Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1333 Post(s)

M1010 Military Ambulance Build

Hey guys, this first post will serve as an outline for the build as a whole, subject to change as needed. Bear with me as this will be a slow and painful (for me) build. The vehicle is in far from great condition and was originally purchased for parts for other CUCVs but was never ripped apart.

First I will be getting it back to running well, then do several mods so it is highway driveable. With the stock tires and drivetrain, top speed is 55mph.. It has a 3 speed TH400 transmission, 4.56 gears and a 6.2 diesel delivering a whopping 135 horsepower and 240 ft-lbs of torque (for now).

The issue with it dying at idle seems to be a fuel delivery issue, so I will be replacing everything between the fuel tank and motor, plus some other preventative maintenance that is long overdue.

New fuel lines
    Spin on fuel filter conversion (stock box filter is prone to crack and get air in fuel)
    K&N Air Filter
    Higher amperage starter relay
    Newer style glow plugs with manual override switch, while retaining automatic function
    New V belts
    Electric fuel pump

So long as the injection pump is still good, that *should* fix the issues with it dying at idle as well as make it much more reliable.

Next will be to do strip out all of the 24V electronics and do a full 12v conversion. The only downside to this is that the starter will be weaker, but it's a good tradeoff for much more reliability, and 24v is basically useless for car audio. This basically consists of removing the dual 24v alternators, removing the DUVAC regulator, removing the resistor box, removing the 24v starter, and adding 12v alternators and a starter.

Some time during the process of the maintenance and 12v conversion, I will be converting the v belt system to a serpentine system, the easiest way to do this would be to find a 6.5L diesel truck at a local junkyard or perhaps buy an entire 6.5L motor and upgrade the motor while I'm at it - although that's pretty unlikely. I'll also be removing the mechanical fuel pump since it won't be used after adding the electric pump. I'm also considering an electric fan to replace the mechanical fan, but am still undecided on that.

After all of that is done, I'll have the truck ready to go... except it still tops out at 55mph and gets terrible MPG at that speed, plus would destroy the motor and transmission over time. The first step will be swapping to 37" military take off tires. Next is the transmission. I haven't decided for sure, but I will either install a gear vendor kit on the TH400, or more likely swap to a built 700r4 or 4L80e. The locking torque converter on the 700r4 or 4L80e will really help with reliability on the highway as well as MPG. If I go with the 4L80e I will have to use a standalone computer which drives the cost up quite a bit. With both of the latter two options I'll probably have to fab up new motor mounts to move the engine about 1" forward to clear them. Also at this point I may add a Banks turbo, but that's something else that is still up in the air. It would definitely be beneficial with the weight and large tires though.

After all of this.... it may finally be ready for the audio build. I haven't decided what to do 100%, but I have a couple of different ideas. Any way it is built, it will be to showcase new products we have planned for the next year or two.

Anyway, on to the pictures.... this is where it gets ugly. I may need to find a better condition ambulance shell, but I just happen to know someone who is very good at body work and may be able to fix it right up. The ambulance shell is currently not on the truck, and will be stripped completely so that it is a huge rectangular box.

Yes, it's rough. Yes, it will probably cost a lot and take a lot of time to get right. But it should be worth it in the end. I've got very little invested in the truck itself, so all the cost will come from the build.

Here are some pictures of what it will start to look like once it's fixed up a little and has the 37s on.

Owner, SounDrive Audio
    Visit our store at www.soundrive.audio
    Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/soundriveAudio

PLEASE EMAIL ME FOR FASTER RESPONSES - [email protected]

Dealer for: SounDrive Audio | FSD Audio | Audio Legion | US Alternators | XS Power | Mechman | SPL-Lab | Taramps | ILL Customz
    Axxera, Axxess, Blues Audio, Install Bay, JVC, Kicker, Massive, Metra, PAC, Power Acoustik, Powerbass, Raptor, Soundstream, T-Spec

2. Likes Slo_Ride liked this post

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3184 Post(s)

Re: M1010 Military Ambulance Build

That's rather unique.

Surely though there must be room under the hood for another alternator or two, why no keep the stock 24V charging system for the vehicle and just add alternator(s) for your aftermarket upgrades?

