Just last week, I was at work on lunch break with my AC on listening to my stereo, and all of a sudden, after about 25 min, my HU started turning on and off, and my battery light came on. I turned my car off, and tried to restart it, and there was no juice, battery was dead. I popped the hood, and noticed that the big three upgrade wire from my alt to bat was laying on the chasis, shorting out my battery. SO I fixed that, and turned my key on, and everything seemed to be fine. I needed a jump to get my car running tho, cuz it was dead. The next day comes, and I think everything is fine, until my HU starts doing the same thing at lunch after about 25 again. I pooped my hood again, and double checked everything again. Everything looked fine. At this point, im thinking my alt is bad, so I check it with the multi-meter when I get home and notice when my car was running, my alt was putting out 12.5 v, instead of what it should have been of 14.6v. So then I thought, okay, so i ****ed my alt when the 0 gauge bat cable shorted. I remembered that my bro owed me an alt from one car, and so I went and got one from him, out of a 93 cavalier, and I hooked it up and checked, and the voltage was where it was supposed to be, 14.6v. PROBLEM FIXED! Yesturday, I did the same thing at luch that I always do, and had no problems. Today, I did the same thing, and the same **** started going on again. I checked the voltage after I got my car jumped again, and it was 12.7v. 2 alts ****ed in 1 week!?! I dont have anything in my new system hooked up yet, so im not drawing anymore power then I have before. I havnt done anything different or changed anything before I had problems, and I dont know what to do. What do u think the problem is? I have checked all the wiring in the engine bay, and everything is good. DO u think it is my battery, so my alt has to run all the time, and its buring it up, or do u think I should upgrade to a higher amperage alt? Or what????
Wow, thats alot of text.