Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: pros/cons, tips, and advice for sticks please:)

azbass is offline the salty ca.com mod

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: pros/cons, tips, and advice for sticks please:)

it is? interesting.

LoudCrownVic is offline 1/1 of Team Team Team

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    I'm not too sure of the reasons why, but I can tell you that if you learn to do it now and you have a graduated licensing program, you'll fail your test for sure ... One of my ex-GFs failed her Novice test the first time because she did that ...

Besides that, cruising down a hill in Neutral and 100% relying on your brakes is retarded ... If you allow the resistance of your engine to slow you down, you'll save your brakes heavily, which is one of the main advantages to having a manual transmission ... The other advantages, of course, being that it's more efficient, so you get better fuel efficiency and power, having better control over the car, they're usually much more reliable than automatics, and they weigh less.
    OIC... I let it in neutral occcasionally while rolling slowly into my turn off, then shift into the gear I need when I need it. To save the clutch or something.

And... S10's cant be that bad.

I com to lern bout car awww-deeeee-ohhhhhs!
    Truck: 1998 Ford Ranger SC 2.5L 4 cyl 5 spd
    Mods- 195/60R15 Cooper Cobra Tires on stock rims
    System: HU- Eclipse CD8454, 2 Dayton RS180 7" midbass, Optimus 3" Horn Tweets hotglued to the dash, 3 12" JL W6v1's downfiring sealed, PPI PCX2200 @ 4 ohms, Alpine MRV-F545 mids and highs, 2 layers of Raamat on the doors.
    What's in Store:
    2 more Dayton RS180 7" midbass, 2 Bolender Grabender Neo planar tweets

Worlddre is offline Big Darkie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LoudCrownVic View Post
    OIC... I let it in neutral occcasionally while rolling slowly into my turn off, then shift into the gear I need when I need it. To save the clutch or something.

And... S10's cant be that bad.
    i do the same thing on occasion had no clue it was illegal

"humility in the face of overwhelming genius will obviously amount to hypocrisy"

atoz350 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Correction... Cruising in Neutral is only illegal when applied to automatics. Its perfectly fine for a stick. The reason is that an automatic has control of its dynamics when it is in drive. When it is in neutral, is has no control...ie. it releases engine braking and differential locking as well as some vehicle speed sensors which disables airbags.

Current System:| Alpine CVA-1005|Audiocontrol DQXS Active Crossover|Soundstream TRA880.5 5 channel|
    |Scan Speak D2904/6000 tweeters (Alpine Version)|Usher 8137A 8" Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Woofer|1 Alpine Type-E 10"|

Rebuilding...
    Refs: Sold to:amedeuce

phyphoestilic is offline Liquid Fire...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

clutch > u
    lol

Lexus LS400 Setup
    Eclipse CD7000 (Running Active)
    Image Dynamic OEM CX64s
    Image Dynamics NX30 Tweeters
    US Acoustic USF600 x2, USF800 x2 (Zed Audio )
    150ft+ of Rammat
    IDMax12 1.5cft. I need to cut for IB
    25 feet 1/0 Stinger Expert, 15 feet 4 Stinger Pro
    Stinger Dream Series, Knu Konceptz Krystal Series RCAs

Ref: (Bought From)Renegadesrun, IonSQL, CrazyJoker2, Alpine CDA-9815 , FI Car Audio, yournumber1dan , B_Campbell, jacobcopeland87, mike dressure x2, James_Bang, blue200sx
    (Traded w/) Iceteebone, sxkicker89
    (Sold To): James_Bang, timbo12, gsxrjjordan
    Ebay: PhyPhoestilic (100%)

bigbangtheory is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dont know if this is true, but someone once told me that when your in a slide that it is better to have stick because you just put it in Nuetrel and it will stop the axel from spinning. When you do it in the auto the axel's still spin. Just something I remembered.

I perfer stick as well and have only owend a couple automobiles in automatic and have had close to 20 vechichles, lol! You get more control and just is more fun. Yes sometimes it is a pain in traffic, but to be honest I dont even notice most of the time. It is just like blinking to me anymore. You do it, but dont relize it.

I agree with JMAC though. Get a friend who is willing to be nice enough to let you learn to drive stick. Just dont burn up his clutch though, lol! Practice makes perfect and take your time and just pay attention. Eventually it will come to you and you wont even notice its stick.

Refs~Max Power(ST), bnevets27(ST), 99oldsintrigue(ST), matrxx dude(BF), Ficaraudio(BF), Zachzchw(BF), tigerf117(ST), 5.7TBI(BF), DBfan187(ST), Joesph M(ST), 97gp(ST), Cornbreadxd(ST), SlappinX(ST), nycspudz03(ST), bl0ckd(BF), Sctattooer(ST), hitman34608(ST), Wackdogg(ST), ggk(ST), 03F150MrSBF(STx2), Dye4metal(ST), Mikey7182(BF), Wu501(BF), Twisted_0912(BF), Crunklech(BF), psychoacoustics(BF), Tyler Chavez(ST), GTO Dave(ST), Thisistiny(ST), DarkScorpin(BF), davidtemple(BF), BassaddictJ(BF), Geoff_off_me(BF), Dragnix(BF)

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

saywhat? is offline satx120, jealous?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by espguitarist91 View Post
    Yea, theres a lot I dont understand right now(ie. heel and toe, downshifting, hills, etc.) I think with time it should become clear. I have no one to teach me or any car to practice on, so i hope i dont ruin the clutch if i end up getting one.
    up hills isnt all that hard, its like driving normal. Its not that hard to drive, just gets old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbangtheory View Post
    I dont know if this is true, but someone once told me that when your in a slide that it is better to have stick because you just put it in Nuetrel and it will stop the axel from spinning. When you do it in the auto the axel's still spin. Just something I remembered.
    I have never seen a real drifting car that was an automatic.

