Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Starting Up

blackhawk is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Starting Up

Alright, I'm sure the people that follow every thread will start thinking I got a lemon, but I doubt it's the case. Since I got my car a month and a half ago, it's had problems starting. I'll turn it over, but sometimes when it sounds like it's started it just stops. And when it does turn over it doesn't always sound very healthy. Would the problem be the starter, or the original battery still being in a 2000 car, like my dad says? I'd love for it to be a simple and cheap fix. Also, not sure if this is related, but some starts result in the RPM jumping between 500 and 1000 RPM before it stops at a nice quick 950. Is this normal? Since this is my first car and my dad only knows older engines, we're kinda stuck, so any help would be appreciated.

Storm90 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Starting Up

check some of your sensors like o2 sensors. Also how does it drive? rough or good?

Car: 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
    Cd player: Pioneer Deh-p3500
    Amp: MA Audio HK-1998
    Sub: 2 Powerbass Xtreme 12's
    Box: 3 cubes ported (until i build bigger box)

Refs: xluben
    Moe Lester
    illzfaded
    Foreman
    Johnecon2001
    Sblazer
    Bigaznmike
    Fosgate140
    Saltyreefguy

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It drives nice, once it starts it stays running. How do I check the O2 sensors? And what am I looking for? Also, would replacing/cleaning those change the high RPM that we idle at right now? Or do most Grand Ams idle at a high speed? We were thinking of taking it in for a tune up, since it probably hasn't ever had one, so maybe we should schedule that earlier than expected. Any help or ideas is, again, appreciated.

Storm90 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what engine is in the grand am? Also do you have any check engine light on? If so you can go to a autozone and have them check it. If your car drives fine then its not your o2 sensors. You say your idleing high what do u idle at?

Car: 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
    Cd player: Pioneer Deh-p3500
    Amp: MA Audio HK-1998
    Sub: 2 Powerbass Xtreme 12's
    Box: 3 cubes ported (until i build bigger box)

Refs: xluben
    Moe Lester
    illzfaded
    Foreman
    Johnecon2001
    Sblazer
    Bigaznmike
    Fosgate140
    Saltyreefguy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well it sounds like neither you nor your dad know a thing, which is rather unfortunate... i would explain my suggestions but i'm sure you wouldnt understand.

i'll give you somewhere to start, and maybe you can just go to a mechanic and ask for help.

basically what it sounds like is a combination of failures or malfunctions related to the idle speed control motor (isc) the exhaust gas recirculation valve (egr). the idle speed control motor is a stepper motor that regulates the resting point of the throttle cables and the passages in the throttle body that allow additional air into the intake past the throttle plates to raise the idle by making the air/fuel mixture a bit leaner. the egr valve is a controlled restriction for the exhaust system, and if it remains active it will create a permanent restriction that will hinder the engines ability to exit its exhaust gases and therefore not run/start properly.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Storm, the engine is the 3.4L non-turbo, and it idles at 950 normally, which I'm guessing is pretty high. The check light hasn't been on as far as I know. Ir, what's with the holier-than-thou ****? I said that my dad only knows older engines, which were simpler and had this strange concept called carburetors which you should know about. My dad was going off of what he knows about older cars, like his multiple mid-60's Chevelles, and he's a carpenter so he doesn't stay on top of new technology. This is one of our first used cars, so we never really had to work on the others. So while you're still on this site, let me bow down to your greatness and I'll hope that somebody else can come in the can actually see without having to pop his head out of his ***.

volonau is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mine does the same thing. Starter doesn't disengage properly all the time.
    I thought I'd have to replace the starter 175000k ago but have not.
    The goofy idle problem is also a 3.4l special.
    New plugs and clean the injectors will help slightly but not totally.

I have 255,879 k on my 2001 and have done the brakes, changed the tires, and a wheel bearing.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Volonau, thank you so much. Ir, I talked to a mechanic friend of mine today and he nearly died laughin when I told him about the starter and your suggestion of a bad egr. He told me to try the fuel filter, and if that doesn't work I may need to check out the fuel pump. The car runs fine, it doesn't start right all the time. Vol hit it on the head. For so many Grand Ams in my area I'm surprised nobody has said anything. But I suppose that's because most of the GA's are owned by spoiled girls who can bring it to the garage every day or they don't notice it because they don't know a thing about engines. Oh well, it's a nice car and they're only blemishes on the jealousy my friends have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk
    Volonau, thank you so much. Ir, I talked to a mechanic friend of mine today and he nearly died laughin when I told him about the starter and your suggestion of a bad egr. He told me to try the fuel filter, and if that doesn't work I may need to check out the fuel pump. The car runs fine, it doesn't start right all the time. Vol hit it on the head. For so many Grand Ams in my area I'm surprised nobody has said anything. But I suppose that's because most of the GA's are owned by spoiled girls who can bring it to the garage every day or they don't notice it because they don't know a thing about engines. Oh well, it's a nice car and they're only blemishes on the jealousy my friends have.
    haha i'm glad you got a laugh out of your friend, thats what i was going for with virtually every post i've made in this section of the forum and so far no one has realized that what i'm saying makes absolutely no sense. i always toss in a couple accurate terms and definitions and just make it into a ridiculously inaccurate combination of ramblings

theCybe is offline sector three

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^ Yes, and that's exactly the type of bullshit everyone needs. So thanks for contributing. *******.

Closed Thread