Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Check your COOLANT/ANTIFREEZE often

Raffi is offline Bring our TROOPS HOME!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Check your COOLANT/ANTIFREEZE often

1st thing I am not a mechanic or play one on TV. My radiator had a crack and slow leak(did not know about it) and finally exploded this weekend. I put in a new radiator(proud of my self) with new 50/50 cooloant/antifreeze and now my AC and heater work perfectly. The Ac compressor would go off after 5-10 minutes then blow warm air.. I guess not having enough coolant did not let the AC work like it should........... Moral of the story is check your coolant/antifreeze to make sure its not old and has enough..LESSON LEARNED.... :p

PS...
    Not to mention you engine could blow.

I Love This country

TylerBD12 is offline BTL is teh secksiness

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Check your COOLANT/ANTIFREEZE often

yeah i just found out mine has a leak in it somewhere...

Blazers are POS by the way.

2000 Chevy Blazer

No more BTL

Refs: BjFish11, Iamamp3pimp, Fi Car Audio, Cameron_B

Quote Originally Posted by mprintz View Post
    let all the haters know that volfenhag isnt a ****** sub, i knock pictures off walls *****es!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TylerBD12 View Post
    yeah i just found out mine has a leak in it somewhere...

Blazers are POS by the way.

Take care of it b4 its too late................

I Love This country

Pop da Hatch is offline Can haz?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Yes check all - filters, coolants, wires, blades, tires, etc at the change of your oil

clbolt is offline I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I check the level of my coolant a couple of times a week, I flush and fill the cooling system once a year.

My Toyota has 352k miles on it as of today, and my next goal is a half-million.

Ferendon is offline Proabbly drukn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

TrickyTransam is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi View Post
    The Ac compressor would go off after 5-10 minutes then blow warm air.. I guess not having enough coolant did not let the AC work like it should........... Moral of the story is check your coolant/antifreeze to make sure its not old and has enough..LESSON LEARNED.... :p
    EH?

The AC system is independant of your engine coolant system. (Unless you drive a Ford and the condenser is integrated into the radiator)
    Low radiator coolant should have no effect on AC operation other than overriding the secondary AC fan, if equipped.
    The Cycling of the AC compressor is normal, unless it's doing a constant cyclic action. Constant cycling generally means too high of AC line pressure - meaning you overfilled your R134A refrigerant, and the BCM is not allowing the compressor to kick in so your AC lines don't blow up in your face.
    If you had your AC on, and your compressor cycled for about 2 seconds then shut off for a while, you may have Low refrigerant.

The only way it would affect your AC performance is if the radiator got SO hot that it couldn't cool the refrigerant in the condenser - which is in Front of the radiator.
    By then your baking head gaskets, intake gaskets..etc etc.

Use Prestone All Make All models. Drain and Flush that DexCool Crap from your radiator as soon as you get it home. It's just trouble for all of your seals.

S Trucks have always been the Economy version of Gm's truck lineup.
    Just keep the coolant flushed.... because if your heater core goes bad, it's about a $800 job to replace it.

J31Rob is offline CarTune Netwerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

Damn.

Never knew to check my fluids..

the FUNK / facebook.com/The.Funk.765
    CarTune Netwerk / facebook.com/cartune.netwerk0

Alpine / Sundown Audio / Sound Solutions Audio
    Audio Technix / CT Sounds / Execution Audio

themommyvan is offline Special Olympics winner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyTransam View Post
    EH?

The AC system is independant of your engine coolant system. (Unless you drive a Ford and the condenser is integrated into the radiator)
    Low radiator coolant should have no effect on AC operation other than overriding the secondary AC fan, if equipped.
    The Cycling of the AC compressor is normal, unless it's doing a constant cyclic action. Constant cycling generally means too high of AC line pressure - meaning you overfilled your R134A refrigerant, and the BCM is not allowing the compressor to kick in so your AC lines don't blow up in your face.
    If you had your AC on, and your compressor cycled for about 2 seconds then shut off for a while, you may have Low refrigerant.

The only way it would affect your AC performance is if the radiator got SO hot that it couldn't cool the refrigerant in the condenser - which is in Front of the radiator.

Use Prestone All Make All models. Drain and Flush that DexCool Crap from your radiator as soon as you get it home. It's just trouble for all of your seals.

Just keep the coolant flushed.... because if your heater core goes bad, it's about a $800 job to replace it.
    The condenser isnt part of the radiator on a ford.Constant cycling isnt normal. If there is to much pressure in the lines they will blow regardless wether the pump is cycling or not.

refs: silver02alty,gordos420,hc3_cuz,bad @SS chevy ,Wkbdkid,Kingdell91,Lax916,Viveet,hoodkid, skilla22,profundus-sanus, Rashaddd,99grandprixGT,BigPimpin91 .More I cant remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenics View Post
    What you're getting with a ca.com poll is a consensus from a large number of wealthy, attractive, successful young men -- who are morally and ethically dignified.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTs MothernLaw View Post
    MoT likes it when I **** him with the strap on.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The compressor would just shut off ( no cycling) and not come back on and blow constant warm air.....Now it works perfectly after putting in the NEW radiator with new coolant. Must have something to do with it.
    Last edited by Raffi; 12-26-2007 at 02:19 PM.

I Love This country

Ferendon is offline Proabbly drukn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyTransam View Post
    EH?

Way to generalize homey. Not all Ford's have the condenser built into the radiator, and not only Ford did that. My wife's Nissan has the condenser built into the radiator, and in my Ford, it's in front of the radiator. DexCool is not trouble for the seals in GM motors, as they are designed for it.... Unless... You start topping off with other coolants, and break down the chemical integrity of it. I don't like DexCool, but when the car comes with it, you'd have to get it out of there quickly, before it has time to saturate. Changing fluid types is one of the best ways to cause leaks and breakage, regardless of what fluid it is.

Closed Thread

User Tag List