Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3457 Post(s)

Re: Bye bye back seats....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffdachef View Post
    157 158?
    Not likely as it sits.

We did get the back on and the amps temporarily mounted for some testing. Still waiting on my alternator (though the new primary battery did arrive today).

I think I missed the mark on tuning by a fair bit. I can play down to 26 without unloading (I don't have any lower test tones). I'm leaving an awful lot on the table as far as the meter goes by tuning so low and I definitely want a proper alternator in before I try to push things.

I'm probably going to roll with it as is for a week or so and see what I think then perhaps try to carve out the port to tune higher.

atoz2 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)

How are those orileys batts??? And are they the group 34/78? If so I have one in the back and am thinking about getting more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3457 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by atoz2 View Post
    How are those orileys batts??? And are they the group 34/78? If so I have one in the back and am thinking about getting more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well the price when I bought them was @ 150$, they're over 180 now. That said mine are 34's and they perform about as well as anything and the more important thing is getting them all swapped out under warranty was no problem.

Going forward, the Bosh platinum AGM is around 175$ shipped from Pep Boys and offers 4 year warranty. There's almost no way you won't run them into the ground in 4 years so it's like buy one get one free.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3457 Post(s)

This actually leaves me a fair bit of cargo area in the back once I decide how I'm going to finish mounting the amps and cover them over. The removable window in the back fits airtight and seems solid enough. This will allow me to climb in there later for finishing and tweaking and also allow the entire box as usable cargo space when I need it for a long road trip or whatever. I'm very pleased with that feature anyway.

Carbon fiber is supposed to show up today, but so is rain and i really don't want to get into that quite yet, carpet will be here next week and I'll need another sheet of wood and some spray glue to ffinish off the back.

Lastly the headliner of this thing is a huge weak link. The thin cloth keeps falling down and it is because whatever it is underneath is just crumbling so pretty much nothing will stick to it. Compounding the problem is that I dumped half a dozen cans of spray foam between it and the steel roof to keep it from flapping around so much. I think I'm pretty much stuck with an ugly roof.

The Camry is offline Hey, I Try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1223 Post(s)

All those zeds. Jesus ****. How much money do you have to blow.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Gain on an amplifier to meant to be matched to the output voltage of your headunit. Think 3 volt, 4 volt, 5 volt pre out specs you see on headunit specs. This is how gain works for a given pre out(5 volt) theoretically. However most head units clip(start to distort) at around 80% of your volume so your 5 volt pre out wont give 5 volts Cleanly. You will most likely get 4 volts out at something like 33/40 on your volume knob and would thus set your gain to 4 volts. (these things can be measured with a GOOD Multimeter. )
    80% of your total volume is (max volume) X 0.8.
    Example is 40(is your max volume so, 40 X .8=32

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3457 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Camry View Post
    All those zeds. Jesus ****. How much money do you have to blow.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
    LOL. I bought Leviathan on pre-order V1 so it was considerably less than MSRP of current gen and got a friend price from Stephen on the Minotaurs just as he was switching to V2. What I have into these isn't as bad as what I had been spending on repairs on Chinese/Korean amps over the same time frame I've owned them..... AND they are all very efficient so I'm saving on the back end in batteries and having to step into a second alternator to be able to actually see rated power.

Still seems my peak is around 33hz now which needs to come up to 38-40 for my tastes. Not sure how I'm going to cut down the port and it's far too hot out today to climb in the box and try. If I can raise the tuning a bit I might could see some 57's out of it and still keep things musical.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3457 Post(s)

Scratch that. It cooled off a bit as the sun started setting so we carved out about 7 inches of port length. Plays very flat from 30 to 60 peaking somewhere around 44-45 I think? Not much of a peak even, I'm really surprised, these subs model quite a bit peakier particularly in this much airspace.

Initial testing is promising anyway. I'll wait for my alternator before I can really dial in the gains then I'm sure I can gain more on the meter as I finish out the box or if I bother to take out the front seats. For now this is good enough to get me around town.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3457 Post(s)

Got the battery box carpeted and installed an inverter which always comes in handy when I travel. Didn't notice the glue drip last night since it was dark when I finished up that'll snip right out.

