Well I have been planning out my enclosure for my 15" DC XL and wanted something amazing that is really going to turn heads, I looked into suede, plexiglass, carpet, fiberglass... and decided on a combination of them, but Theonly part I didnt know how to accomplish was achieving that show car paint job, a high shine high-gloss mirror paint job that looks like a professional job. Now I will post pics later of my practice runs but I just though I would post pics for the 2 tutorials I found that work very well for paint anything that can be primed to a mirror finish. It took me a while to find these So I thought I would share them! Now these are all done with a spray can. Here is an over view of the process:
1. Sand surface smooth with no deep scratches (use filer if needed)
2. Prime 2-3 coats sanding with 320 grit between
3. Spray Color coat, use light coats many layers sand at the last coat with 400 grit and spray one more layer and sand with 600 grit or 1000 grit (look at tutorial most paints need to cure for at least 2-3 days)
4. Now spray clear coats several thin layers and sand after 5-10 coats with 600 1000 and 2000.
5. Then Buff with rubbing compound, then swirl compound (maybe one or another) and later after a couple week cure you can use car polish or a jewelers rouge...
-Use quality paint and sandpaper it makes a huge difference
-Spray many thin layers 8-12" away
-follow directions on materials
Now you can have a great glossy finish with no expensive equipment. Hope this helps some people. I dont post much but I know I was looking for something like this so Im sure a few others are as well.
I am not in anyway taking credit for these tutorials just putting it in a place where its easier for the car audio industry to find! I read through probably 20 tutorials to find these 2 good ones.
Links to tutorials:
linear1 case mods » case mod 101: how to paint your computer case (part 1)
linear1 case mods » case mod 101: how to paint your computer case (part 2)
How to paint MDF to a mirror finish worklog