Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: The newbie guide to custom kick panels

Grill cloth is a good matterial that is stretchy. As for the amount of heat for it to crack, it does take more like summer heat to do the damage.

Friends Don't Let Friends Buy MTX

Gauntlet is offline bulletproof

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cracking occurs in heat above the temperature that the resin manufacturer recommends....to compensate just use a little less hardener and you shouldn't have any problems. Or actually follow the directions.

As far as what cloth to use....it's not that big of a deal. Something that streches farily easily and can soak up resin will do the job. If you think it's too thin, you can always reinforce it with a couple of layers of mat.

"The world is full of people who want nothing short of perfect,
    but settle for less, blinded by their quest for purpose."
    - Slug

bumpin_blazer is offline Only the Strong Survive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet
    Cracking occurs in heat above the temperature that the resin manufacturer recommends....to compensate just use a little less hardener and you shouldn't have any problems. Or actually follow the directions.

As far as what cloth to use....it's not that big of a deal. Something that streches farily easily and can soak up resin will do the job. If you think it's too thin, you can always reinforce it with a couple of layers of mat.
    exactly if you follow directions it will be fine. i used fleece for my kicks and you'll be hard pressed to find much warmer summer's than August in central Tx. 2 yrs and not 1 crack so take it with a grain of salt. personally i feel car audio and electronics is 90% or more biased b/c they get paid for their spots by certain companies.

adam

2006 Bright Island Blue 6s: stock 6 disc in dash, Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" comps, MB Quart Ref 12", eclipse 5-channel sub amp.

Car mods: Lowered on Mazdaspeed springs with Koni Yellow shocks, Racing beat front/rear sway bars with AWR end links, LED turn signals, tail lights, front side markers, 18" ADR Cypher rims, 55w HID's in low beam and fogs, 5% tint all the way around. No go fast mods yet...tuning and Mazda6 don't go well together .

Steve a.k.a. ss3079: So this one lady goes, "These ignorant people who drive around blasting there music, they cant hear emergency vehicles"
    So that set me off, and I said "Well then why do they let deaf people drive?"

AOL: JmKeenen

smullen is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bumpin_blazer
    exactly if you follow directions it will be fine. i used fleece for my kicks and you'll be hard pressed to find much warmer summer's than August in central Tx. 2 yrs and not 1 crack so take it with a grain of salt. personally i feel car audio and electronics is 90% or more biased b/c they get paid for their spots by certain companies.

adam
    I would pretty much agree with ya on your opinion of car audio when it comes to reviewing product... But this was an article and there was no actuall products that I rember for them to push...

I wish I could find that issue and read it again...

ditto985 is offline Fiberglass king

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That article had nothing to do with products at all, it was a demo for building your own fiberglass dash. As for finding that article try www.caraudiomag.com/contactus/ and contact back issues. The magazine name is Car Audio and Electronics, the issue date is October 2003, Volume 16 Number 10

Friends Don't Let Friends Buy MTX

sumone is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How good do they stand up to the weather? Like the heat vents by your foot, and also, since winters' pretty much here [in chicago, this sunday], wouldn't your wet rain/snow feet damage them? Me, or the driver, would be careful about the kicks when getting in the car and driving, but when you have joe schmoe get in on the passenger side and kick them whilst getting in with his steel-toe boots after walking in 2 foot of snow....makes me wonder??

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Put snow and water into your bathtub ... how does it hold up ? (well, some have an inside lining, but the outside is sprayed with fiberglass ... water won't hurt the fiberglass itself)

A little common sense goes a long way when you get into the vehicle. You should be able to make them pretty much "up and out of the way" kind of deal. Just warn your passengers to watch where the hell they put their feet

You can make them as strong as you want to ... for kick panels, some just resin the fleece and call it a day. But, you can make them strong enough to park your car on if you wish.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

bumpin_blazer is offline Only the Strong Survive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

as i said my car has never had any problems. i've had my kick panels in the car for 2 years not 1 crack, nick, dent, break etc. i agree with steve i tell anyone who gets into my car, " think i'm insane or not you kick my kick panel hard enough to damage anything you better believe you are paying to fix it." so far that's worked pretty well except when my dink self hit the dustcap on my vifa mids and dented it. oh i also forgot to mention this in my post, i put my kick panel on concrete to dry so that's probably i'd guess 120-150 degree's if the air is at 100. so i'd guess temp won't do much aside from putting your kick panel under say a blow torch.

adam

2006 Bright Island Blue 6s: stock 6 disc in dash, Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" comps, MB Quart Ref 12", eclipse 5-channel sub amp.

Car mods: Lowered on Mazdaspeed springs with Koni Yellow shocks, Racing beat front/rear sway bars with AWR end links, LED turn signals, tail lights, front side markers, 18" ADR Cypher rims, 55w HID's in low beam and fogs, 5% tint all the way around. No go fast mods yet...tuning and Mazda6 don't go well together .

Steve a.k.a. ss3079: So this one lady goes, "These ignorant people who drive around blasting there music, they cant hear emergency vehicles"
    So that set me off, and I said "Well then why do they let deaf people drive?"

AOL: JmKeenen

Matt_83 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ya dude, that looks really good. I've got an idea for some kick panels for my truck, and this really helped me out in figuring out the steps. I think i'll work on them in the summer once i got a little more time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Finally convinced myself to try...so...

What steps can I leave out??? I wanna spend as less time as possible and as less money as possible, but not at the sacrifice of doing a poor job.

I'm gonna be parked on a one way street for doing the left kick, let it dry(or is it harden); then the next day, park on the other side and do the right kick.

My plan is to put a some hd-62efs in em, and I do want good imaging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

also I don't know what a dremel is and when I looked it up, it's a company...so what product am I exaclty looking for???

Gauntlet is offline bulletproof

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You're looking for a basic rotary tool, like this:

http://www.dremel.com/productdisplay...sku=1003009005

I got a basic one at Home Depot for around 40 bucks, and the fiberglass cutting bit for $10.

As far as what steps to leave out....they're pretty much all very important to the final product....

"The world is full of people who want nothing short of perfect,
    but settle for less, blinded by their quest for purpose."
    - Slug

checo is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nice job!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for share, it is helping me a lot.

S. Moreno

Hondaluv is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This should nearly go without saying but there was one small point missed in this thread. I see he mentioned wearing safety glasses when sanding fiberglass... quite true, I recommend them anytime working with mat, dry or cured. trust me, the first time you bend fiberglass mat, look into the air around it... you'll see little shimmering "hairs" and they float alot. Which also leads me to my point. A RESPERATOR is HIGHLY recommended, during mat handling, coating, and sanding. I found my reserator, made for fiberglass made a HUGE difference in the fumes, fiberglass hairs, and sanding particles... Try fiberglassing without one and you'll have a sore throat after I guarantee it. Latez!

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hondaluv
    Try fiberglassing without one and you'll have a sore throat after I guarantee it.
    Just did a pair of kicks. I'm still alive and kicking. No mask

Though I HIGHLY suggest that you wear one.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

User Tag List