Closed Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Reload Thread: ATTN: Nissan gurus and car performance gurus

  1. #1
    yne721's Avatar
    yne721 is offline SWINE FLU!!!!



    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Maui/Detroit
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    ATTN: Nissan gurus and car performance gurus

    ok quick summary...

    i bought this car from a friend of my dads. $2000 with 132k miles...

    turns out cylinders 3 and 5 are getting zero compression, and he did not know about it. he offered to help me pay to get it fixed in return because he feels really bad.

    so after about a month of checking ebay, local junkyards and car-parts.com i cannot find a motor to do a swap with, so a buddy of mine knows a guy that owns a shop and he said he'll "hook me up" with a decent price on a COMPLETE rebuild.

    quoted at 2500 to 3000 dollars...

    now the question is, my buddy suggested since i'm already having them take apart the engine and everything, i should just have him bore it out an extra 20 and just order all the new parts based on the new bore, not the stock bore, because he would probably only charge like an extra 200 since he's getting all new parts anyway...

    do you think it's worth it? he said i'd notice a huge difference in performance, and if i pass up on it, then later on decide that i want to do it, i'll just get charged up the *** in labor for something i could've had done while it was all apart?

    also, does that sound like a decent price on a complete rebuild with 100k mile warranty? especially assuming i'd only be paying about 1k to 1.5k depending on the final price? i can probably get the seller to put 1.5k towards whatever i do..



    Давайте познакомимся





  2. #2
    Prowler573's Avatar
    Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!



    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Northwest Louisiana
    Age
    40
    Posts
    18,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: ATTN: Nissan gurus and car performance gurus

    IMO $2K to $3K for a complete teardown and rebuild is reasonable. This is assuming two things, though:
    (a) The process includes removal and replacement of the engine as part of the labor agreement.
    (b) Your friend really knows what he's doing and isn't some half-assed shadetree mechanic who isn't much more than a "parts-changer" as I like to call mechanics who know nothing about auto mechanics.



    Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]



  3. #3
    yne721's Avatar
    yne721 is offline SWINE FLU!!!!

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Maui/Detroit
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: ATTN: Nissan gurus and car performance gurus

    Quote Originally Posted by Prowler573 View Post
    IMO $2K to $3K for a complete teardown and rebuild is reasonable. This is assuming two things, though:
    (a) The process includes removal and replacement of the engine as part of the labor agreement.
    (b) Your friend really knows what he's doing and isn't some half-assed shadetree mechanic who isn't much more than a "parts-changer" as I like to call mechanics who know nothing about auto mechanics.
    a. yes it does.
    b. he's certified as a master mechanic through asc(ase, i don't know people say it so fast i can never hear which letter it is lol)



    Давайте познакомимся


  4. #4
    Prowler573's Avatar
    Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!



    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Northwest Louisiana
    Age
    40
    Posts
    18,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: ATTN: Nissan gurus and car performance gurus

    Quote Originally Posted by yne721 View Post
    a. yes it does.
    b. he's certified as a master mechanic through asc(ase, i don't know people say it so fast i can never hear which letter it is lol)
    Then I'd have to say full steam ahead!
    It's ASE, by the way, the certification given out by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence.
    If my memory isn't failing you can either get general certs for Master Mechanic (like your buddy, obviously) or system-specific certs like brakes, A/C, etc.


    Edit:
    And 100K mile warranty on a reman engine, assuming the friend will stand behind that, is pretty freggin amazing.



    Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]



  5. #5
    yne721's Avatar
    yne721 is offline SWINE FLU!!!!

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Maui/Detroit
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: ATTN: Nissan gurus and car performance gurus

    Quote Originally Posted by Prowler573 View Post
    Then I'd have to say full steam ahead!
    It's ASE, by the way, the certification given out by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence.
    If my memory isn't failing you can either get general certs for Master Mechanic (like your buddy, obviously) or system-specific certs like brakes, A/C, etc.


