Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: How Much Should A Limited Slip Clunk?

Alpine CDA-9815 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How Much Should A Limited Slip Clunk?

In the last 6 months my rear end has got quite loud. I know with a limited slip it will will clunk and whine... but how much should it? I know of 3 other buds of mine with the same issue, they say it's normal but their cars are not near as bad as mine.

It has always whined and clunked from the factory. Though since we installed the stage 5 tranny it has gotten worse and worse. The worst is usually when I go slow and turning hard. It will clunk and jerk everytime the driveshaft makes a full spin. It now also clunks and whines bad when I take my foot off the gas going 40+ MPH. Then the whine from 38-42MPH has gotten twice as loud.

I changed the rear end fluid after getting 500 miles on the car to Royal Purple. I even added about an ounce of GM limited slip even though RP says it's not needed.

I don't really have a lot of money to fix it and I don't want to pay to have someone look at it unless I have to, or start replacing parts that are not needed. The shop I usually go to just says not to worry about it... but they are lazy and just don't want to look at it. Other shops think it could be the clutch packs or it could be something wrong with my rear cradle.

I'm wanting to take this thing to the track, I have not in over a year. The best I have done so far is 12.00 @ 115mph with a 1.9 60'. Since then I've added almost a full suspension, the stage 5 trans, electric water pump and nitrous (150-175 shot). I don't really abuse the car and I have gone through only one 10lb bottle of nitrous since I have gotten it @ 150 shot.

Alpine CDA-9887 | CDT EF-61CF's | 12" Diamond Audio TDX | Diamond Audio D5 1200.1| Diamond Audio D5 600.4| KnuKonceptz Wiring
    Refs (sold to): Pitchblack98 | phyphoestilic | str8cyko | rotciv005 | gixxer9 |
    Refs (bought from): xreymax | denali804 | BLD_25 |

azbass is offline the salty ca.com mod

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: How Much Should A Limited Slip Clunk?

I dare you to take it to a dealership..

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azbass View Post
    I dare you to take it to a dealership..
    I could do that. I do have some connections down there, they have already done warranty work they did not have to do for me already. Though I don't know any managers at any dealers anymore. So the guy that I would go through would have to get the work passed by his manager befor he could do it... I don't think that would go too well lol.

Alpine CDA-9887 | CDT EF-61CF's | 12" Diamond Audio TDX | Diamond Audio D5 1200.1| Diamond Audio D5 600.4| KnuKonceptz Wiring

Silver is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

That is NOT normal even from the factory. Get it replaced before it really puts you at the side of the road.

I dunno how loud it is, but the radio should be up a little more than 1/4 and driving at 45mph. If you can still hear whinning def get a new one.

Getrag rear end? If so, the dealership would not hesitate 1 bit to replace that. They blow left and right. Last week I did 3 getrags in Cadillac CTS's. I did one in a V, but that was due to nitrus snapping halfshaft and pinion cracking.

The clunking when your turning is spider gears. The clunking when your slowing from 40 is your pinion gear contacting the final drive gears.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14041_2.gif
    07 Jeep GC - Viper reps / afe stage 2 / chipped / h&r lowering springs

Stock stereo

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    That is NOT normal even from the factory. Get it replaced before it really puts you at the side of the road.

I dunno how loud it is, but the radio should be up a little more than 1/4 and driving at 45mph. If you can still hear whinning def get a new one.

Getrag rear end? If so, the dealership would not hesitate 1 bit to replace that. They blow left and right. Last week I did 3 getrags in Cadillac CTS's. I did one in a V, but that was due to nitrus snapping halfshaft and pinion cracking.

The clunking when your turning is spider gears. The clunking when your slowing from 40 is your pinion gear contacting the final drive gears.
    Can't rememeber if it's a getrag or not, the shop said something about that but didn't say if it was for sure or not.

If you think the dealer will replace it even with my mods I'll give that a shot. There are a few small aftermarket parts I would want installed, I'm sure if I bought them they would use them instead of the OEM parts?

jonnybusa is offline 200mph club...turbo busa

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well, from the factory its not normal. Now, depending on the aftermarket one you installed, they make minimal noises....nothing real noticeable though. Sounds like somethings off. I have a full locking detroit locker, which bangs, clunks, and chirps going around corners, etc, but a limited slip is supposed to be stock-like.

silver02alty, AgEnT, chaarlieee, shynegrynd07,QtrHorse, Dumple, Mike Dressure, southstylestang, j3bus2k3, dkmesa, RipDaJacka, audiobahnuser18, BAD_MAYHEM, Famous_78,nismos14, shallowfu, CRAZYCORNUTS18, jmanpc, Supergumby5000, Apoc, pioneer pimp, JLa Obsessed, urlost, Hustler904, cha0, fattony911,
    David706, EnvEe 02, 93 saturn sl2, jblanford, pickup1, tez4life, blackbonnie, oxsign, sxkicker89, revots, robertspangler

Kenwood flip out 7" t.s HU . Sirius + sony XE744 dancing EQ, mb quart "Q" series 6.5"comps,
    kicker kx350.4 amp, optima yellowtop
    autotek mm3000.1, 0 ga wire
    1 RE Audio XXX 15 in 4.5 cu ported box I BUILT
    big 3 (1/0 wire)...deadener
    148 db on new tl

jdawg is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

Limited slip shouldnt make any noise. If it is then you have problems. If you dont use the addative it will make noise but I see you are so you have problems.

refs
    woc47, nigro013, defconx3, louisiana_crx, bld 25, supa_c, lancer1978, sxkicker89, 310w6, more, i forget

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I will call the guy at the dealer today or tomorrow and see what he can do for me. There are a few TSB's about a rear ends now that I look into it. I really don't see how the dealer can deny the warrant work when it's this bad, even with my mods. It's my DD, I don't abuse it and if they think I do they gotta prove that my mods or abusing caused the rear end to be the way it is.

Though if they are ***** about it a bud of mine has a whole rear end I could grab for a few hundred bucks and swap it out in an hour.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Called the dealership I normally go to. I was told they are no longer allowed to work on any vehicles but Chevy's (since that is only what they sell) unless you bought a used vehicle from them? So now I have to find a new dealer to go to.

Also I decided I would try to change the fluid from Royal Purple to GM stuff with the limited slip additive. The rear is noisier than ever and grinds now.... what a waste of $75.

Ferendon is offline Proabbly drukn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Time for a steep Cusco.

dbhittin is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.5ways and 2ways make clunking noises.. stock lsd's dont.. 2ways is basically fully locked.. i had one before and a welded diff.. mine both hummed.. but ya a stock lsd shouldn't make any noise

Ferendon is offline Proabbly drukn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A stock LSD probably isn't going to hold that level of power either.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just gotta find a good dealership to go to, that will not be easy.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well I called one a few local guys suggested and the car is going in on Sat at 10am. I told them about the aftermarket cam and exhaust, they said that will not be a factor ATM and that will be decided on when they inspect the car.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

GM replaced my rear diff.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List