and with parts from my older van it will be even easier, but did he damage the engine running for a bit with low oil?(by the sounds of it he started it up after he towed it back which means the oil was probably almost empty) Or will I end up fixing it down the road?
    I had a suby wagon a couple years ago. The low oil light never came up and when i noticed knocking i immediately added oil, well actually just went ahead and "changed" the oil and oil filter. There was no coming back. The car ran but sounded AWFUL and i dont think i was going to run for long. I would not buy that car.

eutechnyx is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Once the bearings and all internals are starved of oil damage WILL occur and the motor will be looking at a complete rebuild soon if there is no block damage by the time you get it.If there is any scarring or block damage visible then youre looking at an entirely new motor.

If its too loud,You're Too Old!

Refs BassaddictJ,Dron178,galacticmonkey,audiophile831.

Closed Thread