Also very encouraging, doing some low power testing it seems I gain about 2.0 dB on the meter from taking out the front seats. I figure next weekend I'll have a chance to get the new alternator in and do some real testing.

9. Likes timma100 liked this post
    CSCStang is offline Enclosurist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    972 Post(s)

Nice build man. A full 2 db without seats? Choice.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

DAILY '12 Mustang AVH2700BS
    RS28F/682.9CF/PWX 8....ppi900.4/gmd5602 3 way active
    2 HDS208 TLINE @44hz...xtr2200.1
    BEATER '99 Silverado xcab AVH3600BHS
    X comps....c1c/PWX 8".....ppi600.2
    2 XFL 1544 TLINE @30hz....FSD3800.1
    DC 300 powerhouse....big 3 in both with 2/0 weld

Check out my past builds at Cscstang customs on fb or cscstang_customs ig.
    I'll be back to building eventually....

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3457 Post(s)

New home for Leviathan. This keeps it out of the way so I don't have to worry abut it getting smashed up when I use the back for cargo space.

Ran out of the tan carpet, will see if I can find just a little bit of black local and finish off the side with that.

Upside down mounting is sub-optimum but from testing they didn't get terribly hot with the old rack and no space anyway, so this saves material and a little space. Got one amp out for a tune-up right now. Still pretty loud with only 7 but sounds a bit off. Stephen says it's on the bench today so hopefully it'll be back to me by the end of next week.

Headliner is a disaster. It simply won't stay stuck for more than a couple days before it comes flaking off again. Also put a little sanding into the port.

New alternator also went in this week which seems to hang with the 7 amps easily so I suspect when I'm up to full power I should be good. Excessive gave me a super price on 6 phase and it's pretty sharp looking as well. Would still recommend him to anybody in the market.

wew lad is online now wew lad inc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2198 Post(s)

1 or 2 cap banks if you need it. Made a big difference for me

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1489 Post(s)

looks good. why not build a new interior head liner from scratch and stiffen the roof anyway?

got a question? shoot me a PM. Matthew 6:9-15 - YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    2011 Scion tc: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/625345-kha-does-2011-scion-tc.html
    2005 Scion tC: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3457 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wew lad View Post
    1 or 2 cap banks if you need it. Made a big difference for me
    These amps use regulated power supply so they make rated power at any input voltage. Lots better places I could drop that kind of money I think.

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    looks good. why not build a new interior head liner from scratch and stiffen the roof anyway?
    Mainly the 6 or 8 cans of spray foam that are between the roof console and thick part of the headliner and the steel. That was flapping around like crazy back when I was running only one or two 15s. IF I even felt comfortable trying to build one from scratch removing what's there at this point would be a nightmare. Had I know it would fail so catastrophically I'd have ripped it out when I first bought it and done something.

Also removing factory panels in front of the B pillar puts me in extreme class when I compete (with inch thick windows, cement filled doors) not like there's any of that up my way, but still...

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1489 Post(s)

gotcha. can you just remove the existing fabric and add more - using a proper 3M Super 90 or adhesive suitable for fabric? your class allows cosmetic repairs like replacing the headliner fabric instead of patching existing, right?

got a question? shoot me a PM. Matthew 6:9-15 - YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    2011 Scion tc: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/625345-kha-does-2011-scion-tc.html
    2005 Scion tC: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3457 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    gotcha. can you just remove the existing fabric and add more - using a proper 3M Super 90 or adhesive suitable for fabric? your class allows cosmetic repairs like replacing the headliner fabric instead of patching existing, right?
    That's the problem, it's not the thin fabric I think but whatever the backing is that's stuck hard to the roof that is disintegrating. So any other fabric I tried to stick would also just peel off in a few days. Been battling this for the past year and it has gone from bad to worse. I've thrown a few cans of 3M already into it and always the same, holds fine for a few days then slowly begins to fall off again along with some crumbs that are the solid piece shedding. Certainly if it were as simple as just the top fabric I could do and would have done by now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast