Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 95 Sable Wagon Stalling

DonCorleone is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

95 Sable Wagon Stalling

I have a 95 Mercury Sable Wagon with the 3.8L that I bought used with over 200k miles on it. The car starts and then stalls once it reaches operating temperature. After the car stalls it wont start again until it cools down. After it stalls there is no spark. It has all new plugs and plug wires. Also, when it is running and you close the hood the engine sputters and sounds like it is going to die. Can anyone shed some light on what my problem may be? Thanks.

87linkin is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 95 Sable Wagon Stalling

iac sensor

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As in Idler Air Control? The sensor or the actual valve itself?

ThatChevyGuy is offline i heart Jager

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

you better hope thats what it is, and not lack of compression....

REFS:
    Squeak9798, Kumbos310w6, BigBangTheory, Jmanpc, MillzThaYungin, WLDock, -Leister-, ThomasG, J31Rob (and a few more I have forgotten)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Monkey View Post
    eat my asshole you insignificant bastard child of a retarded dingleberry cunt wrinkle fuck toy
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    her pussy better be that nicest pussy you ever ever ever had. she better suck, swallow, jack off, eat ass and snatch, make sammiwich, do yard work and fix the vehicals while nude. Because a bitch like that is definately gonna cause alot of stress in your life, even thou she keeps your wallet and your balls drained.
    Quote Originally Posted by 05fronty View Post
    bitch you better swallow and not make a mess

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, the IAC was replaced before I bought the car about 3 months ago. Whatever it is, when it happens it shuts down the ignition system because after it stalls there wont be any spark.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Replaced the ignition coil and the ignition control module, no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jdawg is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

take it to autostone and get codes checked? Its a sable, what do you expect?

refs
    woc47, nigro013, defconx3, louisiana_crx, bld 25, supa_c, lancer1978, sxkicker89, 310w6, more, i forget

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdawg View Post
    take it to autostone and get codes checked? Its a sable, what do you expect?
    The check engine light doesnt come on, thus the computer wont store and error code if it doesnt know that
    something is wrong. My next guess is the crank position sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
    The check engine light doesnt come on, thus the computer wont store and error code if it doesnt know that
    something is wrong. My next guess is the crank position sensor.
    just because the light isnt on doesnt mean there aernt codes, you really ned to get it scanned. Just throwing parts at it you will spend a bunch of money. It could be anything. Usaully when a crank sensor goes bad the car wont start at all.

edit- the check engine light moreso reflects emissions problems anyways

refs
    woc47, nigro013, defconx3, louisiana_crx, bld 25, supa_c, lancer1978, sxkicker89, 310w6, more, i forget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

how do you know it doesnt have spark after its warm? What diagnostics did you do? Do you have the orgional cat on it?

refs

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdawg View Post
    how do you know it doesnt have spark after its warm? What diagnostics did you do? Do you have the orgional cat on it?
    After the car stalls I put a spark tester on and tried turning it over, nothing. The spark tester is confirmed working. The original cat is on it.

95BlackGA is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get a compression test done. You can sometimes borrow(or rent) the test kits from O'Reillys' or Autozone's. It's an older car, so a vacuum leak is likely, especially if you shut the hood, and it sputters. There are several methods to checking for vacuum leaks. Check the EGR Valve, and PCV valve. The EGR valve you can get for around $50-$70, and the PCV valve will only cost around $5.

Sold To - Ku-Sama - Benilson09 X2 - Vitveet - Max_Power X2 - xfeat - DaveT - uglydimple12 - pickup1 - EnvEe 02 - blackbonnie - lightningbolt44 - Louisiana_CRX X2 - audiobahnuser18 - NoPh33rRaCiNg - profoundwill - Scoobydoo - joe98chevy - theMessenja44
    Traded With - Rich00 - fwb_1234 - SPL140.2 - Six501 - Scoobydoo
    Bought From - RoLLaxPhile - SPL140.2 X2 - Randy Savage - Johnny Law.Lulz

R.I.P Uncle Scot, you'll be missed. 8/22/08 We love you, bud.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 95BlackGA View Post
    Get a compression test done. You can sometimes borrow(or rent) the test kits from O'Reillys' or Autozone's. It's an older car, so a vacuum leak is likely, especially if you shut the hood, and it sputters. There are several methods to checking for vacuum leaks. Check the EGR Valve, and PCV valve. The EGR valve you can get for around $50-$70, and the PCV valve will only cost around $5.
    If there was a vacuum leak there would still be spark after the car stalled, after the car stalls there is NO SPARK.

audioatg is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Check to see If you have injector pulse as well. No Spark NO injector pulse. Do you have a rpm gauge if so. Is that moving like going up in rpms when you are trying to crank it. Possible crank sensor bad. If no signal from that you wont get any spark. Possible computer went on it. Seen alot of computers good in fords.... Also Yes you can have codes with out a check engine light on. Your ford has. Key on engine off codes. Key on engine running codes. Pending codes. Memory codes. Some codes just dont set a MIL request. SO yes you can have codes. And Im sure you do have codes. Another things. Back probe the 5 volt reference wire on anything really MAF senor. IAC they all have the 5 volt reference wire to them. Check and see that you DO have this voltage.

Uggg what else. Check them out see what happens still take it to a shop get the codes checked out. My guess a bad crank sensor or pcm.

Edit I think Im off on what Codes like KOER KOEO. But Im sure you still have codes. Some codes need the ignition cycles drive cycle to even set. You cant get vehicle to run so you might not have yet got to that point for them to set the MIL light on but you still have the codes.
    Last edited by audioatg; 12-14-2008 at 09:00 PM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got it figured out, bad distributor. Car runs fine now. Thanks for everyones help.

Closed Thread