Hertz Mafia is online now FEATHER RUFFLER

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    480 Post(s)

Crazy your changing so much stuff and putting so much money into it just to make it road worthy. Might be cheaper/smarter to get a vehicle in better shape to start with. Seems like a really big hassle if u ask me...but none the less this should be awesome build

5. Likes Jeffdachef, BoomTaco64, erod856 liked this post
    Slo_Ride is offline Take It Easy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2381 Post(s)

Love it!

Refs = PapaGeno21, Goindef154, 92c1v1c, Disarmer, chemmins, 97maxima, kroid777, ithertz, basscort2009, hunterw, mar08052, appleyard, millimac247, jonny101abc, sundownz, cranberryyumyum, mig139, daboyfrumdabx, skateguy92, basebalz13.

Jeffdachef is offline Gunz That Turn on Nunz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5559 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SounDrive View Post

So A sick plan would be to keep those bench seats and make a sealed pressure chamber that people can lay inside and you can seal them up and they will literally be in a bass coffin. Ambulance of Death by Decibels.

being trapped in a chamber like those japanese compartment bedrooms with 4 18s or so would be pretty gnarly.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2 and Alphard 200.4
    Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.
    320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

8. Likes sounds_explicit, erod856 liked this post
    Slo_Ride is offline Take It Easy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2381 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hertz Mafia View Post
    Crazy your changing so much stuff and putting so much money into it just to make it road worthy. Might be cheaper/smarter to get a vehicle in better shape to start with. Seems like a really big hassle if u ask me...but none the less this should be awesome build
    That's where all the fun is!

Refs = PapaGeno21, Goindef154, 92c1v1c, Disarmer, chemmins, 97maxima, kroid777, ithertz, basscort2009, hunterw, mar08052, appleyard, millimac247, jonny101abc, sundownz, cranberryyumyum, mig139, daboyfrumdabx, skateguy92, basebalz13.

SounDrive is offline www.soundrive.audio

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1333 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hertz Mafia View Post
    I've got next to nothing in the truck and already have most of the parts to get it running. Not sure where you think there's a military ambulance that's road worthy at 70mph without changing up a lot

Owner, SounDrive Audio

Dealer for: SounDrive Audio | FSD Audio | Audio Legion | US Alternators | XS Power | Mechman | SPL-Lab | Taramps | ILL Customz
    Axxera, Axxess, Blues Audio, Install Bay, JVC, Kicker, Massive, Metra, PAC, Power Acoustik, Powerbass, Raptor, Soundstream, T-Spec

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1333 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slo_Ride View Post
    That's where all the fun is!
    Exactly. The whole point is to have something unique. I already have a Tahoe if I wanted to throw in a small to medium sized wall build and go to shows, but everyone else has a Tahoe too. I want something that stands out. Marketing 101

Owner, SounDrive Audio

12. Likes Slo_Ride liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1333 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    That's rather unique.

Surely though there must be room under the hood for another alternator or two, why no keep the stock 24V charging system for the vehicle and just add alternator(s) for your aftermarket upgrades?
    The extra drag on the motor would be the killer there. The 24v alternators are essentially pulling the power of 400a worth of 12v alternators which is a ton for a 135hp motor with v belts. And the 24v regulation system also has lots of reliability issues, probably 9 out of 10 of these ambulances has a large parasitic drain and few people have been able to successfully fix them. Although I almost wonder if I could make a step up converter just to retain the 24V starter, but then I've got the reliability concern of something not working correctly.

Owner, SounDrive Audio

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1333 Post(s)

I've sourced a 6bt cummins and NV4500 and will likely be swapping them in.

Owner, SounDrive Audio

15. Likes Slo_Ride liked this post
    JPx187 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Subbed, about to buy a m1009 blazer and I'm wondering where to put the speakers...

Austin175 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    222 Post(s)

This could get interesting tuned in to see what you do with an is definitely different/unique that's forsure.

2003 Lancer ES
    H/U- Pioneer 880prs
    Mids/Highs- ????
    Sub Stage- DC Xlm2 12s(soon to be FI BTL Neo's)
    Mids/Highs Amp- Crescendo 1000C4
    Sub Amp- 2 Ampere 3800.1s
    Wiring- Welding 2/0, Welding 4g & Welding 8g
    Alt-????
    Batteries- 4 Xs Xp3ks & 1 Lithium
    Enclosure- 3.33Cf tuned to 34hrtz

+ Reply to Thread