Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Changing the color of lighted buttons

VTOgre is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Changing the color of lighted buttons

I have a 2004 Lincoln LS and I want to change the color of all the buttons on the interior. I have read on another forum that to do this you have to get a transparent film to put on the underside of the buttons. You also have to get rid of the green film that is already there. Has anyone done this before?

Also, anyone know where to get this film at? I want all of my buttons to glow blue.

I know it's gonna be a huge job to open up everything, but I'm willing to take the time.

bonesninja is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Changing the color of lighted buttons

Quote Originally Posted by VTOgre
    I have a 2004 Lincoln LS and I want to change the color of all the buttons on the interior. I have read on another forum that to do this you have to get a transparent film to put on the underside of the buttons. You also have to get rid of the green film that is already there. Has anyone done this before?

Also, anyone know where to get this film at? I want all of my buttons to glow blue.

I know it's gonna be a huge job to open up everything, but I'm willing to take the time.
    wow thats pretty ambitious--post some pics when your done--i'll bet that would be pretty slick.

Quote Originally Posted by chase007 View Post
    if u need a box...I'l taked 3 years of shop class so i know what im doing.

after i explained to him there's more to a proper box than boards and glue and he should practice before trying to sell boxes to others

yes personaly if it was some one elce that just starting making boxes but i'v taken shop for 3 years now...Making a lil box is nothing i don't need to pratice on a box to get it right i learned alot of stuff from 1 box and i can fix that in my next box
    after i told him that customers would care about the looks of the box

if u want some thing that looks pretty why don't u find a black guy with a big d*ck.

boister77 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

go to a pro audio shop. they usually have a lighting section. tell them you want to purchase gells. if you can't find a pro audio shop in your area. here's a link to where you can buy a sample gell book. they also sell full sheets
    http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl?...04111714274648

www.realmofexcursion.com: Free Hosting for Videos, Pics, Audio, and more!
    forum.realmofexcursion.com: Another car audio forum.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awesome, thank you so much!! That is exactly what I was looking for. If I ever do get around to it I will post the pics. Hopefully get it done by the end of the year.

boister77 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no prob. definitely post pics when finished.

www.realmofexcursion.com: Free Hosting for Videos, Pics, Audio, and more!
    forum.realmofexcursion.com: Another car audio forum.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you think I would need more than one sheet to do the whole car? If I do, how many do you think it would take? I don't wanna buy too much, but I also don't wanna have the whole **** car apart and realize I don't have enough.

Strecker25 is offline Better than everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

only dash lights i have are behind my dash (basically only speedo as i have idiot lights. Think i could just get a little bit and do it? and i have some aftermarket small gauges think its possible to change their color also?

Panasonic CQ-HR1003U
    Twin Diamond Audio M6 12D4's
    3.2Ft^3 @33hz
    Viper Audio d1200.1
    Diamond Audio M651 5.25" components
    Profile Clarus CL800
    200amp alt, big3

2 Gallons of eDead v3 ( Group Buy )
    40sqft eDead V1se
    20sqft Dynamat extreme

Pictures of the setup

Video of the M6's

All in a 94 Lumina

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone know how I would attach this stuff? It would be too hard to use a spray adhesive, plus I don't want to leave any marks. Thanks in advance.

req
    req is offline am a mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

why are you using that stuff?

just take out whatever color 'film' they are using, get some clear plastic film (like you would use on one of those clear plastic holders when you handed in your essays in college) and tape\scure that in place - maybe do a light sanding on the front - and install some LEDs behind the panels to light up the plastic. can use whatever color you want.

www.LSDIODES.com - the 3mm LEDs would be the smallest\brightest for this application. they run off ~3v, you you will need to wire them eaither with a resistor of the correct resistance, or 4 in parallel on a 12V line (14V the car is on, maybe get away with 5 per string - but they would be a LITTLE dimmer.)

thats how i would do it. and id replace all my interior lights with super bright white LEDs... and im going to do this in my next vehicle.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was thinking of the LED idea, but there is one major problem, there are a hell of a lot of LEDS I would have to wire up. They are in all 4 doors, in overhead controls, in the dash, on the console, in the radio controls, practically freakin' everywhere. The film is a lot easier to use. No wires to have to worry about.

req
    req is offline am a mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VTOgre
    I was thinking of the LED idea, but there is one major problem, there are a hell of a lot of LEDS I would have to wire up. They are in all 4 doors, in overhead controls, in the dash, on the console, in the radio controls, practically freakin' everywhere. The film is a lot easier to use. No wires to have to worry about.
    thats assuming there is film, and not just a colored LED in the first place. alot of times, the console will have yellow bulbs and film, or just the yellow bulb - even LEDs to begin with. but in the dash, there is usually a sheet of a glowing pad called an "El Lamp" or electro luminescient lamp (or the LEDs built inside the controlls). basically that cheap glowing wire crap that they sell in pepboys that barely works. but this is in a flat sheet form. they use these in clocks for indiglo.

so you might be looking at taking a ton of crap out, and be left with a +12v wire.

and basically, wherever there is a light, there is a 12v wire. and from that wire, you can run 4 or 5 LEDs each.just TAKE YOUR TIME or it will be crappy anyway. LEDs are WAY brighter than a bulb with film over it. and they can be directional, or sanded down and ambient.

IMO;

LED > bulb with color film
    ultrabright white LED > car stock bulbs

they draw less current, and they get way brighter. on top of that, **** whiteish\blue lights like the projector headlights are teh **** - rather than that ugly yellow glow

spend some time with your favorite soldering iron, some shrinkwrap, and your wire cutters, and maybe a gluegun, and it could turn out quite illuminating.

so i suggest LEDs, thats what im doing, and thats the best\brightest\cost efficent lighting source for the price.

MetalMaxima is offline AURAL DESTROYER

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have done this on my 2000 Maxima. What I had to do was strip the climate control and window control units down to the circutboard and solder in 5mm LEDs. It takes a bit of time and some patience. You will need to determine the polarity of the contacts and if you need resistors. It is a cheap mod, but pays for itself 100x over. Good luck...you're gonna love the look when you're done!

DO NOT color the bulbs though. More often than not the OEM LEDs are small rectangular bulbs that are soldered closley to the board. If you paint/color the bulbs, in about 2 months you will have to do it again since the temperature of the marker/paint WILL fade. Moreover, alot of the bulbs are #74 type bulbs which are plug and play...you can get them at autolumination.com

iamamp3pimp is offline Bass Heads Entertainment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

just had to subscribe. this is a good thread, and req seems to know almost everything.

what do u do anyway?

www.BassHeadsENT.net for all your custom enclosure needs
    Offering build service and expertise in the Tampa area as well as enclosures shipped nationwide!
    Robin@BassHeadsENT.net

Check this thread for all the build logs being posted.
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/suppo...ks-thread.html

Closed Thread