+ Reply to Thread

Reload Thread: 1998 Mercury Sable

mr_naler is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1998 Mercury Sable

I don't know how much longer I am going to have this vehicle, but I am going to keep working on the audio system until I sell, or trade, it. My current set up is as follows:

Pioneer DEH-X36UI
    JBL GTO 5x7 Components
    2 12" Rockford Fosgate P2s
    Kicker Zx100.2
    Kicker ZX400.1

Future plans:

American Bass PH4000MD (ordered)
    Add another Zx100.2
    Precision Power PC3.65c
    New Battery (undecided)
    Rewire with 1/0 awg
    Amp Rack in spare tire recess
    Sound Deadening in trunk and doors
    American Bass XD844 (in cabin/center console)
    American Bass HD12D2 (in trunk)
    Custom boxes for both subs
    Last edited by mr_naler; 12-29-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Staynlean is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 1998 Mercury Sable

Cool man, how does it sound right now with that little power? I had that same car years ago, it was a smmooooooth ride.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It sounded decent. The 70-150Hz range is really lacking. The mids are ok but leave a bit to be desired. For what I have into it, it's not bad. Sadly one of my subs is out of commission. The piece of metal connecting the spring terminals broke.

Anyways it's about to sound much better. I'm putting in an 8" sub up front in place of the center console. That will bring up the lower midbass frequencies. Then I'll just need to decide on a sub. I'm thinking Fi(either BL or Q), DC(lvl 4), or something in that category. I want something that will get down low and sound good with about 2 ft^3.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A few updates. I recently have been working almost every day for the past 4 weeks, so I haven't had a ton of time. Anyhow I've done a little swapping around with different amps/subs. I had the Rockfords in and bumpin' a lil' Yelawolf on the way to the grocery store, when all of a sudden there was no bass. I checked all the wiring and settings but still no output to the woofers. I took them out of the box and found this:

I found that and had to get something else in for the time being and this is what I had laying around:

It sounded decent, but Just couldn't keep up with anything true low notes. I contacted a member on here and got these IA Lethal Injection 12" subs:

I also swapped out my old Kicker amps for the Rockford and AB ones. Turned out my electrical system wasn't up to par(mostly stock). I put the XTR back in on the PH4000MD. It sounded much better with that much power running to it, but continued the power drain. Finally had a day off today and went and got a new head unit as my old one was messing up. Also, I purchased an AGM battery and installed it:

Oh, plus I picked up two DC lvl 4 XL 10s:

The wiring is kind of a mess right now, but I am in the process of making some kind of rack for the amps, and then I will straighten out the wiring.

I am very pleased with the DC lvl 4s. I am just going to build a box for both 10s and run them off my AB PH4000MD after I get my big 3 kit in.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Started making the box for the DCs, as well as an amp rack. The amp rack is done, save for final sanding and painting. The box is about at the same stage, only I have to set the t nuts as well. I am off again tomorrow so that will give me time to finish everything up. Here are a couple pis, more to come tomorrow:

This was right after I got back from Lowe's (the port pieces were both cut to the wrong dimensions)

This is where I stopped yesterday

Apparently Osiris thinks old sub boxes are her home now

Progress through tonight

Amp rack (so much for my 4 channel RCAs working for me, though I have some new ones on the way)

Both the amp rack and box will be getting sprayed with some bed liner in a can, after I fill in where the screws are and sand everything down. So far it is going OK for not having built a box in 4 years. I just need to get the proper tools together next time before I start. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Got finished with the box today. The paint didn't turn out well. Where I made the wood glue/saw dust mixture to fill in the screw holes stayed a bit glossier. Anyhow here's some pics:

Got it ready for paint this morning

Test fitting the box after paint

Subs ready to go in

Everything installed and ready to go

Amp rack turned out decent

I will try to get better pictures tomorrow. These subs get down better than I expected them to. I only played them briefly, but they are plenty loud. A new alternator, another battery, and more power are in my near future for sure though. I'm happy with them for now, it's time to work on the front stage.

+ Reply to Thread