Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Wiring LED lights to flash to your subwoofer. How i did it and how to improve

Backcountry is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon14 Wiring LED lights to flash to your subwoofer. How i did it and how to improve

Okay, I picked up some 6" red led strips for the hell of it and I got bored and decided to try and wire it to my subs. So I got a switch and did a ground wire to the body and a hot wire to the positive ob my amp. Hooked the positives for the leds to the switch and hooked the negatives to the negative on the amp. Worked perfect. Except for one crucial issue. I can turn the lights off When I don't want to have the lights constantly flashing in my face but when I start to put a lot of power to the sub I tend to cook the led strips. How could I fix that issue? Without doing a microphone setup (laggy). Could you just throw a resistor in the wiring or do you think that resistor would fry/ not make a difference..?

Oraclem19 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Wiring LED lights to flash to your subwoofer. How i did it and how to improve

Quote Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
    Okay, I picked up some 6" red led strips for the hell of it and I got bored and decided to try and wire it to my subs. So I got a switch and did a ground wire to the body and a hot wire to the positive ob my amp. Hooked the positives for the leds to the switch and hooked the negatives to the negative on the amp. Worked perfect. Except for one crucial issue. I can turn the lights off When I don't want to have the lights constantly flashing in my face but when I start to put a lot of power to the sub I tend to cook the led strips. How could I fix that issue? Without doing a microphone setup (laggy). Could you just throw a resistor in the wiring or do you think that resistor would fry/ not make a difference..?
    Transistor. Use a transistor before you blow them. Going to need one that can handle up to about 50v@ maybe 10-20A depending on what you're running to your woofers.

chefzane is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Wiring LED lights to flash to your subwoofer. How i did it and how to improve

I know the single colors consume 2 volts constant so you are pulling 2volts out of the current whichever side it is u pull it from (input/output) I suggest output side as it won't affect ur gain settings hardly at all

And does it matter what ohm they are in relation to what your amp sees, they have a crazy high resistance, can't remember for sure and prolly wrong on this number but think its like 20k, does that affect what the amp sees?

Coming soon

pickup1 is online now Audiosystem,Dynaudio...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Problem with those is they are slow and don't react quick enough for a lot of fast dance, techno, etc but a lot of dubstep is too fast and varied for the one you suggested

Coming soon

Oraclem19 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chefzane View Post
    Problem with those is they are slow and don't react quick enough for a lot of fast dance, techno, etc but a lot of dubstep is too fast and varied for the one you suggested
    Quote Originally Posted by Oraclem19
    Transistor. Use a transistor
    Transistor.
    Reacts faster than anything, pulls milliamps of current, and costs $5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Game set match thanks bud

Coming soon

Corybrdmn is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

you can just buy rgb lights with a wireless remote and control the pulse and all that good stuff and not have to worry about your amp burning them I bought ones from ledglow and had them put in my box when I had that being mad and I ran them to my second battery and I control all the lights from one remote diff colors pulsing and fading through the colors with different speeds and such actually really cool effect

Pioneer avh p5200bt, American bass phantom 4000, American bass sq375.4, 1 10" Tantric Sounds HD with custom painted features, 4 cdt cl5-cx, knukonceptz neon orange and neon blue 4awg wire all around, 2nd high rate Agm batter in trunk custom made box for sub by ss audio solutions (plexi, kerf port, million color leds)

Closed Thread