Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: First SPL Competition

hard to say. but usually 6-8 lower then the peak freq. well thas how i play it. there may be a better way

btdickey99 is offline I Hate the Tarheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyBoy View Post
    That's what I thought. Now, I just gotta find someone with a Termlab to help me out.

Anybody got an answer for the second part of my question? What tuning should I go with based on my peak frequency? -10? +10? Or is that something I will have to mess around with and figure out what works best?
    I would do it 2-3 db off what your car peaks at...unless of course your peaking at something high and still want the box to be used as a dd

2000 Chevy Silverado 4x4

REFS: texasound82, duece212, flipside1212, l7runner, oxsign, tapout, Busabob, NightDrifter05, GOOSE, GohillaAudio, jmanpc, fwb_1234, Fusion_Freak, arkadiy, LoggedOut, Kmanian, KyleBechtold, Beerdrnkr, R/T Pimp, Louie68, dropped_tb, audiobaun, Psychodrama, JBLCAMRY, yunvme666, Buckyboy, CRXBMPN, bpres9991, Worlddre, KCha, operationcougar, Vitveet, and many more...

hunterw is offline whooodie whoooo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

what kind of car is it btw? and you kind answered your own question lol. box is tuned to 32, peak was at 42...

thehardknoxlife is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)

If your an all out SPList....get rid of the carpet.......

jnralp00 is offline well then...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You would actually want to put your sub in a sealed box to find the peak frequency of your car, and go from there. And start tuning from there. If you want to do it right anyways...

BuckyBoy is offline Box Designer/Builder

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by btdickey99 View Post
    I would do it 2-3 db off what your car peaks at...unless of course your peaking at something high and still want the box to be used as a dd
    I'm going to use the box in the pictures for my daily driver box and a higher tuned box for competitions if my peak frequency is high.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterw View Post
    what kind of car is it btw? and you kind answered your own question lol. box is tuned to 32, peak was at 42...
    2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
    The 42 was just throwing a number out as an example. I haven't had a sweep done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by thehardknoxlife View Post
    If your an all out SPList....get rid of the carpet.......
    Why do you say that? The box in my pictures will be my daily driver box tho, but for a comp box I will go bare box if there is actually a reason to. Never heard of that tho.

www.smith-customs.com
    Find Smith Customs on Facebook!

References: Vexter 0944, Lingerfelt, riddla, Exploder 97, dillinja666, king ranch, chopsu3i, bonesninja, sxkicker89, djessenz, hl26, btdickey99, JLMaster, jbirrd15, bones22, belbo, 99grandprixGT, woody89, viebotls, garrettpf, SPL140.2, alex5857, Pickler, simpsonbuck, Rickikaye69, Bettr n' Revrse, swollen_cu

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jnralp00 View Post
    You would actually want to put your sub in a sealed box to find the peak frequency of your car, and go from there. And start tuning from there. If you want to do it right anyways...
    haha didn't know that either, but I do want to do it right. If I can find someone to do the sweep for me before the next competition then I will throw together a sealed box for it. Thanks

www.smith-customs.com

References: Vexter 0944, Lingerfelt, riddla, Exploder 97, dillinja666, king ranch, chopsu3i, bonesninja, sxkicker89, djessenz, hl26, btdickey99, JLMaster, jbirrd15, bones22, belbo, 99grandprixGT, woody89, viebotls, garrettpf, SPL140.2, alex5857, Pickler, simpsonbuck, Rickikaye69, Bettr n' Revrse, swollen_cu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

ahhh i see. i think it would be louder on the meter with the sub and port firing forward....

carpet hurts spl scores. id do a lot mot to thazt box if it was spl, bigger port, 45 the corners,resin it, double up all the sides, basically make it as rigid and as fast as possible if that make sense... there are a lot of things to find out through mutiple box builds. if your into it all crazy like lol. bolting the box down helps too, and having it fit completely snug from wheel well to wheel well

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

ahhh i see. i think it would be louder on the meter with the sub and port firing forward....

carpet hurts spl scores. id do a lot mot to thazt box if it was spl, bigger port, 45 the corners,resin it, double up all the sides, basically make it as rigid and as fast as possible if that make sense... there are a lot of things to find out through mutiple box builds. if your into it all crazy like lol. bolting the box down helps too, and having it fit completely snug from wheel well to wheel well
    I strongly disagree with that unless it was totally sealed off...I think either sub up port up, or sub back port back

And as far as the carpet thing....thats news to me?

how do you figure?

2000 Chevy Silverado 4x4

REFS: texasound82, duece212, flipside1212, l7runner, oxsign, tapout, Busabob, NightDrifter05, GOOSE, GohillaAudio, jmanpc, fwb_1234, Fusion_Freak, arkadiy, LoggedOut, Kmanian, KyleBechtold, Beerdrnkr, R/T Pimp, Louie68, dropped_tb, audiobaun, Psychodrama, JBLCAMRY, yunvme666, Buckyboy, CRXBMPN, bpres9991, Worlddre, KCha, operationcougar, Vitveet, and many more...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The front is doubled. 45s in every corner. I won't be carpet on my competition box.
    What kind of port area you thinking? That box is 2.5ft^3 and has 31.25 square inches. Bump it up to around 40?
    I doubt I will resin it, but I might. I seal them up really well. I will also design the comp box to fit wheel well to wheel well.
    Thanks for all the advice keep it coming.
    What you guys think I can meter if I do all this with a test tone at peak freq? The winner from the last competition in Street One was 146 something.

www.smith-customs.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I strongly disagree with that unless it was totally sealed off...I think either sub up port up, or sub back port back

how do you figure?
    I was thinking sub up port back as well, but I tried to design a box like that last time and just couldn't get it how I wanted with my hatch dimensions.

www.smith-customs.com

jnralp00 is offline well then...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

how do you figure?
    ^^ X2.. Actually in a hatch like yours, could do better off axis, firing up. Hard to say though just have to try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

well in most small odd hatches that i have played with there was a 2db gain by firing the ports and subs forward........tibs,cougars, etc.

as far as the carpet, i dont know why exactly it just does...think of spl like the continuim transfunctioner.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

yea unless you completely seal the cabin off, I think its a bad idea for sub and port forward

2000 Chevy Silverado 4x4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

you just have to test. test and test a lot more.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

User Tag List