Not a lot of pics at the moment, as I didn't really intend on this being a real build initially.
Been needing a cheap beater car that doesn't kill me on gas like my Tahoe does, so picked this up for $250. Yes, $250. Had to replace the cylinder head due to a broke timing belt, and a few other things as well. But car was otherwise in good condition.
Originally, all I wanted was to take the Sundown SA-15 and SAE-1000 amp out of my Tahoe, and put it in here...which is what I did. Had a local shop build a box for me. 3 cubes @ 33hz.
I was happy with it...until curiosity got the best of me, and I had it metered (Termlab). It did a 139.9. Sealed or in the kick with the door open didn't matter. 139.9 was it. If it'd have done a 137.xx or a 140.0, I'd have called it good and been happy....but the 39.9 gave me the bug to shoot for another .1.
Picked up a DC Audio Level 4 15 and a DC 2.0k. Ran a run of 1/0 CCA wire, swapped out the underhood 51R battery for a Autocraft (Advance Auto brand) Group 34 AGM and added one in the trunk as well.
Back on the meter and got a 143.6 sealed and a 145.1 outlaw. This big of a gain made me want to shoot for higher numbers, and got me to thinking about 150.
Ordered and installed a XL recone for the Level 4, with a d1.4 coil, wiring to .7 ohms. Put maybe 4 hours of play time on it, and went back to the meter.
With NO other changes other than the recone, I went from a 143.6 sealed to 144.9, and from 145.1 outlaw to a 146.5. I couldn't, and still can't hardly believe I got that much of a gain. I was HOPING for maybe a .5 gain, and expecting .3. But got 1.3 and 1.4 gain.
Still not good enough, I'm redoing the entire setup. Doing a new box. 3 cubes @ 32hz, but doing port/sub forward and sealing off the trunk, new 1/0 OFC wire, new RCA's, new amp rack and moving both amps to the rear, new mids/highs amp, moving battery to a different spot, etc. Tearing it down this weekend and will start putting it back together. Going to see how close to 150 I can get with the box change.
^Ugly wiring will be made less ugly when I rewire it all.
Complete list of stuff
-DC Level 4 15 w/ XL upgrades
-DC 2.0k amp
-DC 90.4 amp going in during rebuild (currently a Execution Audio 60.4)
-Crescendo Symphony Components going in (currently Nendo Symphony 6.5 Coaxials)
-Pioneer AVH-4800BS deck
Currently have the stock 70 amp alt, which hates me. Likely to be upgrading to a Singer in the near future. Until then, keeping a close eye on the voltmeter.
Been extremely happy with the gains I got so far. Won't be happy until I get 150 though.