And it will come naturally, either your gonna like a manual or not, never know till you drive one everyday.

TRAFFIC SUX WITH A STICK

Quote Originally Posted by xploit2 View Post
    OneKrazyKeebler BEST AVATAR EVER!! OWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    Refs:
    so long ago, they dont effin count anymore, get over it

phantom240 is offline ALL YOUR INTERNETZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stick > Auto in every way except traffic, big hills (uphill that is), and multitasking.

Ive never owned an auto. I love driving myc ars, as theyre light imports with pep enough to satisfy the inner andretti.... As far as tips... well... dont get too excited about better mileage from a stick... in order to do that you have to drive like a ninny and shift at like 1600rpm in order not to burn gas... and driving a stick just makes u wanna redline it on every shift jsut to hear your motor roar. My friends think im insane when i drive though, cuz i can multitask better than any of em. For instance, one time my friend david was riding with me in traffic, and i was smoking a cigarette, holding my drink, and driving a stick through traffic... it gets a bit crazy, but its not hard, so long as you keep your focus on the road and not your other tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by 18lexusowner View Post
    If your not a liberal cockbag than it's funny.
    Refs: Lostsoul, DaGh0st, Jadeaudio, mhschiefs806, revrider1, GavinVoy, maximpakt

heyman421 is offline Veteran Camel Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LoudCrownVic View Post
    Why?

And omg i didn't know that.
    you're legally not in control of the vehicle any time it's in neutral.

it's for accident avoidance. if you were coasting in neutral, and a situation presented itself where you needed to move out of the way of a collision, and you couldn't do it, because your car wasn't in gear, it's legally YOUR fault.

and that's correct that placing it in neutral IS the correct way to coast (although illegal) because keeping the clutch disengaged wears out the throw out bearings and pressure plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Agreed. i wore out the TO and/or my pressure plate in my acura legend about 2 years ago. Thats not fun at all.. i learned not to keep it in gear at a light with the clutch engaged. I always did that cuz it would cut down in the time i had to take to push the clutch in, put it in gear and then take off...

Refs: Lostsoul, DaGh0st, Jadeaudio, mhschiefs806, revrider1, GavinVoy, maximpakt

dleccord is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

dont know if someone has mentioned this but you cant eat while driving in the street, unless traffic aint stopping.

REFS
    blackgeltabs, theCybe(2x), xplcitcustmz, mabel4life, bumpn_gt , PENER, BLD 25, j3bus2k3(3x) , PRIVATEpastry, guy022077(3x), alpine3612, 03tibgt, rocky 59, mattmcss, yotabeater,pepsican, iceteebone(2x), sfsloop @ mac. com, vincemarq, maldecido33, dalucifer, BassAddictJ, thakidgame, Scoobydoo, marcusb419er, nVRuckus, frkkevin, killahbean, CBFryman2, Zeuslicious(2x), bizzy07, expo5.0, dragonrage, 1loudsuv, nismos14, James Bang, mtlhead, Rsx_03, thaster, teamsubgopoof, CRAZYCORNUTS18, ggk, Colt9699(2x), thangalang, BloodStalker999, dwaynem, chaunb3400, volstitan908, blackbonnie, Fast1one, nineball, rbiele126, JayRich, Al_Capowned, runwitbass

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

...1600rpm is weaksauce for my car. It redlines at 7500... 1600 isnt even breathing on the powerband

bibby is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You'll learn to drive with a knee to free up a hand. I drove a stick for 1.5 years, then went to an auto, and regretted it from about the 3rd week. I just recently went back to a stick about a year ago. Also, a car is a helluva lot different that a truck. You can lean harder in an auto which is nice, but the feel of shifting your gears, and going around curves, and not using your brake, but using your motor is a great sensation.

Couple things to look at are. For one, in an auto, your tranny will eventually go out. With a stick, the most you'll ever have to do is a clutch. For two, you will save on your brakes aswell. Once you get the hang of it, you will stop by gearing down as opposed to using your brakes. You will have to use your brakes too, but not near as much. I'd say 70% Motor, 30% brakes is how i use mine. Also the little increase in mpg's these days are worth it. Go will the stick man. You'll love it.

If you are viewing my profile from SMD, FSC, or d-series.org, then this is the thread with my refs...
    Refs: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231239

xluben is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah, i like driving a stick, but it ***** in traffic!!!!!

sorry to thread jack, but i was wondering if anyone could give me insight on when i should be shifting for normal driving?

i have a 99 honda accord I4 2.3L with a manual transmission. is 2-3K good?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast