Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Diffrence

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Diffrence

whats the diffrence from just gettin the air filter vs. getttin the whole short ram kit w/ the cone from k&n filters. i drive a 1.8T so would the filter help my turbo any?

revrider1 is offline Hmmm...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Diffrence

I have just the filter in my car and it does make a differance. I would rather have the whole kit thought, I would think it should do better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineThumperJ9
    whats the diffrence from just gettin the air filter vs. getttin the whole short ram kit w/ the cone from k&n filters. i drive a 1.8T so would the filter help my turbo any?
    Yes, a new filter and intake will help your power. Getting a good CAI and hi-flow filter will allow more cooler,denser air into your engine, which will then in turn increase power.

AlpineThumperJ9 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks for the input

heyman421 is offline Veteran Camel Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know about 'most' cars, but the 1.8t is not most cars.

VW and Audi use the same air intake systems for every car, with every engine right now, all the way up to the RS4, which is a 350hp turbo V8, they use different intakes for the A6's and A8's, but regardless, the same air intake is on your car right now, it's fine. If you've ever actually opened the hood, you'll see the factory air intake IS a cold air intake, and the snorkel on the intake is right behind the grill, next to the passenger side headlight, which is the highest-pressure area on the entire front of the car (they did it on purpose)

Secondly, a car with a turbo, from the factory or not, will not benefit from an aftermarket intake, because airflow and temperature are dictated by the turbo, and not the air intake itself. A forced induction car doesn't have to draw air into the itself, rather it's forced in, negating the 'improved flow' of an intake, and the 'cold air' aspect of an intake is also defeated, because whether the air going in is 25 degrees or 90, it wont be after it goes through a 200 degree turbo impellar, and the very act of compressing air raises it's temperature.

If you wanted to improve your air intake system, i'd get a k&n drop-in filter for your factory airbox, and if you're buying in to the 'colder air' hype, grab a bigger intercooler, or invest in water/alcohol injection, because that's the only way to achieve colder, more dense air into your turbocharged car.

dbhittin is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

do a fmic and more boost and take that lil turbo out

bibby is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can refer over to my thread about intakes n such, i got a lot of useful info from some guys here in the last 2 days...

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156338

If you are viewing my profile from SMD, FSC, or d-series.org, then this is the thread with my refs...
    Refs: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231239

AlpineThumperJ9 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yea i read your fourm the other day thanks guys for the help. so final verdict swap the filter for a stock drop in from k and n...

RandyJ is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heyman421

Secondly, a car with a turbo, from the factory or not, will not benefit from an aftermarket intake, because airflow and temperature are dictated by the turbo, and not the air intake itself. A forced induction car doesn't have to draw air into the itself, rather it's forced in, negating the 'improved flow' of an intake, and the 'cold air' aspect of an intake is also defeated, because whether the air going in is 25 degrees or 90, it wont be after it goes through a 200 degree turbo impellar, and the very act of compressing air raises it's temperature.

If you wanted to improve your air intake system, i'd get a k&n drop-in filter for your factory airbox, and if you're buying in to the 'colder air' hype, grab a bigger intercooler, or invest in water/alcohol injection, because that's the only way to achieve colder, more dense air into your turbocharged car.
    You are wrong, and a larger intercooler can and probably will (in his case) only increase the pressure drop and cause an even greater inefficiency.

Density Ratio = (T1 T2) (P2 P1)

We see here that pressure ratio is dependant upon two temps, Tf and Ti.

Here, we see two things that show that inlet temperature actually do affect outlet temperature.

Ideal Outlet Temperature Rise R
    T2= T1(P2 P1)0.283

and

Actual Outlet Temperature Rise
    OTR = (T2 - T1) AE)

From this information presented, we can clearly see that inlet temperature certainly DOES matter, and you will see an enormous difference in a climate of 20* and 90*, especially without an intercooler.

Please feel free to correct me if I read wrong and misunderstood what you were saying.

Closed Thread