    Edit:
    And 100K mile warranty on a reman engine, assuming the friend will stand behind that, is pretty freggin amazing.
    yeah i got lucky. here's how the conversation between jeff(my buddy) and isaac(the mechanic) went.


    he was on the phone that's why only jeff is talking...

    j: hey it's jeff, i got a buddy with an 87 Z that needs a rebuild, how much?
    j: ok well he's a really good friend of mine can you go lower?
    j: his dad is the union rep, so if you do a really good job at a low price, his dad will tell everyone to come to you for anything they need, but he'll say a higher price so you don't have to keep doing it for cheap
    j: no, non turbo
    j: ok thanks man

    so basically i got lucky that my dad holds power over peoples jobs lol



    Давайте познакомимся


  6. #6
    Prowler573's Avatar
    Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!



    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Northwest Louisiana
    Age
    40
    Posts
    18,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: ATTN: Nissan gurus and car performance gurus

    Quote Originally Posted by yne721 View Post
    yeah i got lucky. here's how the conversation between jeff(my buddy) and isaac(the mechanic) went.


    he was on the phone that's why only jeff is talking...

    j: hey it's jeff, i got a buddy with an 87 Z that needs a rebuild, how much?
    j: ok well he's a really good friend of mine can you go lower?
    j: his dad is the union rep, so if you do a really good job at a low price, his dad will tell everyone to come to you for anything they need, but he'll say a higher price so you don't have to keep doing it for cheap
    j: no, non turbo
    j: ok thanks man

    so basically i got lucky that my dad holds power over peoples jobs lol
    In some situations it truly is moreso who you know rather than what you know. It's handy when you're on the right end of that. Sux when you aren't.



    Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]



  7. #7
    yne721's Avatar
    yne721 is offline SWINE FLU!!!!

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Maui/Detroit
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: ATTN: Nissan gurus and car performance gurus

    Quote Originally Posted by Prowler573 View Post
    In some situations it truly is moreso who you know rather than what you know. It's handy when you're on the right end of that. Sux when you aren't.
    like the old saying goes

    it's not what you know it's who you know, and it's not who you know it's who you blow



    Давайте познакомимся


  8. #8
    yne721's Avatar
    yne721 is offline SWINE FLU!!!!

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Maui/Detroit
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: ATTN: Nissan gurus and car performance gurus

    bump before i go to work just for some more opinions



    Давайте познакомимся


  9. #9
    azbass's Avatar
    azbass is offline the salty ca.com mod



    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    34,922
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: ATTN: Nissan gurus and car performance gurus

    contact jmac iirc he knows nissan cars real well




  10. #10
    yne721's Avatar
    yne721 is offline SWINE FLU!!!!

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Maui/Detroit
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: ATTN: Nissan gurus and car performance gurus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Well, if I were doing an engine swap, I wouldn't swap in another VG30E ...

    Overall, though, the price seems reasonable ...

    Then again, as the old saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true, you're probably going to get raped in the *** ...
    i was trying to find a VG30ET but i couldn't locate one anywhere near me. so even if i paid 700 for one, then paid 200 on shipping, then paid labor to get it swapped in and out, it'd be a little under 2k, plus i'd still have to fine tune it and all. and in the end, it would still be a used motor and who knows what would happen when you know?

    as for other motors, i want to keep it nissan. and not go and drop like a 350 in it or something lol. some guy i work with keeps telling me "we'll put a 350 in it, with a huge as blower, you'll be doing wheelies man" and i'm just like "uh you're dumb?" lol

    but everyone keeps telling me this price is reasonable. and if it sounds reasonable, i'm probably not getting raped in the ***. now if everyone was like "HOLY **** THAT'S IT?!??!" then i'd be a little worried. i don't know i guess we'll find out.

    edit: thanks for bumping my thread. right after i made it i realized i should've put it in here but never asked lol



    Давайте познакомимся


  11. #11
    joebangaa's Avatar
    joebangaa is offline Member



    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    the OC and Silicon Valley
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: ATTN: Nissan gurus and car performance gurus

    get rid of it, just get a z32... believe me....




  12. #12
    Coonhound's Avatar
    Coonhound is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pegram , Tn
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: ATTN: Nissan gurus and car performance gurus

    Tp rebild that engine would be half that much around here anywhere .




Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum